Shot my first music video!

Glenn Fricker

Very Metal &Very Bad News
Mar 6, 2005
22 Acacia Avenue
Ok, that's not completely true.... I've shot three videos before this backin my college days, but this one is actually worth releasing!

The band is "Assassinate the Following" and the song is titled, "I Once Was."

This was shot at the beginning of November in an old vaccum cleaner factory.

Best viewed in 1080HD.

Enjoy & please feel free to comment or ask questions!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a sucker for details... at 0:53 there is a 58 with no cable plugged in to it, and I don't really like the uber warm lighting mixed with the cool lighting, that's just preference I guess

Looks pro though, did you shoot it with the Canon? Were these shots handheld or did you have a dolly or something

In my video-noob opinion it is great! I don't understand about lighting and technical words, but I would trust what arv_foh says, he is an awesome photographer.

Congrats for the vid Glen.

On the other hand...
I agree with what Lasse said, the band sounds very good but music is pure crapcore.
Sometimes I miss the good old heavy metal denim and leather dressing.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Music: I'll work with anyone. These guys show up to the studio prepared, and usually nail their stuff in one or two takes. In terms of professionalism, I wish more bands were like these guys. I get that the music isn't everyone's cup of tea, but they do have a following.

Lighting: I wanted to go for something crazy.... I thought music video was about breaking traditional rules (but that mic was unplugged, arv!... we fixed that as soon as I realized it.) Back in college, I picked up an award for lighting a video in a very non-traditional way. Oh well, tomato-tomahto & all that.
But, we did get extremely lucky with the Sunset. That was totally improvised. I saw the sun coming through the windows & just went for it. I'm very happy with the result.

Technical: Shot on a Canon60D & Glidecam HD1000. Should be renamed the Glidecam "Backbreaker" because it's fucking painful to use over extended periods of time. If this video thing takes off, I'm going to invest in a full vest/arm rig. That & a few more lenses would be nice. I've got my eye on the Sigma 20mm f1.8 for the low light Glidecam stuff. Shot most of this with the el cheapo Canon 18-55mm f3.5 that comes with the T2i.

The tripod/stop action was shot with the Canon 35mm f2.8 which is really sharp. It's a little too tight of a shot for Glidecam work, though, as on an APS-C sensor it's the equivalent of a 55mm.

Unseen: We shot all of the stop action stuff first. The spin shots were all shot as stills & then sequenced into the video. I'm not sure if you can see it, maybe I'll upload some of the stills, but I was hurt pretty badly while doing the 'drum spin' shots.

As I said, this was an old vaccum cleaner factory. Along the wall behind the band, is an air-line. Little pipes just out from the wall about five inches. Painted exactly the same colour. Well, as I'm running around the drumkit at top speed taking these rapid-fire stills, i ran right into one of these little bastards. Hit me right in the middle of the upper leg & I took a serious wipeout... but, managed to hang onto the camera! If you look closely, in some of the shots, you'll see a little bit of white on the wall. I marked the pipe so I wouldn't run into it again!

Consequently, all of the motion shots you see with the band actually playing were with me running around on a throbbing leg. That really, really hurt.
We shot that around November 20th & I've still got a welt on my leg.

Oh well, suffer for the art!
-0z-

I quite like it - the sun coming through the window is a very nice shot.

I don't actually hate the music either. Although some of the drummer shots look a bit weird... like... the way he hits the snare in a few places doesn't quite gel with the sound - imho.