Should I get NS10's?

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
So I'm planning on spending around $1000 on a pair of monitors this summer, and was planning on getting Adam A7's, but it occurs to me that since I'll also be getting a Blue Sky Mediadesk (for both a second reference set and for general music listening), I'll want the most unflattering and true sound for my main monitors as possible - and what better than the venerable NS10's? So whaddya guys think? A7's or NS10's? And what power amp should I use with 'em?

Well, I think you'd be better off getting the A7's then. I like NS10's only as a reference speaker to double check the low end.

did u decide against the MSP5's ?

in the future im looking to get those A7's for a second reference

also i never heard of bluesky are they good? what are they like a Consumer/studio quality?
and what are you looking at the 2.1?

Its obviously a debateable topic as to whether a break in period is even necessary or required among the audiophile crowd, so I guess its a matter of preference. In theory, this is to loosen up the tolerances quicker so it gives more 'aged' or worn in and used sound as opposed to the 'new sound' that some audiophiles claim to hear.

In the real sense, I'm not that stuffy to give a rats rump unless I would think it would make a noted difference in the performance of the product. In theory would it or would it not make a discerable difference. Probably I would say, only to someone who really is looking for something.

I did happen to buy a new pair of them at a reduced price and, in the minute or two I tried them out I thought they sounded like crap, very flat, no coloration.. now, I have yet to do this breaking in period, but I would hope it would make a possibly a difference..but maybe it won't.
I'm quite sure I have to make an adjustment in how I listen with them as well as how I hear them as they are quite different from any phones I've used.
So based upon that, as well as a recommendation I read on a reviewer of these specific phones to have a break-in, is why I suggested it.-Good enough?

So I'm planning on spending around $1000 on a pair of monitors this summer, and was planning on getting Adam A7's, but it occurs to me that since I'll also be getting a Blue Sky Mediadesk (for both a second reference set and for general music listening), I'll want the most unflattering and true sound for my main monitors as possible - and what better than the venerable NS10's? So whaddya guys think? A7's or NS10's? And what power amp should I use with 'em?

I was always under the impression that NS10's weren't exactly 'true' sounding as they have a hyped top end, hence the tissue paper trick. I certainly wouldn't want them as my main monitors.

I was always under the impression that NS10's weren't exactly 'true' sounding as they have a hyped top end, hence the tissue paper trick. I certainly wouldn't want them as my main monitors.

That is true they arent very acurate in the low or high frequencies which is actually why they are perfered. they have a clear mid range which is where a majority of the sound is any way so the idea is that you get it right sounding on the ns10s and then tweak the lows and highs on other more acurate monitors. At least this is what i have been taught.

My teacher said basically if you can get the song to sound good on them they will sound good on everything. So i would say get the ns10s.

I'd say get the Ns10's seeing as they're discontinued, because you could always get the A7's another time.

unless of course you're able to get the Ns10's at a later stage.

That is true they arent very acurate in the low or high frequencies which is actually why they are perfered. they have a clear mid range which is where a majority of the sound is any way so the idea is that you get it right sounding on the ns10s and then tweak the lows and highs on other more acurate monitors. At least this is what i have been taught.

My teacher said basically if you can get the song to sound good on them they will sound good on everything. So i would say get the ns10s.

This is right on from my experience. I finally bought some NS-10s last year and they're really nice to work with. There have been plenty of situations where on my KRK RP-8s, I can't quite pinpoint what needs to be adjusted, or I just can't quite make up my mind about something...but switching over to the NS-10s either reveals what needs to be adjusted, or creates for me a sense of confidence in how it was already set. In the midrange, they just somehow sound very trustworthy to my ears.

The tree they used for the cones was dying in the arse or something.

Personally I hate NS-10s and they'd be one of the last speakers in the world I ever pay for. I'd rather a boombox or something of the like for a hundred bucks.

Id get em....
But id get the a7's first. but thats just me.

Theyre discontinued becuase the wood pulp used to make the cones became scarce

Thanks guys, really helpful, and food for thought. Zombie, the MSP5's still look great for the price, but I landed a pretty sweet paid summer internship, so my budget jumped up substantially following the joy of the prospect of lots of money. :D And Blue Sky apparently is one of the most incredible values in monitoring out there, and they have a unique philosophy where every one of their sets includes a closed-box Sub, which they feel is superior to the standard ported-box big-cone design of most monitors (on their website, they explain their philosophy, which makes a lot of sense). Still, I want a pair of good nearfields cuz they've been good enough for most of the guys I idolize, as well as the fact that I think subs are a bit flattering (though I've never heard a properly calibrated one before). So I'm planning on getting both!

Also, what about the MSP7's, which are pretty much in the price range of A7's? Anyone have any experience, they're the flagship Yamaha model, and they seem to want to market them as NS-10's with improved full-range response...

I was always under the impression that with the NS-10's sounded crappy, and if you could make the music sound good on them, then they would sound good on anything.

Do you have an audio store where you could go and sample the monitors? I did that one day with a set budget and walked out with some Tapco's which were in my price range at the time.