MH 2882 vs Audient iD22/44

MatrixClaw

May 22, 2010
Mesa, AZ
Hey guys,

I've been away from recording for a few years, but I ended up moving into a new home earlier this year, with a lot of room to setup a pretty awesome recording studio. Some years ago, I had an awesome setup, and I still own most of that gear, but I don't really plan to record/mix for profit anymore, so my plan is to sell off most of my ~$10K worth of gear and strip down to the essentials.

Right now, my main signal chain consists of SSL AlphaLink AX converters that run through an RME MADI PCI card, a Seventh Circle Audio 8-channel preamp (6 API, 2 Neve), a Peavey VMP-2 tube pre and a Distressor. A while back, I picked up a Metric Halo 2882 2d +DSP with the intent to downsize, but my Mac Pro ended up dying before I could even use it for a session.

I had all but decided to sell most of the gear and just switch to the Audient iD22 or 44 because I LOVE the small form factor/monitor controller/talkback mic, I don't need many channels, and there's the ability to expand it later if I need it... Then I looked up MH and found out they just released the new 3d card with Windows support.

Does anyone have experience between the two? Purely based on conversion (if I were to sell my pres and buy a smaller, similar-quality setup), can the Audient hang with the 2882?

I'd prefer to go with the form factor of the Audient, but the huge processing upgrade on the Mio console has me intrigued (though I never got a chance to use it before, so I don't know how the workflow stacks up to regular plugins), plus I'm hesitant to think that the Audient has as good of conversion, but the 2882 is a pretty old unit, so you never know.

Thoughts?

Price-wise, the upgrade to the 3d card and the Audient iD22 are the same (though I could probably essentially trade the 2d 2882 for one, after selling it).