Skeletonwitch - Beyond The Permafrost

waif

Sep 7, 2007
Montreal
There's some debate over the genre of Skeletonwitch. Some people call it blackened thrash metal, but I really don't hear the black metal aspect; I'd say there's more melodic death on here than black metal. But it doesn't really matter, because this stuff fucking rocks.

The name of the album is somewhat bizarre, but this is essentially thrash metal with influences from all over the extreme metal spectrum. Vocals are delivered in a competent mix of growls and rasps. Vocalist Chance Garnette knows when to use each style, and the vocal lines are quite well suited to the music.

The guitars on this album are obviously the main attraction. Riffs crunch and thrash, but really there's a shocking degree of melody on here. The solos are odd for thrash solos in that they're actually really good. They fit into the songs and are quite melodic, although they range from fast shredding to slower solos.

The drumming on the album is very good. Many thrash drummers just alternate between snare and kick, but drummer Eric Harris doesn't fall into that trap, with the end result that you're not constantly being annoyed with the monotony of the drumming.

The lyrical focus on here is generally satan, violence, and satanic violence. Skeletonwitch also seem to be big fans of fire. The lyrics are not particularly serious, but they seem to breed awesome song titles, such as "Sacrifice To The Slaughtergod" and "Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery"

The album is very consistent; it starts strong but does not weaken in the latter half as so many potentially great albums do. The album also does not get old, but rather, with repeated listens becomes comfortable and fitting, like an old glove. Sure, there are some gloves that might be snazzier; snugger or more comfortable, made of higher-quality material or with better craftsmenship, but many of those gloves fall apart after a few uses. Beyond The Permafrost isn't the best glove in the drawer, but it's not a fucking mitten.

Standout tracks: Beyond The Permafrost, Baptized In Flames, Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery

I picked this cd up based on your review here. I listened to it once. Pretty good. I'll check it out again today.

That actually means a lot to me. My opinion made a difference. Sweet.

See them live if you have the chance, as they are quite beastly. They're opening on the Blackest of the Black Tour with Danzig and Dimmu Borgir (two bands I never expected to mention in the same sentence, wtf?) and so if you have any interest in that it's another reason to go. Otherwise they seem to tour constantly, so you'll surely get a chance.