Kintsugi is coming
Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, UK
Cover of Opeth - 'Coil':

Soundclick

Guitar is a Martin DX1 miced by a Rode M3 and SP B1 > Toneport UX2

Bass is DI > Toneport UX2 > Ampeg SVX > Impulse

Vocals are SP B1 > Toneport UX2

Currently, there are no vocals for the female parts.........if anybody knows of a female vocalist who would fancy doing the part over the net, let me know! Please critique it if you have time as I am not that experienced with the mixing process and am always looking to learn more. Hope you guys enjoy it!

Cheers,

Tom

Wow dude, I really like your voice, great singing! The guitar track has some unwanted hizz/noise, so try to cut that out with a gate or something. Compress the bass a little more and a slight compression on the vocals could make them sit better in the mix.

Nice work :)

Cheers for the tips, I think the vocal compression has helped slightly. I'm pretty sure some of the guitar hiss was coming from bad levels causing clipping. I monitored the original mix's meters and they were distorting past 0 for a lot of it. I had a bit of a remix and I've re-uploaded a newer version in place of the original one. Glad to hear you like the vocals!

Can you post the settings you used for the bass? Sounds really nice.

What nationality are you? I have to say, I don't really like the vocals in the intro simply because of the accent :( But the "running through the fields of sorrow" is amazing! You sound like the REM singer a lot there, it sounds great.

I'm in uni at the moment so I don't have the bass settings but I'll dig them out later. I'm British (Welsh in fact), so I suppose my voice isn't going to sound like the bog-standard American-type accent-less singing that most records have these days. Actually that got me thinking, there's not that many singers around where the accent can be distinctly recognised - i can maybe think of Simon Neil from Biffy Clyro as an example of someone whose accent comes through a lot, he sounds really Scottish on some songs. Still need that female vocal damn it! lol

How close were the mics to the guitar?
Too me it kinda sounds like they were a bit too close, but that might just be a matter of taste too :)

I find that I tend to move the mics further and further away from the guitar as I try to record it.
So the lesson I learned was: Set up the mics where you think they should be and then back them away a bit :)

Btw, you should have a pretty clean preamp as you really have to push it to get a good signal (usually)