Review: Roger Waters - Amused to Death

OdinsCourt

Valhalla
Sep 26, 2003
MD, USA
www.odinscourtband.com
It's been a while since I wrote up my thoughts on a favorite album of mine, so here we go...

Amused to Death has been described as Roger Waters’ answer on the 1st Gulf War. However, it is more than that. It captures the essence of the human spirit and a myriad array of emotions. It explores the downfalls of modern society, mankind’s shortcomings, and displays a sharp view on our behavior. From religion to war to entertainment to work to much more, Waters reminds us of where we are and where we’re headed.

One of the many things I like about this album is that it doesn’t give you instant gratification. You have to listen several times before you start to appreciate its greatness. Although it’s nice to like something initially, I find that things that catch you 100% right away have an appeal that quickly loses it’s attraction; while on the other hand something that is worked for will tend to grow with time (rather than fade). Don’t get me wrong – there is plenty to keep your attention and make you raise an eyebrow on your first listen, but the beauty lies beyond that – you’ll find yourself liking it more with each hearing.

Lyrically speaking, this is the best complete work Roger has ever put out to date. He has mastered the art of using words to express any point he wishes to convey. He also is able to do it without getting too over the top or out there, which is one thing Pink Floyd was always know and loved for (i.e. less is more). He uses creative metaphors, allegories, imagery, etc. to manipulate the listener’s mind into even the most obscure emotions. I’ve always held Waters as the “best” lyrical writer of Rock N Roll, and if you don’t agree, this album will definitely make you wonder if maybe he is not the best there is after all.

Also, Roger uses another tool for his work to give it more personality and depth – a World War I vet. Alf Razzell narrates over the opening and title tracks. To quote Alf, I found myself “absolutely transfixed” by his words as I listened. Hearing what he says and visualizing yourself in his position, it’s hard not to feel the pain and sorrow he has carried through life. His phrasing, vocal tone, etc. all contribute to this.

That, and of course, Waters’ amazing production. The way the narration is broken up over the music is brilliant, and it is done over the perfect musical backdrop. Sounds of nature, synths/keys, percussion, and guitar (done tastefully and soulfully by Jeff Beck) provide an atmosphere that is essential to developing the mood. Waters has always been a topnotch producer, and this album shows no exceptions. He demonstrates to us again why most every album he has been involved with since Dark Side of the Moon has been such an amazing, conceptual, musical journey.

The music is, as a whole, close to perfection. Some could argue that it lacks the excitement that Pink Floyd often displayed. While I can see this point, Roger has moved on and that would be out of place on this album. All that aside, again with the less is more approach, the dynamics go from barely audible to loud stadium rock. And the instruments all interweave to form a complete body, although Beck’s guitar playing proves to be a huge highlight. Like Gilmour, Jeff plays for the song, and for this style of music you couldn’t use a better approach.

The vocals are great too. Roger seems comfortable with acknowledging the fact that his voice isn’t what it used to be, and therefore utilizes other sources – in this case strong female vocalists. They are all over the place, trading off with Waters, harmonizing, and singing with him in unison - though you hardly notice after awhile because it’s all so perfectly placed. On this album like all his other work, Roger shows why it’s better to sing with emotion than be the most technically gifted virtuoso around and have no feeling. Another vocal high point is when Don Henley magically sings with Waters on “Watching TV”, with his “that’s the Eagles!” harmonies. (Speaking of this song, the “punchline” of this song really makes you think.)

Every song on this album is essential to the whole CD, and I’d describe every piece as a highlight. However, if I had to pick the best songs, I’d include “Perfect Sense”, “What God Wants”, “The Braver of Being Out of Range”, “It’s a Miracle”, and the title track. “Amused to Death” itself would make the album worth it even if everything else happened to be filler. It has such a moving, dark, and mysterious vibe that you can’t help but find yourself caught up in the song.

Personally, I feel this album could quite possibly be the best album ever made. It is so deep, profound, and beautiful that it can’t help but make you think. On the other hand, I can see how people who don’t like music as art could get easily bored with this work. If someone wants a quick beat to dance to or a catchy chorus that Casey Casum will talk about on his Top 40 show, this album will leave you feeling let down. However, if you like to contemplate the greater meaning of things, mankind’s shortcomings, religion, war, and the more philosophical things in life, then you need to listen to this album now. Amused to Death definitely deserves it’s place in “classic album” status with great works like Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall.

- Matt, Odin’s Court

Great album!!, I love it, I also believe that Roger Waters is the best lyric writer in Rock and Roll, he just can say things in such a simple manner that is just almost impossible to think of better ways to put the smae idea in other words.

"Memory is a stranger, history is for fools"

Okay, I just got this cd today and spun it for the first time. Here are my initial thoughts:

It is refreshing to hear music like this. Thoughtful, melodic, emotional, all of which add to the apparent deapth of this work. It is quite evident that this cd is going to go through many spins and I am certain that each listen will yield more insight and more enjoyment. It was fantastic on its first listen, but already knowing that this is a cd that will have a lasting impression is very exciting. I got the same feeling when I had my first listen of Terria today. I know the best is yet to come. I am just very happy that there is music like this that exists and I am greatful that my ears have had the opportunity to listen to it. When the feelings of a record overtake your ability to describe such a record, you know you found a keeper and this is such a record.

OdinsCourt said:
That is soooooo cool that you liked it so much on your first listen. I know it takes more effort for most people.

Did you see my review of Terria? What did you think of that album? Another work of pure genius!!!

I'll tell you what, Terria is fucking amazing. Devin's vocal abilities are mind-boggling. On my first spin, the first two tracks caught me a little off-guard because it is like nothing I have heard. Once I got past that initial shock factor I was actually laughing at moments throughout the cd because I was so amazed. This has been getting very heavy rotation for me. Let me ask you about Devin's other solo projects...are they just as brilliant as this? Or for a lack of making comparisons, are they brilliant in their own regards?

Yes, Terria is a masterpiece. One of the best albums ever made (right up there with Waters & Floyd).

Yes, they are all brilliant in their own regard. And I think Ocean Machine is almost as amazing as Terria. Very different, but equally as mind blowing. If you like Terria, I am pretty sure you'll like Ocean Machine. It is heavily layered too, just not as much. And the vocals are amazing. It seems to be more straight forward and less artsy IMO. But it is still very artistic, and has some killer grooves!

I went in this order with Devin, and it worked well for me:
Terria,
Ocean Machine
Accelerated Evolution
Infinity
The Physicist

I used to have this record, but it got lost in my many moves in the past 8 years since my father's death (the story of my family after that would make a concept album in itself)...But I digress!

I remember loving the song "What God Wants". I also remember a track with a "genie" on it and he says "Where the hell's the lamp, sucker?" But I remember not liking much else. That was when I was 17 though...me 12 years later would probably appreciate it much more. I'll pick it up in the future, as well as the Yes album "Talk" :lol:

All hail reviving dead threads!:headbang:

You should do some writing! I think lyrics based off of real life stories or philosophical concepts are much more interesting than constant songs about slaying dragons, killing, satan, leather/steel, etc. - the typical/traditional metal topics. Anyway...

Yes, "What God Wants" is absolutely great. The lyrics are so cynical and inventive. My favorite part was III. Beck is a killer guitarist.

Yeah, "Three Wishes" is a good song. Though my favorite of all is the title track. The lyrics are so imaginative and slick. Waters is definitely my favorite lyricist of all time, and probably my favorite modern day musician.

Kind of off topic, does anyone have his new opera?