New Interview with Mike

BurningSky

rxbandits.com
Jan 13, 2004
www.myspace.com
Two years ago, one of the most groundbreaking releases in decades brought the metal world to its knees.

Opeth's "Ghost Reveries" was hailed by fans and critics alike, even being named as the 18th best album of the last 20 years in a recent issue of Metal Hammer magazine.

The brainchild of Mikael Akerfeldt, Opeth has been around for nearly 20 years and has returned with a double live album, "The Roundhouse Tapes," which spans the band's entire catalog.

"We wanted to make sure that we concentrated on playing stuff from as many albums as we possibly could," explained Akerfeldt in a recent interview with the Tribune from a studio in Orebro, Sweden, where the band currently is working on their next album. "There are songs from all of the albums, apart from 'Deliverance.' It was a pretty good setlist."
Having previously released a live DVD, Akerfeldt noted certain limitations on that recording they didn't face this time around.

"We wanted to play lots of the early stuff because we couldn't have any early songs on the last DVD because of re-recording restrictions," he explained. "I'm really happy about some of the versions, especially some of the older songs. I think they sound better on this album than they do on the original record."

The Roundhouse is a legendary venue in London chosen specifically for the live Opeth record because of its history.

"I wasn't aware of this venue until they mentioned it to me, so I checked it out and it turns out it was used by many of my favorite bands in the '60s and '70s," Akerfeldt said. "It was a very good venue. Being in London, we had a good crowd there. I think it sounds awesome."

Going into a gig knowing that it is being filmed for a DVD and recorded for a live album can bring added pressures, but it doesn't last for too long, according to Akerfeldt.

"I guess initially through the first couple of minutes, you kind of go 'ooh, let's not (mess) up this song.' You kind of get over that after awhile," he said. "You try and enjoy yourself. Whatever (stuff) you say between the songs you want that to be extra cool. After awhile, I didn't think about the cameras."

While the audio CD is already out, the DVD version of "The Roundhouse Tapes" is slated for release in early 2008.

Akerfeldt is known for his unique style of guitar along with his opposing mix of melodic and guttural vocals. Musically, each song is a long adventure as four of the six songs on the first disc clock in at more than 10 minutes apiece, while no song in the show was less than eight minutes.

For Akerfeldt, a live Opeth show is all about the music and doesn't necessarily center too much on video screens or props.

"The core of the show is the songs," he said. "We just wanna play the songs well and have a good time playing them and maybe some interaction with the crowd. It's nothing spectacular. It's not like going to see Motley Crue. If you're a deaf guy, you can go see Motley Crue and you'd think it rocks (because) you can't hear anything."

"We've been talking about having a screen because we're not that animated on stage," he continued. "It's like we have lead boots on. It's like we stand in one place and headbang ... walk a few steps to the right and headbang there for awhile."

Currently in the studio wrapping up the finishing touches on an album scheduled for release sometime in early spring 2008, Akerfeldt is excited about the new tunes.

"I just listened to Fredrik's guitar solos. We've done four guitar solos for this album so far. Just 10 minutes before you called, I listened to the finished versions (and) I almost started crying. He's just amazing," Akerfeldt said of the contributions of new guitarist Fredrik Akkeson, formerly of Arch Enemy, who recently replaced Peter Lindgren in Opeth. "In comparison to him, I'm just a nobody. I'm just blown away by him. I love his style."

While Akerfeldt acknowledges Opeth's rise to international fame behind 2005's "Ghost Reveries," he realizes that the band probably won't become a household name because of their sophisticated style.

"I think our music is a bit too complex to appeal to a wider crowd," he said. "That's the way we like it and that's the way we're gonna continue. I wouldn't mind ... if everybody in the world loved it. But, the bigger crowds seem to enjoy elevator music. Music that you don't have to listento."

Following up an album as successful as "Ghost Reveries" is a challenge Akerfeldt feels the band has met.

"From my point of view, I think it's the best album we have ever done," Akerfeldt said of the new songs. "At the time I recorded ('Ghost Reveries') I felt the same as I do now about this album. The people I've played the demos to are like 'wow, this is really something special.' (But), it's not up to me to say."

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071226/LIFESTYLE/712260306

I take some of what he says about Akkeson with soem salt, but it still makes me excited about the new members' contributions. He was high on Axe as well, so things seem to be lining up for a kick-ass album.

one of the most groundbreaking releases in decades brought the metal world to its knees.

Right.
GR's not bad, but that's just exaggeration.

excellent interview.....good to hear that the "new guy" guitarist is exceeding Mikey's expectations....thats how it should be...will be interesting to hear him on the new record....best of luck guys...!!!!...PEAC EOUT

one of the most groundbreaking releases in decades brought the metal world to its knees.

Right.
GR's not bad, but that's just exaggeration.

So what?

The new album really should be pretty good. It's propably second in my list of "most anticipated albums of 2008" just after "Wintersun - Time".

I'm starting to get really exited for the new album, GR wasn't great but I did like it, claiming it's their best album ever is a pretty tall order but he seems fairly confident so im eager to hear it.

Right. Dont get me wrong, i though GR was amazing. i just thought the comment was a little over the top. :)

rock on.

It is over the top, all this media bull shit makes me sick, it's disgusting to read crap like that where things are blown out of proportion.

lol @ first sentence of the interview. As much as I love Ghost Reveries, this is waaaaay over the top. Good interview nonetheless, seems like Mike is truly excited about it. His talking about it and saying all those things makes me excited too.

I can`t fucking wait for this new album, but I hope that Fredrik has done good solos and not dragonforce`s solos.
Nice interview thanks.

Speaking of dates, they pushed the DVD release date to sometime in the next september?! That's pointless.. releasing a dvd from an 'ex-lineup' when your current lineup's album is selling. I can imagine a kid who's just turned an Opeth fan listening to Holocaust in the Moon (lawl) and grabbing the dvd some months later to find out that it's the 'old' lineup featured on it? :zombie:

It is over the top, all this media bull shit makes me sick, it's disgusting to read crap like that where things are blown out of proportion.

That's an over the top statement too.

The writer probably isn't too familiar with metal (Great Falls Tribune?) and wanted to give some perspective for other non-metal fans - a bit of misguided and uninformed perspective (that his editor probably loved), but at least its more positive press for Opeth.

Good interview. Should be a sweet album!

That's an over the top statement too.

The writer probably isn't too familiar with metal (Great Falls Tribune?) and wanted to give some perspective for other non-metal fans - a bit of misguided and uninformed perspective (that his editor probably loved), but at least its more positive press for Opeth.

Good interview. Should be a sweet album!

Well, I've seen so many examples with similar statements it's getting on my nerves. I was speaking in 'general' not just about this one article.