Sepultura - Post Max Cavalera

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Hey,

I'm a big fan of early Sepultura, but I was just curious what the albums without Max were like? I heard Against was horrid, but Nation was a return to form a la Beneath the Remains. Can that be true?

Also, without having ever heard a single song from Soulfly, what are they truly like considering the talents of Max Cavalera?

Cheers,

JK.

:)

I generally perfer the albums after Arise!!! But that's just me, and I seem to be in the minority.

Yes Against is really awefull. In my books it would be the equilivant of Risk or Youthanasia to Megadeth, it's just not at all good.

No Nation is nothing like Beneath the Remains. I do like Nation, I think it's a great album, but lacks the raw energy that Remains produced. It's clean and well produced. On a plus note they have tone down the Tribal music.

Soulfly be weary. I also rather like these guys as well, but they aren't for everyone, in fact most purist metalheads don't like Soulfly at all and have nicknamed them Soulkorn or Kornfly.

Here's a run down of the albums:
1) Soulfly - Self Titled - Heavy album. Most songs are decent. 2 real experimental songs on. One is a Raggae/Metal mix, unfortunately I forget the name. The other is Bleed a Rap/Metal mix, extra warning Fred Durst sings in it.

2) Back to the Primitive - Completely experimental album. From great thrash songs like Terrorist and Back to the Primitive to soft and instumental songs like Son Song or Soulfly II to Rap like In The Memory Of... Most hate this album with a passion. Download Terrorist, it's worth it. Tom Araya sings with Max.

3) 3 - I don't like this album, and don't listen to it so I can't really tell you if there is any good songs. No rap though. Less experimenting. Some ppl like it better than the last.

On a Side note Soulfly don't do solo's.

I hope that this has helped you.

edit: Nation is worth listening to first. Ask a friend, or download a few songs, then you can really judge the album for yourself. :)

#2 edit: That Raggae/Metal mix song from Soulfly's first album is called Prejudice.

While Nation is a good album it still doesn't compare to Beneath The Remains or Arise, though I'd prefer Against and Nation to Chaos A.D. and Roots.

I thought 'Nation' was a terrible, utter piece of shit album. I just can't stand the new singer, and the music is below par.

Soulfly is also terrible. With their supposedly "tribal" and "rap" elements. And of course, having Fred Durst on one of their songs. That's truly repulsive to all who have been a fan of Max's.
In my opinion, I think Sepultura died with Roots. That's when they abandoned their trash sound for a more "groovy" and Korn-ish sound. And Max displays this sound now with Soulfly.

Well with the new Sepultura albums, you cant listen to it like it is a Sepultura album. I mean it's completely different. You can tell who had the musical influence in the band. The new albums are not that bad as long as you listen with an open mind.

Soulfly on the other hand, I do like. I saw them at Ozzfest and they were real good. The last album(3) wasnt that good though. I bought and havent listened to it since

Originally posted by Sack
Well with the new Sepultura albums, you cant listen to it like it is a Sepultura album. I mean it's completely different. You can tell who had the musical influence in the band. The new albums are not that bad as long as you listen with an open mind.

Soulfly on the other hand, I do like. I saw them at Ozzfest and they were real good. The last album(3) wasnt that good though. I bought and havent listened to it since

I agree with the comment on who was the "influence" in the band. Soulfly-for me is a hard sell. It's not really a "band", it's more like Max's solo albums. There's so much goin' on there with guests, ect. I just can't get into their stuff.

The best songs on Against are the tribal instrumentals.There is one song I do like,Old Earth,its mixed some tribal shit with the heavy stuff and it worked well.Unfortunately,besides the instrumentals and that track,it was crap.I sold it off a few months ago,but i did rip it to mp3 and play the good stuff every now and again.

Soulfly is complete utter shit.

man sepultura pox max realy sux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

roots had sux!!!! it had some good songs but is not SEPULTURA for sure

here in brazil they are totaly shit now!!!!!

in a nuclear assault gig here andreas, and derek went on stage to play ace of spaeds with NA and all the people on the crow spit on then!!!!!

Sepultura dont need any respect they are fucking traidors of metal!!!!!!!

I love old sepultura but they had betray all their old school fans!!
so dont have any respect for me

I can't get into Soulfly and I was first in line to buy the first one when it came out. Listened to it time and time again, had some cool riffs but they never NEVER go anywhere! Never bothered to listen to Primitive or 3.

Never heard Nation, I bought Against when it came out and gave it many many chances, there is just nothing about it that clicks like old Sepultura. Old Earth is pretty good, but honestly that's about it, and it's not Sepultura quality.

I love all Sepultura with Max, including Roots. Different, but good.

Originally posted by NAD
I bought Against when it came out and gave it many many chances, there is just nothing about it that clicks like old Sepultura. Old Earth is pretty good, but honestly that's about it, and it's not Sepultura quality.

Old Earth was the only song on that album where the band actually seemed interested in writing an actual song,whereas in the other songs just seemed to be mindless hardcore crud.

Are you guy's on bad fucking drug's or what?? Against fucking kills. Granted, my favs are and always will be Beneath...,Arise and Chaos... but Against was a fine fucking release. After the full mid paced chunk fest that was Roots (which I thought kicked ass aswell) Against came along and brought back a couple of fist clenching stompers. The title track alone testify's to that. We cover that song with my own band and everyone just goes fucking nuts. The select tracks that I've heard from Nation I was unimpressed with, and I will hold judjement until hearing it. Anyone who diss's Chaos A.D. needs his fucking head cheked. Fucking elitists.

Last time I checked, they were my ears. I find Against extremely boring. I'm glad you like it though, I wish I could!

What's with this elitist crap? "OH! You have an opinion that goes against mine! You're an elitist!!!" Grow up.

Weapon X has said it all man but I disagree what he said about Against being Awful. Unlike a lot of people I actually liked some songs off Against a whole lot but I found a few of them really boring. Many of their fans turn their backs on them now because they changed so much and they're not as heavy and thrashy as they used to be back in the days. I love all thier material up to Roots but I like their new albums too but not as much. They're much more atmospheric and tribal. I love that Floaters In Mud song cause I love how the tribal drums start that song off and how Green show cases his vocals. Rumors was also very strong and powerful song.
I liked Nation more cause most of the songs I can get into and it was pretty aggressive and it had the same feel with Against. Sepulnation is the best song on their I think.

About Soulfly... They're pretty much sound like an extension from the Roots sound with more experimentation. They get annoyingly simple and predictable at times but I like some of their songs a lot but I dont think they can ever top ealier Sepultura.

Hey Jaykay? Heard of Nailbomb before? They were this short lived side project that Max did. Pretty wicked shit. They sound like earlier Sepultura mixed with the industrial feeling that Fear Factory has. I recommend you check them out.

Do you guys see these guys getting back together down the road? I've read in interviews where Max just doesn't want to do it. Can you imagine what kind of stuff they'd come up with if they committed to doing at least ONE more studio record? Even if there were no tour.

Sepultura are worthless without Max...Just a bunch of guys that still make money with their name...Hell I don't have a skateboard,I don't wear fuckin' baggypants and don't have dreadlocks.So this stuff is not for me :p