Short question about Slate VTM

Flow Of Time

Oct 6, 2012
Right now, I'm just loading it up on my master track fx (reaper), before I start mixing. Is that right or is there a more "correct" way of proceeding?

If by "correct" you're referring to emulating a traditional tape workflow, you would put an instance of VTM set to 2" on every audio track, and then put an instance of VTM set to 1/2" on the master fader.

The beauty of using a DAW though is that you can, and should, use it however and wherever you want.

Thanks for your answer!
Probably dumb question:
Is there a difference between putting VTM on every track and putting VTM on the master track?

It concerns me when people ask questions this fundamental about things they have spent a significant amount of money on. Do some research.

I believe he meant whether there would be an audible difference between putting VTM on every single track on the mix as opposed to putting a single instance on the master bus.

The answer to that question would be 'yes'. Also, if you were to have a computer with enough processing power to be able to handle VTM on every track alongside VCC and all your processing plug-ins, then I would commend you.

Didn't want to sound rude, I think I was in a bad mood when I wrote it, but the sentiment remains. If his question was more subtle, then apologies.

It concerns me when people ask questions this fundamental about things they have spent a significant amount of money on. Do some research.
Well I've seen more stupid questions on forums. One guy had bought Cubase, full version, and asked how do I do to record? :lol: I'm amazed how many stupid questions exist. Seem to be so few that bother to read manuals nowadays. No why ask? That's what forums are for.:puke:

I believe he meant whether there would be an audible difference between putting VTM on every single track on the mix as opposed to putting a single instance on the master bus.

The answer to that question would be 'yes'. Also, if you were to have a computer with enough processing power to be able to handle VTM on every track alongside VCC and all your processing plug-ins, then I would commend you.

Yupp, I meant it that way^^
Nevertheless, the question was dumb... :rolleyes: