Setting up drums and microphones.

Noumenon

Obsidian Productions
Jul 24, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
www.obsidianproductions.se
We're about to go into the studio to record the drums.
How long do you recon it will take to setup a drumset with 4 toms, 1 kick, 1 snare, triggers on everyone plus top/bottom mics and then the oh: 2 china, 2 crash, 1 ride, 1hh, 1 bell & 1 splash?

depends on how many people you have doing it, and how quickly they work. I would say ball park around an hour to set up mics and drums, maybe a half hour to make adjustments and get signal (with a console). Unless you wanna tweak the sounds alot.

totally varies, but I'd say a minimum is 2 to 3 hours....

an hour for setting up the drums, and getting mics on stands,
an hour of moving mics around
an hour of setting up headphones,session files, and final tweaks to the sounds.

Ideally I like to have 6 hours or so. This allows me time to switch mics, switch overheads, switch rooms, try different compressors on stuff....etc etc etc etc

Just dedicate one whole day to drum setup. Mess with everything to try and get the most badass drum sound you've ever heard. Then, whenever you get to that point, stop for the day and that's how long it takes. Don't bring the whole band along either, more people than needed just leads to distractions.

i can do a quickie 8-channel setup on 5-piece kit in about an hour, with another 1/2 hr. to set levels...but that's without re-positioning mics and playing around to get shit perfect

add to that another hour or so for the triggers and bottom mics

then another hour, maybe 2, of tweaking in order to get the right sound/phase relationship

i'd say about 5 hrs. is right for what you're wanting to do

also...whose idea is it put a top mic, bottom, mic, AND trigger on each of the skins? i know we all want our shit to be huge, but that seems like it might be a tad bit of overkill.