Good way to upgrade? Firepod/rme adi-2

if6was9

Ireland
Jun 13, 2007
lreland
I really want to upgrade my signal chain, even just for 1-2 channels as I've been using my firepods for a few years now, and while I can get good results I do feel it's time to move on.

I was gonna buy a focusrite isa one digital and use the spdif on my firepods to get the good signal pre/converter, but will need an adat optical/rca breakout box( m audio co2) to do this.

But recently spotted an RME Adi-2 on a classifeds board and got me thinking. I could get this, the isa one analogue and use this with spdif with my firepod. This way I get good conversion, 2 channels and get DA conversion too for monitoring/ using outboard. If someone could clarify that I can use this to be my main monitor outs when mixing with my firepod via spdif?

Both will run at just under 800 euro.

Does this sound like a smart upgrade or is there a better way of doing it that you guys can see?

My end goal is to get rid of the Firepods all together and get a Fireface 800 so I want to get some gear that will still be useful once this change happens. Both solutions as I see them will get me extra channels when I do upgrade fully down the line.

you and me are in the same boat. im looking to upgrade from my firepod. ive been looking at choices, but cant make up my mind. especially since a good upgrade will pretty much cost close to 2k. but the RME Adi-2 + firepod seems like a good alternative.

how exactly would you route these two together to use the rme convertors?

Spdif on the RME to the spdif on the firepod I figure. Shows up as 2 extra channels. I do record drums so will still have to use 8 channels of firepod for this but for everything else then I'd use the RME converters and outboard pres. They'd allow me to use outboard with better conversion than my firepods too, I've got some outboard on the way so this would be an added bonus

get a Focusrite Saffire pro 40. Half the price of the RME if you search for good deals and you'll have a significant improvement not only in sound quality but also in reliability. You'll also get added connectivity so if ever get more cash you can get a used ADI-8 or something down the road. It's a no brainer to me if i was in your position.

EDIT: For about 800 euro you could get that ISA one AND the saffire 40. I'm sure the ADI-2 is great but i would personally improve the actual interface first before getting a 2 channel AD/DA... You'll have 8 better sounding I/O + 1 great sounding pre vs the 8 not so good and 2 great one's. I would personally opt for the first one, you'll regret it once you end up using the ADI almost exclusively and wishing your 8 other inputs didn't sound like ass. Further down the road you could save up for an ADI-8 and youll have 16 channels of very usable I/O.