My DIY lunchbox project

I've been looking at the API lunchboxes for quite a while now. I could really use a couple of nice preamps, and the option to easily add compressors, EQ's and preamps from several companies and the huge availability of DIY kits (Classicapi, FiveFish etc.) to the same rack chassis and power distribution made the lunchbox format seem like a really nice option.

The price for the chassis around here is unfortunately pretty steep. The larger 10 module chassis costs about 850€, which I think is quite a lot for what it is. I haven't seen a lot of them on the used market. Every now and then one pops up, but someone always snatches it almost instantly, and the Finns have a really funny habit of selling audio equipment for almost the price of the new unit. Getting one from the US would be a little cheaper, but after the shipping fees, VAT and customs it's not cheap, either.

So, I started thinking if it would be possible to make something that I could use the modules with, without getting the original API unit, or an expensive third party 2-unit chassis such as the A-Designs one. I'm not an electronics guru by any means, but I know which end of the soldering iron is used to solder stuff, I've built quite a few guitar pedals and such and I generally enjoy fiddling around with stuff like this, so I thought I might as well take the next step and try something like this. I ended up considering the following parts:

Chassis: http://www.paia.com/proddetail.asp?prod=FR-7&cat=44
This is not a 500-series chassis per se, but the module size seems to be identical to the API units (1.5" x 5.25") and apparently people have used the FracRack faceplates with the original API lunchboxes, so the modules should fit into the chassis without a problem. It's a 10 space unit, so if I'd sacrifice two spaces for the PSU, transformer, switches and LED's, I would pretty much have an eight unit 500-series compatible rack chassis. PAiA also sells empty faceplates, which I plan to get to assemble the first preamp into and cover the rest of the spaces up.

PSU: http://fivefishstudios.com/index.php/1U-Power-Transformer-Kit.html and http://fivefishstudios.com/index.php/PSU-2448mk2-Kit.html
The FiveFish PSU kit should be absolutely compatible with any 500-series modules, it shouldn't have trouble powering up eight modules and it seems fairly easy to assemble. The only thing that bothers me is working with real electricity (not the 9V DC stuff I'm used to :)), but the assembly looks really simple, and I thought I'd take the complete unit to a local amp tech to be checked before I plug it into the mains voltage.

First test preamp: http://fivefishstudios.com/index.php/SC-1mk3-Mic-Preamp.html
It's affordable, supposedly sounds very nice and clean and looks simple enough to build. Also, if I buy this, I get the PSU and transformer quite a bit cheaper.

Additional stuff:
Card connectors to be used with 500-series units, XLR connectors, wire and so on.

Overall the whole pile of stuff which should transform into an eight slot lunchbox complete with a PSU and one (1) SC-1 preamp would cost me about 350€, including shipping, VAT and customs. Not bad at all.

Granted, this won't be as convenient as a real lunchbox since I obviously can't just plug units in as I go, but it isn't too much of a hassle to solder new power, input and output wires and install new XLR sockets whenever I get a new unit. I will be starting small and filling the lunchbox over quite some time, so I'm not worried about that. On a plus side, I could easily experiment with different DIY preamps with this unit, such as the infamous $5 giant killing mic preamp.

Does this make any sense to you guys? Is there anything I haven't taken into consideration or some alternative products I should look into? I won't be ordering the parts quite yet, so there's enough time to go over this with thought before making any final choices.

Chameleon Labs is coming out with a two-slot 500 chassis sometime soon and that should be a cheap option.

Well yeah, the A-Design one is about 300GBP or so, but that's about the same price I would pay for the self made unit. In the long run, the 2-unit chassis isn't that cheap after all :/

I'll have to look into that one, though. If it's über cheap, then it would definitely be a good option.