Shredding Opinions??

ProgMetalFan said:
Listen to Petrucci's solos in songs like "Take the Time" and "Surrounded".. there's much more feeling and melody than his recent output, in my opinion.

ANOTHER DAY.

The melody and the solo in that song - still my favorite thing Petrucci has done and told him so at a guitar clinic many years back. I had known of the band from Pull Me Under - so after finally getting the CD with that being the only tune I had heard, it rolled right into Another Day - I heard that melody, heard the alto sax, and immediately knew I would love these guys.

As for the latest CD........ I definitely like it plenty - but it isn't the era DT I definitely miss (92-97). I will wait to make estimations about where the band stands in my favorite band list until the next CD - they went out to make their own version of a classic metal album with TOT and that's what they did so I'll give 'em that for sure. Whether they can do something that will measure up to the older albums or even Metropolis Pt 2 for the next one, we'll have to wait and see......

Douglas A. Ott said:
Jim,

I understand your disappointment. I think you would have liked to hear the album versions live, which a lot of people do, and there is something to be said for reproduction but I also like some evolution in music as well. The live Enchant stuff is close to the original recordings but we like to add lib a bit here or there. I think Neal wants to show people how good he is because a lot of guitar lovers don't think he's that great. So maybe he is showing off his abilities...unfortunately to the detriment of the song.

Singers do this a lot too. Where they change the phrasing or melody because they are bored or something. Steve Walsh doing the Wall live comes to mind...I almost didn't recognize the song. David Lee Roth was a big culprit of doing this as well...he'd rather do kicks and run around than sing the tunes.
Doug,

Actually I love when bands add lib a bit. To be honest, I can't listen to the studio version of Below Zero anymore because I miss the live version's excellent ending solo you guys do now like at NF, and Live at Last:Spin: Its just I dont like when guitarist shred when the song doesnt warrant it and Neal did that. If you started shredding at the end of the solo in Comatose, it would sound like shit.

I think the phrase changing thing is because vocalist are a lot times ego maniacs. Walsh likes the spotlight and DLR, no explanation needed. IMHO Marillion's Fish, moreso, and Hogarth, to a slight lesser degree, can fit in that category too. Thank god, Ted is like the antithesis of the typical singer.

Excited about the new DVD and CD!!!!
Jim

Welll, Meshuggah has two guitar players, both using custom-made 8-string monster guitars ... and they don't "shred" one bit ... it's more like tearing apart the sound with their minimalistic playing ... ballsy music!

:OMG::OMG::OMG: