Sepultura's Roots, Bloody Roots

Hammer of Might

New Metal Member
Jul 25, 2003
London, England
Was ever a more depressing death knell of a once great band sounded? (queue other examples no doubt)

:yuk:

It's so typical that THIS song is the one most people my age say when asked to mention a Sepultura song (and likewise, the "Roots" album). Is there any hope for metal?

:yell:

Am I just not getting something, or is this song so utterly SHIT that it isn't true? What the hell IS there in this song?

Sorry, just gave it another listen because I hear people mentioning it a lot, as "teh heaviest!1" and so on...I thought I might have been in one huge dream in which Sepultura did not musically exist before "Roots" was released.

Aah, that's better. :oops:

I reckon that song was alright... but I can't say much for the rest of that album.

I fucking love Roots. Always loved how even the guitar riffs were completely percussive. Max's incredible vocal delivery on the whole album is one of my all time favorites, so intense.

Most people that complain about Roots started listening to thrash in 2001 and are pissed they only have a handful of Sepultura albums to discover.

that reminds me. i have this version of the song with pavaratti. i'm pretty sure it's real too. there are little things that sound a bit diff. in max's vox, comparing the orig., that persuade me, that they actually did this..anyone ever heard it?

People usually pay attention to their Beneath The Remains to Arise era but I think their best album is Schizophrenia. I like how raw they sounded back then.

My favourite song on Roots is Straighthate obviously. I loved that song ever since 2000.

I personally think that Chaos A.D. is Sepultura's last really great album. They added some new elements to their sound, but still sounded vibrant and enjoyable. Roots isn't completely terrible, but it's their first spotty album with some unecessary commercial tendencies and several monotonous songs. I don't hate it, but it's signifies the point where I started to lose interest in the band.

None_So_Vile said:
Beneath The Remains is their best release.

No, Arise is the definitive Sepultura Thrash album and Schizophrenia is the best all round which is a fine blend of Thrash and Death. The first 2 Death flavoured Sepultura albums are better than that one.

As for Roots Bloody Roots. I think the album sounds a bit gay but the song RBR is a fun song and very entertaining. That album should only be treated as a fun album and nothing else.