Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape

sambojoho

May 25, 2008
Sigh's masterpiece "Imaginary Sonicscape" was just re-released via The End Records. It is remastered and has two previously unreleased tracks and an extended version of "Bring Back the Dead."

The extra tracks are available individually on Amazon if you already have the earlier version of the disc. I think that's what I will do for now, since I just bought the original version a few months ago.

For anyone who does not have this record yet, I highly recommend it if you are into very creative black metal. I guess the right term for the style is probably "psychedelic black metal."

I listened to the remaster, and to be honest, I'm rather disappointed. The bonus tracks are a nice extra, along with the longer version of my favorite Sigh track, but the problem I have with this is the actual sound of the album. It seems like "remaster" means "make it sound louder, more claustrophobic, and have many sections of audio clipping" to whoever did it. More of a wall of sound type deal in parts, which I'm not fond of (seems to be a trend lately). However, because of how much the album simply annihilates, I'd still recommend it to anyone into something different.

Yeah, Imaginary Sonicscape is a great and weird and pretty eclectic album. It sounds like those japanese guys know all about european music but don't know or don't give a shit about what belongs together.

If this remaster is as bad as the Gallows Gallery remaster (an album that didn't need remastering whatsofucking ever - it sounded amazing until they remastered it... all that monster bass gone in the name of loudness - a static mess in its place), then avoid it at all costs. It's marketing bullshit. Find and buy the original.

I listened to the remaster, and to be honest, I'm rather disappointed. The bonus tracks are a nice extra, along with the longer version of my favorite Sigh track, but the problem I have with this is the actual sound of the album. It seems like "remaster" means "make it sound louder, more claustrophobic, and have many sections of audio clipping" to whoever did it. More of a wall of sound type deal in parts, which I'm not fond of (seems to be a trend lately). However, because of how much the album simply annihilates, I'd still recommend it to anyone into something different.

um, because that's all remastering does mean in today's world of audio. overcompression + overall boost = remastering during the era of the loudness wars.

I heard this album through the other day and it sounded pretty interesting. Was the original master.

Is this the album to start with the band or are the other one's at the same level?

I would recommend starting with this one or "Scenario IV: Dread Dreams". These are incredible psychedelic black metal albums. Dread Dreams is the darker of the two, with Black Curse and Divine Graveyard as highlights.

Hangmans Hymn is also a fantastic album. It is a little more straight forward black metal than the others, and they combine symphonies and evil laughs throughout the album.

I'm not really a fan of Gallow's Gallery. I just don't think it lives up to Sigh's normally high standard.

I heard this album through the other day and it sounded pretty interesting. Was the original master.

Is this the album to start with the band or are the other one's at the same level?

this album is one of their best, if you want something darker try the albums SCORN DEFEAT, INFIDEL ART, and HAIL HORROR HAIL. Alll SIGH albums are quality so you have nothing to lose by picking one of these masrepieces up. Also their new album comes out this year.