Similiar chinas to Zildjian Z3 20"?

DullElysium

Oct 15, 2010
Finland
Hi. I've been searching for a perfect china for my taste (well me and our drummer) and I noticed how much I love the china sound on the newest Confession album Life and Death. So our drummer contacted Jake Dargavile about what cymbal was used there and he said it was a Zildjian Z3.

But here's where it gets tricky.. I can't find those cymbals anywhere. So I was wondering if you guys know a china cymbal with similar characteristics?

For sound reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=U6H_t27a7JU#t=134

Thanks!

Meinl Extreme Metal China. I don't even know if it sound close but that's my vote for whenever a drummer wants a new china

Meinl Extreme Metal China. I don't even know if it sound close but that's my vote for whenever a drummer wants a new china

That does sound quite nice, however it's not exactly what we're looking for. The hollow sound on the Zildjian Z3 china is something I personally am really fond of. Kind of hollow and silky.

But thanks for the suggestion!

I have a Z3 18" and it doesn't really sound like this in the recording. Always been a fan of Zildjian Oriental. China Trash and Paragons have been my favorites so far- lots of "PSH" sounding attack

You don't happen to have a recording of your Z3? Or better yet z3 and oriental both? That'd be super! There's not much samples o the Z3. I guess it's not that popular cymbal.

You'll have to go used, the Z series has been discontinued for a while. Unless you can find a store that still has some in stock, you're never going to find one new again.