20000 Feet
Dogs Of War
Witchfinder General
Crusader
Wheels Of Steel
Princess of The Night
Solid Ball Of Rock
Denim & Leather

Some real Goodies in there! If you can read german, there will be a review soon (and some nice pictures) on www.home-of-rock.de
I will let you know when it is online if you like.

Jörg

Hi,

I found time to write now a bit longer review.

Me and friend came not too late, but due to a slow moving row in front of the entrance at the E-Werk , we entered when the 1st support was already playing.
Metallion wasn’t so bad, and for the 1st 30min support act, they were pretty good. A bit Helloweenish imho but quite ok, and they managed to make the people in front of the stage move, yell and wave their arms, which is not too common for their role.

About Dream Evil…ok, first of, I consider it a big mistake to enter the stage with some “cool” outfit, coloured faces, weird clothes and such. After all the typical Saxon audience is more down to earth, and I’d say Saxon isn’t the best act for Dream Evil to be on tour with.
About the music, unfortunately, I got to say, they bored me. They weren’t bad, but simply not exiting, very simple stuff, 1000s times heard before, and average arranged. The good point was the drummer, being a musician myself, I got to say, that guy looked totally weird and crazy, but he was the best new drummer I’ve seen for a long time. Dream Evil depend on that guy, he was the only one who was able to give their songs the special kick, I prolly would have fallen asleep without him on the drums.

About Saxon…I am not too sure if Jörg’s playlist is all that correct. The songs are right, but the order might be a bit off imho, but it doesn’t matter.
Saxon played a great show, Biff was in very very good mood. He was joking around all the time.
Not much to say, you all know how good they can be, and they had one of their even better days, which means they can knock any other band off the stage in a competition.
:D

My friend didn’t see Saxon before on stage, and I think his comment after the show says enough: “That’s the first time after a concert I consider to look where the band plays tomorrow, if’s it’s not too far I would go there…”
He was simply in awe, which happened to another friend I invited to Saxon live as well. They simply seem to make people addicted once you’ve see them live.
Hehe

One sidenote about Jörg Michael…

I’ve seen him before a couple of times, with different german HM bands, and as a german myself, and also musician, you look a bit closer into the german metal musician scene. I always though Jörg is a worldclass drummer. But what was important, yesterday I saw him really enjoy playing. In the bands before he looked like doing his job, not more (nothing bad with that, he is extremely good at doing his job :D ). Yesterday he enjoyed the set, and was even trying to improvise….ok, I got to admit, with Biff’s habbit of disordering all songs, and playing what comes into his mind, I felt rather sorry for Jörg, but he did very very well, and gave Saxon some good, straight heavy punch whenever they played something faster. Give him another year in the band, and I bet he kicks ass.
20.000 feet with Jörg on the drums was simply awesome, but I fear that poor guy must have some practice drum in the tour bus and practice all day long to keep up with Biff’s decisions.
I hope he has a bright future with Saxon, he’s the best they ever had, he just needs to groove more, but that will come with time.

Wow..killer setlist...they must have played close to 2 1/2 hours a bet...adding a few more classics to the setlist (Backs to the wall, And he bands played on, 20.000 ft.) looks like a good idea to me here, this should make everyone happy now....

The started 21:08 ( I checked the clock :D ) and somewhen around 23:25 the lights went on again. It was really really great.

Hey Guys...

I think the Setlist is pretty accurate, I wrote it down. :headbang:

Regarding Jörg Michaels, I think he just need s to listen to a Saxon Track once or twice and he can play it, and yes, Kelly, he certainly enjoyed himself. Saw him with Stratovarius and he was nothing like that. Damn, we all grew up with Saxon. I saw them first in 1983 on the Monsters Of Rock Festival in Dortmund. The band was absolulty fab, and Biff rocked the house. The remarks of the flower, killed me... :Spin:

Guess my review and pics will be online tomorrow.

Jörg

Hi to all you Saxon Maniacs out there !

Just wanted to let you know that I recorded the Cologne show on Tuesday and although I have not had the time to listen to it I'm sure it will turn out great !

