Seventh circle audio preamp

PaulSOCW

Sep 25, 2009
Has anyone in the UK ever ordered any preamps from seventh circle audio?

I was looking at ordering some A12's and N72's but a bit put off by the minimum of $230 shipping costs according to the UPS calculator and the possibilty of getting hit by a customs charge.

Anyone also have any good suggestions of alternative preamp choices either DIY or retail?

I will probably wait til i have a bit more funds and get 8 modules to go in a chassis and get it all shipped in one go.

Should i go for 4 x A12 and 4 x N72 or a different configuration of modules?

Due the SCA is awesome. I've got a rack with 2 n12s 3 312s 2 c84 and 1 t15. For toms and guitars the 312s are awesome for vocals and bass the n12s and for overheads the c84s. The t15 is ok on snare but I like the n12s on snare and kicks. Id say 2 n12 4 312s and either a pair of c84s or the jj99s if you can afford it would be the best configuration. I had as much fun building them as I do tracking with them.

I'm going to assume n12 = N72 since he was talking vocals, and it's a Neve clone. 312 = A12 since it is based off of an API 312 pre-amp.

I have one N72 and it is awesome. Unfortunately I haven't gotten much time with it since another engineer is here working on a record, but he gave it rave reviews.

I look forward to building a few more N72s and a handful of A12s. Hopefully the A12 sounds as good as my real APIs.

I am very impressed with Seventh Circle Audio and will probably be ordering some stuff soon. (Actually...Ben, the writer of the post before me, has shown me their stuff when at his place and at mine. I have heard his ear and am definitely impressed.)

Where can I learn what I need to learn before I even think about doing one of these? I only know a bare minimum of electric principles. My soldering skills are def good enough though, but I need the knowledge before i delve into this.

You can buy cheap circuits online or at Radio Shack to practice soldering on and get your chops up. The SCA boards are actually really nice and a lot easier to use because the solder pads won't lift off the board, unlike the cheap crap you'll want to use to practice on. All you'll really need for these kits is a 25W soldering iron, some soldering skills, and a cheap DMM so you can measure the resistors and make sure the correct voltages are getting to the test points. I recommend measuring all the resistors because there are a few that could be different values depending how you look at them. Stupid 5 band color codes. If you do get a preamp, SCA has a tutorial for each circuit that will walk you through it step-by-step and there is a forum available in case you have any questions.

Oh, that's a whole new can of worms. Understanding how a preamp works and why it was designed a certain way is going to take a long time to comprehend. Here's a bunch of links to different electronics related websites/tutorials: http://101science.com/Radiotutorialslinks.htm

I don't think not understanding how a circuit works is really important, but I can tell you that a lot of the cost is coming from the quality of the components and SCA uses top-notch stuff.

I'm going to assume n12 = N72 since he was talking vocals, and it's a Neve clone. 312 = A12 since it is based off of an API 312 pre-amp.

yeah you were right hahahh Dunno why I put that. I get confused with all these numbers after awhile LoL.

My bad!