Shade Empire - Human Sulptures Made Of Filth And Disgrace

Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
[IMGLEFT]http://www.russell.ultimatemetal.com/Interview/shadefront.jpg[/IMGLEFT]By Russell Garwood

Finland’s Shade Empire play symphonic, melodic death/black metal. Their music is refreshing in an often stagnant, rarely original, scene. While undoubtedly symphonic, the band’s sound lacks the bombast that many of their more theatrical counterparts use to detract attention from their music. This six piece instead replaces it with a modern, cynical feel; the atmosphere is colder than ice, but the music nevertheless conveys considerable emotion. And it’s cooler than a dead penguin in a freezer. Compelling keyboards work, unforgettable tunes, distinctly contemporary electronics and heavy guitars are all present. A tight rhythm section, unforgiving growls, and memorable singing are also vital additions to the varied music. This is cemented by top-notch song writing, lots of variation, and stellar performances from all the musicians involved. Following three highly successful and professional demos, the band’s debut album Sinthetic is now available. After listening to this almost non-stop for a month, I felt it was high time I talked to the band, and helped spread the word. ‘Hello, and how are you this fine afternoon?’ I begin

shade07.jpg

“Hello! This afternoon I’m doing just fine sitting in school and answering this interview to cheer up these boring lessons of god-knows-what” replies Antti, the band’s drummer. Ah, procrastinating, something we can all relate to! ’First off, congratulations on Sinthetic - a very cool album!’ I continue, ‘It’s been a while since it was released, what has the reaction towards it been thus far?’

“Thanks a lot! That album’s been out since April 2004, though it should’ve been out for eight months longer, and I have to say that the reaction of both media and the fans has been really good. Actually the media reaction surprised us a little, we couldn’t expect for such a warm welcome.”

Eight months is a while, what held up the album’s release? Do you think this harmed the album in any way?

“The album was delayed due to a horrible mastering session at Finnvox. We were completely unsatisfied with the first result and had to take the album back to Finnvox for remastering. But I don’t think this harmed the release or the album in any way. Sure it was late like hell, but finally we got it out!” is the heartening reply. When comparing Sinthetic to the band’s previous demo, Antti explains how the band altered the songs make them fit the album. The new versions are “much more orchestrated and at the same time more ongoing”. When considering the death metal influences present, the drummer assures me “we we’re not trying to add any aspects to the songs on purpose. Our vocalist adds a great deal of death metal into the songs with his vocals. I like the way it is done now, another style added into the colourful book of compositions.”

’Cool, so you just let your music evolve as you write and perform it?’ I ask.

“Actually, yes. Someone comes up with an idea during playing a new song and stops everyone by shouting: ‘Hold it suckers’!”

shade01.jpg

Next we move on to a subject that is very important to me. ‘The chorus of “Human Sculpture”[track three – Sinthetic]has been stuck in my head for the last three weeks. Whenever I hear it I can’t help but sing along, to the point where I did it without thinking when my girlfriend was in the car with me. Please tell me, is this normal?’ I desperately seek reassurance from Antti.

“Hahaa” he retorts “hopefully you’re not the only one. You can try to organise a support-group called Human-Sculpture-Chorus-Singers, HSCS (min. 50 members), and write us an appeal to rip that chorus off all the CD’s to be printed. I think that might just work…”

‘Oh I can assure you I’m not the only one, I’ve got my girlfriend doing it now too!’

“Brilliant! Your girlfriend sure has style! Now go and get your friends into it too!”

The track in question also features guest vocals from Nightwish’s Marco Hietala, and Spellgoth from Trollheims Grått. This came about because “Tarot and Marco Hietala were recording their album also in Kuopio, and our producer knew Marco”. Hence Shade Empire asked him if he could lend his voice, which he was willing to do. “Spellgoth is our friend from a fellow band so that was quite easy move”, the drummer explains.

shade02.jpg

Playing such a mix of genres, the band’s attitude towards the categorization of their music is refreshing. “We don’t care. Everyone has his/her own opinion and we don’t want to categorise our music. Otherwise it would set certain limits to our music what we can do and what not. We just try to stay very open what comes to music.”

‘Sounds like a good plan! So how do you go about writing the music?’

“It has been a great deal indeed. You’ll hear a different Shade Empire on the forthcoming album, I’ll promise you that. But that SE-sound still exists, and shall never fade away. Everything that sounds good to us will be released. And this is the great thing about not getting categorized or getting yourself stuck with concepts” comes the well thought-out reply. Next we discuss the possibility of touring, which is looking unlikely in the near future, but “who knows, maybe we will soon be head banging in your backyard” adds guitarist Juha Sirkkiä. On the subject of new material, Antti informs me that the band is writing presently, and it looks like there will be more variety between songs in future. The band has always tried to explore new ideas in their music, and that is their current aim.

shade03.jpg

And at this point, it seems to be a good time for the classic question, ‘Who do you consider your biggest influences?’

“Hmm…this is hard, because we all listen to such different kinds of music. It’s quite impossible to say who has made biggest impact, maybe Elvis or that whale of love Barry White…” Juha jokes.

‘Haha, cool! Where else do you look for inspiration?’ I continue.

“I think it could come from everywhere. Sometimes every day life can be very inspiring, right?”

‘Right! So you don’t have any specific influences, or pieces of art/music which you think matches the atmosphere of your own work?’

“Our keyboardist watches a lot of movies and gets inspiration from the soundtracks. The new songs are certainly showing this. But it’ll not be a soundtrack anyway…”

shade04.jpg

When speaking of the new work, it seems sensible to ask of the band’s future plans. These are, it turns out, “just playing music and being wiser tomorrow”. Something we can all aim for, I think! “It would be also nice to tour seriously and see different metal fans all over this planet” the guitarist finishes.

‘True, so what do you think of the state of the metal underground in general, at the moment?’

“I think it’s good. For example, here in Finland there are many great unsigned bands doing their own stuff. In general I think that the metal music has become more and more universally accepted.”

‘Do you think it is being helped or hindered by MP3 downloading?’

“Well there are always two sides in this. For new and unsigned bands internet is quite indispensable way to spread their music, but musicians who try to get money of their work downloading will definitely reduce their wages. This is pretty complex thing which, in my opinion, will never be solved.”

shade05.jpg

On this note our interview has to end, but take heed of Shade Empire’s final word for the UM readership:

“Don’t drown, keep reading this and listening music! Remember to eat!”

So that was what I’d been doing wrong all these years… This just leaves me to thank the band for humouring my questions, for their kind help in completing this interview, and driving me insane with one of the catchiest metal choruses I’ve heard in a very long time! Cheers guys!

shade06.jpg

All photos show Shade Empire live at Henry's Pub, Kuopio, 12th March 2004
Official Shade Empire Website