In the Dragon's Den
Mar 31, 2003
Chicago, IL
www.themetalchick.net
Seven Witches - City of Lost Souls
Crash Music - CMU61163 - Jan. 24, 2006
by Amanda J. Carlson
Sevenwitchescity.jpg

This is the re-master of album number two in the Seven Witches discography, originally released in 2000. I have to say that release date surprises me because even though it’s re-mastered, it sounds like it came from the 80s. That is their style, though. I didn’t dig the first one I reviewed, but I assumed that this one would be a step up, being their second album and all, but they did not progress with this one.

The first two songs, “The Answer” and “Witching Hour” are rough, especially the vocals. Again, they want to be Crimson Glory really bad. They don’t have the hooking power that an album should start out with. But just as I was thinking this was doomed for a real bad rating, I was slapped in the face by track four: “Atlantis.” The riff is absolutely awesome, the vocals aren’t as degrading, and the song holds solid throughout. It’s unfortunate that I can’t say the same for the rest of the album.

Aside from the one gem and a goofy remix of another song, “Pounding Metal,” City of Lost Souls is a lot of the same thing. One must consider that this is at the beginning of the band’s existence, but it feels like they are trying to hard. There’s nothing new to make Seven Witches stand out among other bands stuck in the classic metal era.

4.5/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Seven Witches Official Website
Crash Music Official Website