So if anyone is interested just drop me a mail and maybe we can work something out.

My e-mail address is: haki.reumont@web.de

If there's anyone out there who also has master-recordings of the tour please write too.

Best wishes
Haki

Hallo,

ich war sowohl in Köln als auch gestern in Neu-Isenburg.

Inhaltlich kann ich den Konzertbericht aus Köln nur bestätigen.

In Neu-Isenburg war der Sound generell klarer, was aber in der Natur der beiden Hallen begündet sein würfte.

Auch die Jungs von Dream Evil haben an sich gearbeitet:
Die Ansagen waren nicht mehr so holprig, sowohl inhaltlich als auch verbal, und die Komikermaske des Drummers war verschwunden.....
In Köln sah das optisch doch sehr nach RAMMSTEIN in den Anfangstagen aus....

Ansonsten warten wir mal auf die 2005-er Saxon Tour, soll im Februar laufen, hat BIFF in Neu-Isenburg erwähnt...

Gruß

OUZO

Awesome show! :headbang:

That was my 5th Saxon gig, although not the best (yet great!) they somehow keep getting better. Most other bands get boring in their older ages, Saxon still is developing!

I am a rather critical guy with other bands and my own music, and the two support acts didn't impress me. Nothing innovative and not really genuine. The Dream Evil drummer though, as mentioned above, was hilarious with his mask. His playing was awesome, really own style and groove.

The Saxon show was absolute fun. I was front row (like always :p ) and went absolute crazy. I love the Lionheart album and they really did a great job presenting it. Very powerfull and dynamic, and for my taste a huge musical step from Killing Ground.

The most admirable man on stage was Paul Quinn. I always have the impression the gigs are a torture for him (I believe he has some problems with his back or something) as he moves very little and closes eyes between the songs with a painfull facial expression.
Nevertheless his playing is so awesome, and he is really getting better. I remember on the Killing Ground tour, Doug was doing most of the new solos and Paul the older ones. Now Paul has done most of the Lionheart solos and he did an awesome job with that. He has a very unique sound and feeling in his solos which is absolutely brilliant. He is not the fastest, but he has got soul and really feels his solos. It is like he's going into another sphere. This was his best show I've seen so far, on Graspop this year he was already great. A really nice guy, it seems he lives for the music.

Biff did a great job like always. His voice was very good that eveving. I remember on the KG tour he had some problems when singing high, but this show was really a constant performance. Really close to the studio version of Lionheart. And of course he captured the audience like always.

Doug, being calm as always, did a good show but I've seen him doing better. Although he is the faster of the two, he lost a bit of accuracy while soloing. . Paul, whose solos where more present, is really catching up to Doug.

Nibbs was banging and going nuts like always. He is the most agile and fittest of the guys and that is important for the band to have someone to do some action :) Other than that he did a good job, but as a guitarist I payed more attention to Paul and Doug.

The surprise of the evening was definately Jörg Michael. Man, he has got some power! Very accurate and dynamic player, with great tone and feel. Some minor mistakes, but hey he is new to the band and Biff's habits :) Again, very close to the Lionheart studio drumming, but not sterile at all! And as mentioned above, he was really digging his job, he always had a smile on his face and seemed fascinated by his drum kit :)

The funniest moment was during Wheels of Steel. The band stopped to do their traditional sing along part, but the fans where already singing "Whoho ho hoho" before Biff could say the first word. We kept singing at least 5 minutes and Biff almost gave up. Somehow he got the word back and so the usual procedure began. He said three times, and I put 4 fingers in front of my face like Biff always does. He saw that, was laughing and said 4 times. Another one demanded 5 times, which was the final result.

The most surprising song, besides Backs to the Wall and Unleash the Beast, were Solid Ball of Rock anbd Dogs of War. I haven't heart these since Wacken 2001 and I think they are absolutely fantastic songs for playing live. Powerfull and awesome to sing along with.

All in all, a brilliant show (what we are used to from Saxon) and I guess they will never get boring. Only downside: the next day my voice is gone and my neck hurts :loco: