BWBK new Interview with Mike of Opeth:

threak said:
that was the best opeth interview i have read in ages!

good shit.

Tell me about it. Not the same old run of the mill bullshit an interview usually is. That black metal project sounds killer. I've been on a huge black metal spree lately maybe that's why, but damn can you just imagine.

np: Black Label Society-The Blessed Hellride

Am I the only one who finds the concept of two 30 minute songs really disappointing? Unless Opeth do something radically different, I don't see how they could cohesively hold a song for 30 minutes straight, let alone two. I personally think their best work was on MAYH, when they decided to keep songs shorter and more cohesive. I mean this sounds like writing epics for the sake of writing epics...

RogueSpirit said:
Am I the only one who finds the concept of two 30 minute songs really disappointing? Unless Opeth do something radically different, I don't see how they could cohesively hold a song for 30 minutes straight, let alone two. I personally think their best work was on MAYH, when they decided to keep songs shorter and more cohesive. I mean this sounds like writing epics for the sake of writing epics...

I think that idea of Mikeal's is totally awesome. You bet your ass they could keep your attention.

It'd be more like two long movements with the same general thematic elements, not really a "song", per se. Quite a few bands have done music in this light, such as Dream Theater (A Change of Seasons) and Symphony X (The Odyssey), and pulled it off perfectly, IMHO. Imagine two songs of that similar nature that go together - and they're by Opeth. Totally great.

The Master said:
I think that idea of Mikeal's is totally awesome. You bet your ass they could keep your attention.

It'd be more like two long movements with the same general thematic elements, not really a "song", per se. Quite a few bands have done music in this light, such as Dream Theater (A Change of Seasons) and Symphony X (The Odyssey), and pulled it off perfectly, IMHO. Imagine two songs of that similar nature that go together - and they're by Opeth. Totally great.

I don't know about Odyssey, but I know ACoS by Dream Theater was not originally intended to be a 20 minute song, it grew to be that long since the themes in it needed 20 minutes to be explored.

Personally, I just see something like Black Rose Immortal happening, which is something like 20 minutes of riffs (although good riffs) being strung together. I also found some of the stuff on Deliverance way too long for my liking where it seemed certain parts were just repeated to make the damn thing longer...

I wouldn't take the whole Black Metal thing tooo seriously, I think it's a little tongue in cheek (like what the fuck are we going to do next) he always seems to laugh when he says it!

I am not keen on any occultism stuff coming from the Opeth camp personally, and would definitely be disappointed if we ended up with pentograms and inverted crosses on the next album cover!

I like the ideas.Anyone who took what mikeal said really seriously and without an ounce of humour has been very mistaken.

I'd like it if they came out with something weird or different again. I'm glad they didn't just do BWP II this time. If the next album is all evil, well.. that's just part of it all.

Now, long songs are great.. except I don't listen to them as much as shorter ones. They're just harder to sit through. But still, it's no matter of holding my attention. Crimson is 40 minutes and I'm pretty sure the major parts repeat at least 3 times. That serves to hold it together rather than make it boring.

"lyrics aren't my thing really".... that's uh, an interesting thing for him to say.

IF they do 'an occult' themed album I hope it's not all stupid, I hope they make it in to a concept or something. I think somethign along the lines of Faustus would be cool, they could have a story broken up into two parts, like:

Person sells soul, thinks they have all the poiwer in the world etc. etc., Realises that they are now damned and have lost everytthing at the end, with only despair for company.

I think that could work well.

Actually... that's a great idea. I love it.
Also... I don't see what's the problem with a "BW P II" :p... a return to Morningrise would be great too... I don't think they have to keep moving forward all the time... going back a little bit wouldn't be that bad.