New setup idea: RME ADI-4 DD + some API preamps...how's she sound?

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
I want to upgrade my conversion and preamps. I really only need 3-4 simultaneous channels right now for guitar, vocals, etc. This seems like a good unit for me.

I will couple it with some API or API style lunchbox preamps. How does this sound to you guys?

Does anyone have experience with the ADI-4 DD?? Is it basically a stripped down ADI-8??

thanks,

-Joe

No, it's a digital to digital converter ;)

Oh crap...

Is it? I'm really not all too well with technical jargon. I guess I should read into things further. :saint:

I was pretty set on the ADI-8, but wasn't sure if I needed that many channels. I guess it's better to go with it and have them in case I need them.

And yeah, for lunchbox pres, I will check those out. I also want to check out the Purple Audio Biz.

-Joe

Joe, I remember you asking about the very basic eq things the other day, so maybe you'd be better off getting really, really basic stuff, like RNP into MAudio Delta 66 and engineer your ass off on that. If you can make your stuff sound good on that, THEN upgrade.

I just left my Apogee Rosetta over at LSD's place for him to test and buy, because I think I won't need it for my kind of productions (everything ITB and only guitar and vocals coming in thru pre/AD). Don't be a gear-addict and waste money before you even started producing properly

First things to get would always be room treatment.

Joe, I remember you asking about the very basic eq things the other day, so maybe you'd be better off getting really, really basic stuff, like RNP into MAudio Delta 66 and engineer your ass off on that. If you can make your stuff sound good on that, THEN upgrade.

I just left my Apogee Rosetta over at LSD's place for him to test and buy, because I think I won't need it for my kind of productions (everything ITB and only guitar and vocals coming in thru pre/AD). Don't be a gear-addict and waste money before you even started producing properly

First things to get would always be room treatment.

Perhaps you are right...Right now I am using a Presonus firebox, which I do like. I've recorded cabs and acoustic guitars with good results.

I would still like to upgrade, however. To get a couple better pres and such. It doesn't have to be top of the line, but something with more gain, and something a bit more flexible.

-Joe

Problem is: what if he can't get the sound he wants ALTHOUGH he has the great piece of equipment?

Chances are that Joe will spend 2-3k for a 10% better sound. To me that's totally not worth it ...

Problem is: what if he can't get the sound he wants ALTHOUGH he has the great piece of equipment?

Chances are that Joe will spend 2-3k for a 10% better sound. To me that's totally not worth it ...

I totally agree with you man, although like the above poster said, it's difficult to not be a gear fiend. :lol: I was for a very long time with guitars and amps!

But, cats like JoshSylosis get some stunning results on M-Audio gear, so I guess I should work with my Firebox for now, treat my room, and maybe retube my 5150.

I also want to look into a better 2x12, my Avatar lacks balls.

Thanks for clarifying things smy1, I need some sense knocked into me sometimes.

-Joe