Singer forgetting how to scream!?

Parka Dez

Jun 30, 2009
So I have been recording my band's debut album and it is nearing completion, on schedule. The other day, we tried to start doing screaming vocals. The vocalist did his warm up and went to scream and just couldn't do it. Obviously not really understand what was going on, got frustrated.

I said leave it for an hour or two, sing along to some tracks and then go into. Again same thing. Just couldn't scream.

Day two, we come in, much of the same. About half way through, he gets his tone back but can't control it and is getting headaches, and head pressure.

This has never happened before to him and we don't really know how to treat the situation. Has this happened to anyone else, or has anyone else experienced it?

We are taking each day as it comes, so hopefully tomorrow will be more fruitful! Any tips or anything would be welcome.

nerves for sure, turn the lights down, give him credit, don't be hard in your statements (eg. that's very good but you can do it HUGE), whatever necessary. Blowjob?¿ lol

While it definitely could be that, we did clean vocals without a hitch and have recorded screams without any issues previously. Just wondering if there were any vocal warm ups that are counter productive for screaming technique that he may be doing.

He has improved his singing range by about two or three semi tones, could this effect it? I hope we go into the studio tomorrow ad things just happen!

Cheers for everything said so far.

Similar problem here.
My Vocalist had distress and the voice was completely fucked after a few takes.

After several tests and medic visitates it turned out that he have asthma.

If it doesn't come to a stop send him to a doc.

I personally have a very hard time screaming with headphones on. I have to either sit in front of the speakers, or take half of the cans off my head. I've tried it with latencies as low as possible, comp and ect. on the track while monitoring, nothing works. have him sing in front of the speakers, or take 1 side of the headphones off and give it another shot. bleed isn't that big of an issue with a cardioid, just cut out all of the silence, and the creams should bury the rest. that's what i did here.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4857613/sneap_colab.wav

I personally have a very hard time screaming with headphones on. I have to either sit in front of the speakers, or take half of the cans off my head. I've tried it with latencies as low as possible, comp and ect.

I have noticed that a huge amount of compression is pretty much essential, and a redicilous amount of reverb in the cans helps for most singers and possibly some added mild saturation/distortion for screamers.

When I recorded my old band's ep I recorded the vocals after a little break from doing vocals and i was blacking out and getting headaches and stuff, horrible, and I found the only way I could deal with it was fight through it.

Fighting through blackouts = not healthy, at all.

Like he's said guys, this guy has recorded fine in the past and it's not just recording nervousness or a bad headphone mix or something totally ordinary.

I'd deffo have a doctor check him out if possible, or just keep trying =/. Really want to hear this go well, tho, as I can't wait for this album!

+1 @ doctor.
Make sure hes a special lungdoc.

If it is really something like asthma, it gets worse and worse till maybe to the point where he seriously damage his voice.
Trying it over and over again is so fucking frustrating for everyone.

I pity you, I know how shitty this is.

If we have the chance to go to the doctors we will do so. However this is literally in a space of about 2-4 weeks this has happened. He can still sing completely fine, or is that not related?

Did he record Screams before?

When I started recording screams I had problems after a view takes (mainly headache), but live and during rehearsals I could go on for hours without any aching.
What I've found out is that while recording I tended to "force" my voice to sound in a certain way more than live, where it came out naturaly the way I wanted it.
And forcing youre voice on angry vocals usually only end in weak takes with a lot of headache (throat tightens up, and you can forget doing something usefull for some time).
I think it's because your'e hearing ur stuff in a different way than live, and maybe got used to that one & get confused while recording.

turning down the headphone mix + relaxing were the best ways to eliminate recording problems, for me at least.

If we have the chance to go to the doctors we will do so. However this is literally in a space of about 2-4 weeks this has happened. He can still sing completely fine, or is that not related?

So... when he opens his mouth to scream does it just sound like crap or nothing comes out?

If he can sing but all of a sudden he can't scream, sounds like he needs to take some time off and rest up... maybe even see a doctor... maybe he just can't scream anymore. I hope that isn't the case, though.

Good luck.

While it definitely could be that, we did clean vocals without a hitch and have recorded screams without any issues previously. Just wondering if there were any vocal warm ups that are counter productive for screaming technique that he may be doing.

He has improved his singing range by about two or three semi tones, could this effect it? I hope we go into the studio tomorrow ad things just happen!

Cheers for everything said so far.

If:

• He could scream before,
• It's only been in the last couple of weeks that he's had problems,
• He's doesn't have any symptoms of anything being wrong

Then it's almost certainly psychological and not physical. Get everyone else to leave the studio (if you can help it, don't let the singer know they're leaving because of him - tell them to go have lunch or something), get him relaxed (not with alcohol or drugs, both of which will fuck his throat up - make him laugh, tell him a stupid story about another recording session or something). Put on a CD he likes with some screaming and get him to scream along in the control room - join in if needs be so he doesn't feel under the spotlight.

If it was asthma, it would affect his singing as well - singing moves just as much air as screaming, which is what causes the problems. It has no effect on your voice, it's an issue with the airways behind your vocal chords - so he'd be able to sing/scream fine to start with, but would become breathless etc.

Warm-ups are exactly that - they get the blood flowing to the relevant bits so they're ready to work. It's not like the wrong set of warm ups at the gym mean you can jump but your walking goes to shit.

Same thing with improving your range - that comes as a result of better technique and stronger vocal chords, neither of which would hinder you screaming.

The only way that his newly improved singing voice would affect his screaming is if his screaming technique was terrible to begin with, and the improved singing has removed bad habits that he used when screaming - in which case it's a good thing in the long run.

Honestly, some of you people talk like screaming is some incredibly precious, difficult, painful talent. It's not.

• You can't magically lose the ability to scream unless there's an underlying medical cause (polyps and oedema are the common ones) - in which case, you speaking voice will be affected if it's a vocal chord problem, or your general health will be affected if it's something else (asthma, lung conditions, muscle strains).

• If it causes you to become light-headed/blackout, it means you're really bad at it - you're forcing airflow and making yourself hypoxic. Essentially, you're vocalising a panic attack.

• If it makes you stomach feel tense/tight afterwards, you're technique is bad and you're forcing it. You should be using your diaphragm, not your abdominals.

• It shouldn't hurt, you shouldn't lose your voice after a couple of takes, and you shouldn't need to get tanked to do it. All of those imply you have to push hard to do it, which all mean your technique is bad. It shouldn't be significantly harder than singing or even speaking.

Steve