Sid Barrett vs. Roger Waters

I'll side with Sid. Mind you, I'm ever so fond of Waters-era output, but it's all so... fenced-in and 4/4 and sing-along (okay, not all of it, but a lot!). Which is good, but which also has its limits.
Sid's stuff was more disconcerting, dizzying, odd, frightening, and unnerving. I think this era of da Floyd was most potent. I hope ol' Sid's not still peeping out the mail slit in the front door and cowering at shadows. Poor lad.
Just imagine what music we'd have if he'd never totally gone off the latch.

Mind you, if you also want to speak of post-, not pre- Waters-fronted-Floyd, I am maybe the only person who actually sorta liked the Division Bell.

Both of them have done cracking songs. I prefer Waters though cos his stuff is more BITTER :) but Syd is a legend in his own right.
post-Waters Floyd is a forgery, just like our Roger said. They kept the name, got the chance to BULLSHIT to the media, had loads of money pumped into them. I feel for you Roger, I really fucking do.

I view it as three different eras. I love the barrett stuff. Waters did however really define what pink floyd were about, while Gilmour & co. later just rode the wave.

Victor Meldrew said:
I am maybe the only person who actually sorta liked the Division Bell.

No youre not. I like the album, but its not really a floyd album in my book. While both barrett and waters had a very personal approach to their songs this album lacks identity probably because there were so many people involved in writing and producing it. High hopes is a winner though

My vote goes to Waters.

Never really liked Syd Barrets Floyd stuff, although there were one or two off his solo albums that I enjoyed a lot. Waters takes the prize any day, he was Pink Floyd, and I agree that Gilmore took the piss by reforming the band several years after they disbanded minus Roger to exploit a £million trademark when he never really conrtibuted much to the band in the first place apart from some nice guitar solos, and when he was in fact unable to write for said latter Floyd albums therfore having to pay some external geezers to write for him ..

( deep breath , cough , splutter )

I like the Division Bell too. There are a couple of songs on it I really like.

I like the "waters" albums best uptill Animals, you know, like Meddle and DSOTM and WYWH. The Wall and The Final Cut aren't my favorites. Just like I can't really get into Waters' solo stuff.

By the way, I saw Waters on his In The Flesh Tour a few years back. That was great!

I don't like The Wall & The Final Cut either. Too moany. The rest rocks. Roger looks like a horse, though. Horses scare me.

Mick Moss said:
Never really liked Syd Barrets Floyd stuff, although there were one or two off his solo albums that I enjoyed a lot. Waters takes the prize any day, he was Pink Floyd, and I agree that Gilmore took the piss by reforming the band several years after they disbanded minus Roger to exploit a £million trademark when he never really conrtibuted much to the band in the first place apart from some nice guitar solos, and when he was in fact unable to write for said latter Floyd albums therfore having to pay some external geezers to write for him ..

( deep breath , cough , splutter )
Aye, time to drag up that link again
http://www.wicasta.com/pinkfloyd/
http://www.wicasta.com/pinkfloyd/penthouse1988.html

*syd was boss his breakdown was a crying shame

*waters became a great songwriter but should have knocked it on the head after the wall, instead of trying to do a band album after that

*gilmour was a great singer/guitarist but the only way he could have justified carrying on with the name is if he had the ability to compose good floyd albums without outsiders doing it for him.

seeing as neither he or the other two had that ability, they should have quit there and then... after the last wall show.

well thats my tuppence for what its worth

pagan2002 said:
*syd was boss his breakdown was a crying shame

*waters became a great songwriter but should have knocked it on the head after the wall, instead of trying to do a band album after that

*gilmour was a great singer/guitarist but the only way he could have justified carrying on with the name is if he had the ability to compose good floyd albums without outsiders doing it for him.

seeing as neither he or the other two had that ability, they should have quit there and then... after the last wall show.

well thats my tuppence for what its worth

Well, I like all their albums and, besides the circumstances, I am glad that Roger and David recorded The Final Cut together because that's Gilmour's guitar sound. And AMLOR & TDB are very NICE albums and that makes them very unique. :worship:

Waters anytime. Syd's stuff always sounded too dazed and confused for my liking, as if he was off his head...oh hang on, he was ;) "I've got a bike" and all that? No thanks!