Share your 5150 preamp tubes preferences

Hi guys, I'm trying to get more definition with my 5150 head and I did some changes in the preamp section.

Actual setup is:

Power tubes: JJ 6L6 x 4

Preamp tubes:

V1 Mullard 12AX7 (Made in Great Britain -not reissue-)
V2 GT12AX7R (darker, lower gain, used in Fender amps)
V5 GT12AX7R
V3 Sovtek 12AX7WXT+
V4 GT12AX7R3 (Electro Harmonix 12AX7EH with Groove Tubes logo)

Before using this tubes I was running five JJ ECC83S in the preamp, very good tubes, but I lost some definition at high volumes.

I'm very happy with the results, the Mullard adds more clarity (specially at band levels) and a cool Marshall vibe, the rest of the tubes works fantastic, the GT-R are very transparent (Fender-Soldano crunch) and the R3 in the phase inverter is well balanced and low microphonic.

Share your preferences!

If you are comparing (any brand) 12AX7 to (insert other brand) 12AX7, or ECC83S, the differences are MINIMAL!!!! I have an extreme OCD personality and have tried Sovtek, E-Harmonix, JJ, Chinese, Tung-sol, or whatever you want to call them and have found MINIMAL difference (as have many others that have posted comparisons here). If you are talking changing a 12AX7 to a 12AT(U)7 then you may hear/notice a difference that is worth mentioning. Otherwise, Brand X V's Brand Y, don't waste your time or money. Move the Mic, 5mm sideways. ;)

You say "I'm very happy with the results, the Mullard adds more clarity.................Share your preferences! "

I'm confused. I ALWAYS go back to JJ. Power Tubes, JJ also, Sovtek, last (sorry Sovtek fans, but the low end is cardboard on Sovtek Power Tubes). Just my opinion and WTF do I know anyway? :D

I have been up for almost 24 hours, please excuse me. :zzz:

Guys, what do you think about 12AX7 Shuguang 9th gen (Penta Labs) vs. Tung-Sol? I understand that TS has the gain of a chinese tube and the tone of a Mullard. Great combo I think, but I heard somewhere that chinese tubes works the best in high gain amps.

Some people mix tubes, a popular setup is a Mullard or Tung-Sol in V1, chinese tubes in V2 & V5 and Sovtek LPS in phase inverter.

Basically tonal differences between preamp tubes are extremely minimal that it really wouldn't make a difference. The main thing when looking at preamp tubes is pretty much how much noise they have compared to others. Tung-sol are less gain than most 12ax7s but because of that they aren't really that noisy. They are also the only preamp tube I ever noticed a difference in tone aside from JJs which are a little darker sounding. They have a smoother top to them. I personally love my Ruby 12AX7HG+s as well. I have them in my Baron K88 and are nice and quiet. I also run a JAN 12ax7 in the V1 because JAN tubes are extremely quiet, long lasting, and have plenty of gain. And last I also run a JAN 5751 in the PI slot of any amp I get. They have about 80% of the gain of a 12ax7 so the gain is there but they are the quietest preamp tube as far as high gain out there. They don't make them anymore so the price is a little higher but they last longer and are far less noisy.

I went on a preamp tube bring for a long time and this is what I got out of it. I have tried at least over 20 different preamp tubes in my amps so I have an idea of what I'm talking about.

Shuguang 9th gens are pretty much the same gain and noise as a Ruby 12AX7HG+.

I'm just saying, don't worry too much about the "tone" in preamp tubes because even if there is a .05% difference that you may be able to hear, you could just dial it in our out with the knobs on your amp.

My tube experience has been a little bit more drastic than most around here as a lot will tell you that tubes don't make much of a difference. My test proved to be a little different. When I first got my 5150 is was dull, muddy as hell and has no gain. Come to find out all the tubes were GT 12AT7s. My Uncle had his Line 6 HD valve and HD147 over so I snagged one of the JJs that was in it and put it in V1. The tone difference was insane with just one tube. So I ordered a set from Eurotubes, 4 regular ECC83s and 1 balanced for the phase inverted. Obviously going from 12AT7 to ECC83S made a big difference and should considering they aren't the same tube whatsoever. But then a year later the other guitarist in my band got a 5150 that was completely filled with sovtek tubes, specifically, 12AX7LPS and 6L6WXT. The sound was something I will never forget, it was glassy, every attack had this tapping on a small tube glass sound, it was bright, it was also tight, but it had not mids and it wasn't very thick. He hated it and replaced them almost immediately with JJs becuase he liked the way mine sounded. He even replaced the power tubes with the JJ 6L6s as well.

Some time later I removed the cheap Chinese 12AX7 from my behringer preamp to replace it with the 12AT7 I had from my 5150. One day I decided to test out that Chinese in V1 to get more brightness out of the amp. It was more bright, but the mids were gone and the high end was so fucking raunchy I hit two big palm muted chords and a few open chords and turned my amp off the put the JJ back in. The thing was I expected the Chinese to sound better, but going back and forth the JJ was remarked better.

Then just recently my JJ V1 went out, I had to buy a tube at guitar center the day before a show, the only 12AX7 they had was a GT, wasn't happy but I needed a tube that day. Didn't have time to put it in until we were at the venue. My amp was indeed brighter, and after playing with it at home I noticed it too. It became almost too pointy to sharp and there wasn't that characteristic of the warm mids I knew my amp to have. Its subtle, and may not show up in a mix, but I could feel it massively.

I think outside comparing NOS and JJs most other tubes sound the same, the big difference from brand to brand is the feel. Different manufactures have more or less gain then some others, JJs have more gain than any other 12AX7 and have drasticlly larger miller capacitance making them way darker, but most other modern manufacturer have closer specs. The small differences are in feel. So without going to JJ's or NOS, expect more of a feel diiference. Tubes aren't going to make your shitty tone magically better. If you don't like your tone, it won't be the tubes fault, but tubes in some cases can make more drastic differences.

I would always recommend JJs for bright amps, especially the 5150, they are too bright, need more mids and smoother highs. Darker amps, you should use anything else. Tung Sol seems to be popular in the metal world in terms of feel if you don't like JJ's in your amp so that is a good place to start. If you wan't a slightly brighter feel, then try EH. The more old school guys like their GTs and most pf the EU guys seem to like the 9th Gen Chinese. I think from the clips you posted Deigo, JJs will be your fit, if not that, Tung Sol. But still do not expect HUGE changes in tone.

Preamp tubes are relatively cheap, experiment for yourself. You may find you are like me, liking tones that are not so popular around here. You may not like what everyone around here likes, you have to find out for yourself.

In my experience, I tried a few different tubes on my 5150 (EH, Tung Sol, Shuguand 9th Gen, JJ), and the only ones thar really makes any difference form my ears and my favourites are the Electro Harmonix 12ax7, the sound brighter and bring a more agressive tone from my 5150. Any other tubes I tested sounds similar, all darker than the EH. For the power amp, I tried JJ 6L6's and Sovteks that came with the amp, and I prefer the Sovteks, JJ's sound´s darker and with less character to me.

Thanks four share your experiences guys.

TheWinterSnow, I was a JJs tubes user, I'm not happy with the tone actually (using a Rectifier cab), so I would like to try something brighter. The clip you heard was made using a Marshall V30 cab with JJs.

I'll try Tung-Sol tubes and Winged C for power amp.

I've heard good things on 12AXs; JJs + Tung Sol in V1. But how about in a 5150 II/6505+, where it contains an extra preamp tube? Any kid of info for that extra tube slot?