Should I buy a preamp ?

alex2411

Dec 29, 2013
Montral,canada
Hello everyone ! I was wondering if buying a art pro mpa 2 would improve my recording sound because I only have an m-audio fast track uktra as a sound card? Should I invest in a better soundcard instead :/

Thank !

I'm wondering, what do you think is wrong with your recording quality? What do you think will improve with a "better" preamp?

Well I think my preamp sounds kinda muddy , especiLy when I record vocals , the line input is ok I guess but the mic pre are muddy :/ I think a better mic pre would inprove my mic sound quality and my DI sound. But like I said I dont wanna spend 400$ if I cant hear any improvement because of my converters.

From my (little) understanding on this subject, you probably won't hear much of a difference until you start getting into the $1,000+ pre's.

Thus why I stick with my Profire 2626 instrument input. Considered the Countryman 85, but afraid the Profire's conversion is just going to put me back to where I've started.

From my (little) understanding on this subject, you probably won't hear much of a difference until you start getting into the $1,000+ pre's.

i would have to disagree with that... the golden age and capi stuff is pretty great and comes in way under $1000. BUT imho you should try to get the best mixes with the gear you have - it will only make you a better mixer in the end. i would def invest in sound treatment, quality instruments/amps, and quality mics before a preamp.

Thus why I stick with my Profire 2626 instrument input. Considered the Countryman 85, but afraid the Profire's conversion is just going to put me back to where I've started.

You are Correct!