Input list dilema! Too many preamps&mikes!Post your opinion!

acappa

Alex Cappa TMF Studios
Hey dudes!! Just get some time between two recording sessions. I´ve recently moved to a new place, I switched from my homestudio, to a 20m2 rehearshall place, I know, it´s small, but I think it´s the most coherent step I could make!

Well, the fact is I have 23 possible inputs:

- 7 GOOD PREAMPS: API 3124+, CHANDLER GERMANIUM & TL AUDIO PA1 VALVE ST PREAMP

- 8 GOOD ALL AROUND PREAMPS: AUDIENT ASP 008

- 8 DECENT PREAMPS: BUILT-IN SAFFIRE 56 PREAMPS

INPUT LIST:

BD ---> AUDIX D6 ---> TL PA1
SN UP ---> AUDIX I5 ---> CHANDLER GERMANIUM
SN DW ---> AUDIX I5 ---> TL PA1
T1 ---> AUDIX D2 (OR SM57 IF THERE´S T4) ---> AUDIENT ASP 008
T2 ---> AUDIX D2 ---> AUDIENT ASP 008
T3 ---> AUDIX D4 ---> AUDIENT ASP 008
HH ---> RIBBON MIC ---> AUDIENT ASP 008
RIDE ---> PENCIL CONDENSER TBONE SC140 ---> API 3124
CHINA ---> PENCIL CONDENSER TBONE SC140 ---> API 3124
OHL ---> AKG 214 ---> API 3124
OHR ---> AKG 214 ---> API 3124
TRIGGERS FOR BD,SN AND TOMS.---> SAFFIRE INPUTS

I´ve tried many possible configurations, things I´ve learned is f.e. to stay away from valve preamps when using OH´S, I see that the amount of harmonic content that the TL Audio adds makes the kick punchiers and fuller...
Gear coming: MD421, Shure B91 and ATM450
So, with these gear, any possible improvement????

Thank you so much for your time!

Alex Cappa

I would say try a Neve style preamp, but the chandler probably comes extremely close to that.

Well, my question is more oriented to: With the gear I have, you think I´d get better results by placing my mikes to different preamps? I mean, D6 to API, instead of TL Audio, or BD to Chandler......
Thanks anyway for replying!

Audients for oh! Much better than api! Imo. I use my api for snare,kick and toms!

API would probably work out better on snare/toms/kick and use the Audient on the overheads. API is known for their particular punch when it comes to drum shells.

Yup, API on kick, snare and toms works wonders. In my experience the TLApreamps don't excel at fast transient stuff. It fits better for smoother stuff than modern metal IME. The Audient pre's are decent at least, too. I'd try using the 3124 for kick and snare, Audient for the rest of the kit and Saffire for triggers. You could also experiment with TLA for an ambience mic.

Thanks for your opinions mates, they make me change my mind and re-setup my input list, for next recordings I´ll try my snare and toms inside API, my Kick D into the Chandler and OH´s into the Audients...

One more question: I usually record guitars with two mikes in Fredman possition, two SM57/I5, or a mix of both....which preamp would use for heavy guitars and clean tones???

Thank you soooo much!!:worship:

Oh, one more question, as I see there´s no much love here for the TLaudio pre´s.....(it´s worth 1000€ if I recall correctly) which would be your choice in this price range, may be I can sell it and take something else....

stay away from valve preamps when using OH´S

... strange enough, I quite like my PA-1 on OH's!!! I've thought about selling it as well, but it was a tough job so I figured I could keep it after all.
True it is that it's not at it's best on fast transients, but still a different flavour in the outboard...

Oh, one more question, as I see there´s no much love here for the TLaudio pre´s.....(it´s worth 1000€ if I recall correctly) which would be your choice in this price range, may be I can sell it and take something else....

No no no, they aren't bad at all, I just don't dig them on metal drums. Get some tube drive going on with hard rock vocals for instance, and the TLA preamps really shine IMHO.

Thanks for your opinions mates, they make me change my mind and re-setup my input list, for next recordings I´ll try my snare and toms inside API, my Kick D into the Chandler and OH´s into the Audients...

One more question: I usually record guitars with two mikes in Fredman possition, two SM57/I5, or a mix of both....which preamp would use for heavy guitars and clean tones???

Thank you soooo much!!:worship:

I'd use either the API or the Germanium for guitars. API for punchy/aggressive/tight and Germanium for huge/thick/warm.

I'd sell and probably pick up a Vintech Dual 72. It's a HUGE sounding pre, very thick and a bit dark, and it'd be a great compliment to your other pres. I got mine for $800USD.

Alex, just to make sure and clarify this; you are working in YOUR studio? Why not do a test and split the signal 2-3 ways and try which preamp you like the most with same mic position on each drum element. Match the gain and then a/b test them. You never know if you don't try, even the Saffire preamps could be really good for some applications.