1 War – Six Reasons To Kill
2. Drown in Frustration – Six Reasons To Kill
3 In The Name Of God – Six Reasons To Kill
4 Gates To Eternity – Six Reasons To Kill
5 Conspiracy Theory - Absidia

6 No Longer Willing to Wither - Absidia
7 Written in Minor Key - Absidia
8 Reversal of A Broken Hearted - Absidia

I went into this review thinking how I was going to hate this split release. From the looks of it, and the band names, I was fully expecting a boring hardcore/metalcore release. Hot damn, I was totally proven wrong. The first band, SIX REASONS TO KILL, contribute the first four tracks on this split cd. Musically, they are really a cross between the groove orientated death metal of bands like OBITUARY, the brutal hardcore of a band like HATEBREED, and the thrash elements of a band like MACHINE HEAD. They combine all these styles, and yet they still remain fresh. I really like the juxtaposition of both the guttural death growls, and some of the higher pitched death rasps. The vocal combination really fits the band well. There were parts where the vocals took a wrong turn down hardcore lane, but they quickly found their way back to the beaten path. I definitely look forward to more from these guys.

ABSIDIA start their portion off with an absolutely strange, and unnerving piano piece. I especially like some of the guitar melodies they use in their songs. On the first real track they play, “No Longer Willing To Wither”, they perform some amazing melodies, that remind me of a bad horror movie, and I mean that in a good way. They play a blend of grind, swedish brand death metal and thrash stylings, and unable to get away from it, some hardcore punk is thrown in there as well. Think of them as a modern mallcore band with heavier upbringings. These guys really do wail on their instruments. The guitars are chunky, and there is plenty of to give them that extra melodic overtone to an otherwise heavy sound.

Overall, a surprising split cd that I was not expecting at all, and definitely will look for both of these bands with anticipation in the future.

Rating: 6.5 /10

Evil C