Six Feet Under- Commandment

thesilentcitizen

New Metal Member
May 7, 2007
Okay, here I am with my first review of Six Feet Unders newest album "Commandment". This album is basically what Six Feet Under brings to the table every time it comes out with a new album, basic death metal with worn riffs and a pounding brutal beat.
Let me first off say that I think Chris Barnes is an amazing vocalist. He has put out good quality death metal vocals like his work with Cannibal Corpse. Although Allen West has long since left the band they still managed to put out some quality albums in the past "Maximum Violence" and "Haunted" being the most memorable for me. Since then SFU has taken a little bit of a turn, churning out decent, but not astounding death metal especially with album "13", a rather uninspired attempt of a album. Now its Commandment's turn to go under the knife.
This is SFU's seventh full length album and I have to say I'm liking it a lot more than there last release 13. Commandment seems to be a faster paced, more in-your-face release than SFU's last couple releases and it seems to be working a lot better. The constant tempo changes in songs such as "Zombie Executioner" really make it a more interesting song and save it from being just another death metal song. However many of the songs here sound a lot alike and the album mixes into eachother every once in a while rather than being able to tell every song apart. The downtuned guitars are the same since they have been in "Maximum Violence" and although nothing new have some very cool riffage to them. Not much for guitar solos though.
SFU's lyrics pretty much stay the same. Chris has been writing a little tamer than his Cannibal Corpse works but its pretty much the same topics and such, you know the usual, gore, mutilation, and torture. Chris' voice is not the same as it was when he started in the business but it is still one of the best in the business. So overall SFU's new release isnt really an outbreak from what they've always done, however, it is definetly an improvement from "13" and deserves a look by any death metal fan.
7 out of 10

honestly, i found comandment to be a step or two under 13. although songs like ghosts of the undead, edge of the hatchet, and zombie executioner had me hooked on this album in an instant, i have to say they really don't stand up to songs like shadow of the reaper, Deathklaat, and decompisition of the human race. i agree with your rating and find a 7 out of 10 to be a very fair rating for this album. another point i want to bring foward, is that i like the guitar sound better, but the vocals seem differant somehow.

i have to get this album soooooon...i think 13 is some of their best work...ive only seen the new "ghost..." video

I will eventually get Commandment, I have 13 and Maximum Violence though. Maximum Violence definitely topped 13 despite having a couple filler songs on it. 13 started out good but faded late, even the beginning and middle parts(the strongest parts of the CD) had a couple filler-type songs.

Fucking terrible band; I don't get how people such as the poster above me can stand this when they listen to top notch stuff like Suffocation.

Fucking terrible band; I don't get how people such as the poster above me can stand this when they listen to top notch stuff like Suffocation.

my sentiments exactly... chris barnes' has totally blown his voice... this band is so utterly boring