Shredding

Eternal_Frost

Mar 24, 2004
Nanaimo , BC Canada
Ive been playing bass for 3 years and recently my brother bought a guitar. I've been practicing it for quite some time and from what I've been told , Im very good at it ( which kinda sucks cause I've been playing bass for 3 years and have not heard much praise or compliments , but as soon as I pick up a guitar and practice it for a few months , the compliments roll in lol )
Anyways im interested in starting up a blackend power metal band with neo-classical influences , and I was wondering if anyone here can give me a link/show me tips on shredding , techniques , videos , etc , etc. thanks!
- Dan :headbang:

Eternal_Frost said:
Ive been playing bass for 3 years and recently my brother bought a guitar. I've been practicing it for quite some time and from what I've been told , Im very good at it ( which kinda sucks cause I've been playing bass for 3 years and have not heard much praise or compliments , but as soon as I pick up a guitar and practice it for a few months , the compliments roll in lol )
Anyways im interested in starting up a blackend power metal band with neo-classical influences , and I was wondering if anyone here can give me a link/show me tips on shredding , techniques , videos , etc , etc. thanks!
- Dan :headbang:
Just start out with both full chords (multiple strings) and scales. You can get those from a simple guitar instruction book. Even the ones you pick up with the guy on the cover that looks like he is straight out of the 50's is invaluable. Much of the technique will actually come on it's own. Those odd chords may never get used unless you play a lot of clean or acoustic, but they are extremely valuable for note selection and once you become an intermediate player, you will appreciate them.

Bryant

Well what you can do is go on a search engine like google, for example, and type in a scale you want to learn. Say you type in "minor pentatonic scale tab" you will get tab results on how to play that scale. Try different scales in the search box then learn them.

Well, I'm not sure about the technical ability coming on it's own. I've found that doing technique excercises have really helped me improve faster and become more accurate more quickly than I was without them. If you're interested in shredding, then two things are going to be important, technique and music knowledge. If you're serious about it, it doesn't seem smart to me to learn scales from tabs. It's important to understand how the scales are put together so that you can know what you're doing on guitar instead of just being confined to what the tabs show, which really doesn't mean much. I would say the same with chords that you should learn how triads work at least instead of just learning chord positions. It will be much easier to put them together on you own once you learn about how triads work.