Skully pride

hmstrhuey

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
What you are about to read is Radio show hype.
For the next cuople of weeks on my radio show I'm spotlighting 80's Hardcore/Thrash. A few months ago I spent 4 weeks doing album spotlights on thrash metal, and this is really part 2 of a general look at 80's thrash.
This week of me I'm featureing the album "Screams from the gutter", by Raw Power. I'm
talking about powerful italian hardcore.This got re-released last year by Ugly pop, and Heartattack had this to say,"I bought
the original back in 1985and I must have spent hours and hours listening to this while skating our local half pipe and pool.
Musically it is still just as fast and manic as ever. Fast,brutal, furious and catchy as hell"
See why Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, and Sepultura all dug hardcore.
My show comes on at 11:00 on tuseday nights and the album spotlight gets on the go around midnight.
In other hype news. I'm involved with a comic show on chmr on fridays at 4:00. We have reviews, industry news, shit talk and
contests. This week coming or next we will be giving away Dark Knight 2 #1 by Frank Miller.

80's thrash? Ok, well you can add these too your Radio show. If it's not thrash Metal then it should not be labled in anyway a thrash show! Thrash is about Metal music more linked in the late 80's were it was most dominant. If it's Not Thrash metal and it's hardcore it should not be anyway labeled as anything to do with Metal. Hardcore is not Metal plus I don't think hardcore as anything to do with Metal! Metal was before hardcore just as punk was before metal.

As for the term Skully? That is not Metal at all. It's pretty much a insult to most metalheads who know better!

Abattoir
Abhorrent
Acid Reign
Agent Steel
Anacrusis
Annihilator
Anthrax
Arch Enemy
Artillery
Assassin
Atrophy
At War
Aura Noir
Bitter End
Blessed Death
Blind Illusion
Blood Feast
Channel Zero
Coroner
The Crown
The Crucified
Cyclone Temple
Dark Angel
Dearly Beheaded
Death Angel
Deathrow
Deathwish
Defiance
Deliverance
Destruction
Destructor
Detente
Drifter
Dymaxion
Dyoxen
Epidemic
Ethereal Scourge
Exciter
Exhorder
Exodus
Exumer
Flotsam & Jetsam
Forbidden
Forced Entry
Grinder
Grip Inc.
Hades
Hallows Eve
Have Mercy
Heathen
Hexenhaus
Hirax
Holy Moses
Imagika
Incantation
Indestroy
Infernal Majesty
Iron Angel
Kreator
Kublai Khan
Laaz Rockit
Living Death
Living Sacrifice
Machine Head
Manifest Destiny
Megadeth
Metallica
M.O.D.
Mordred
Mortal Sin
Nasty Savage
Necronomicon
Nuclear Assault
Obliveon
Onslaught
Overkill
Paradox
Piece Dogs
Primal Scream
Razor
Realm
Redrum
Rigor Mortis
Sabbat
Sacrifice
Sadus
Sepultura
Skinlab
Slaughter
Slaughter House
Slayer
Sodom
Solitude
Suicidal Tendencies
Tankard
Tension
Testament
Torque
Tourniquet
Uncle Slam
Vengeance Rising
Vendetta
Viking
Vio-lence
Wargasm
Whiplash
Witchery
Xentrix
Znowhite
Zoetrope

Hardcore is NOT metal. Yes there are crossover hardcore/thrash bands, that's why some hardcore people dig some Slayer. but this is a HEAVY METAL board, so as long as you're cool with that then cheers.

It's funny. This same sort of argument came up on the hardcore board last week when somebody posted about Sepultura. Here's what I had to say to the hardcore dude.

This same argument happens on metal boards all the time too, just from the other side.It's not relly something that can be settled
one way or another, because it's all a matter of taste, so it will keep on coming up.
I like punk. I like metal. I also like it when they team up. They've been teaming up for a long time now. The first Motorhead record
sounds as much like a punk record as it does metal. I once read an interview with Cronos (the singer from venom) where he said he
became bored with the metal scene in the late 70's (too much wankery), so he shaved his head and started going to punk shows.
Later when he started a metal band (venom) he tried to go over the top with all the cliches and give metal the kind of urgency he
found in punk. Thrash metal was basicly metal played by people who listened to punk/hardcore. A few years later those same bands
ended up influenceing some of the hardcore croud. bands like DRI, COC, Discharge, Amebix or Schiziod all incorperated metal riffs
and whatnot into punk/hardcore songs.
As far back as the early 80's SST released records by Saint Vitus(sabbath worshippers years befor sheavy), who were friends with,
and played shows with Minor Threat.
A later mix of metal and hardcore gave us Grindcore. Bands like Napalm Death, Carcass, Anal Cunt, and Assuck, all came from
Hardcore scenes, though some would become assossiated more with metal as they "got big".
Anyway the whole point is you should listen to more Septic Death, and Negative Approach.
Like MANOWAR sang "If your not into metal, you are not my friend".
ps-I think Earth Crisis and thier ilk suck too.
SKULLY F.UCKING PRIDE

And now to adress some points more specific to this board
1. The term thrash, while certainly associated with metal, has also been used by punks to decribe a cetain kind of crusty metalic hardcore (DRI, COC, Cryptic Slaughter, Gism), since the early 80's. I know around here in the 80's some people used to use it as slang for slam danceing, or moshing. It's also skater slang(Thrasher magazine).
2.The term skully is an insult.
I am aware of this. I'm from holyrood. I first started to go to shows in 93. Before that I had no idea there were punk or metal bands in St.John's. As time went on I heard the word skully over and over, always in a negative context, but I didn't know what it ment. When I asked around different people gave me different definitions. Some people said It ment someone from the bay, other people said it was metalheads. this offended me. I was from the bay, and I was also a metalhead.
over the years me and my friends started to use skully to describe our selves certain friends. You see, even if it's suposed to be an insult, it's a cool word. Just say it out loud. Skully. It sounds f.ucking cool. When I say skully it's not an insult. To me skully means metal, it means a cool person. Skullys are kind of cheezy. They dont just listen to metal, they believe in metal. F.uck yeah.
Don't let the stupid people keep such a cool word. 3.I never said hardcore was metal.
4.As far as posting non-metal topics on a metal board goes, here's my opinion.
This board is on the newfoundland metal legion page. Metalheads come here to talk to other metalheads. As far as I'm concerned anything that might be of interest to Metalheads should be fair game. That could include posting about cool books, movies, or in my case my radio show. I wouldn't have posted it if I really thought no one would give a f.uck. I don't think it's going to hurt the board if people talk about pink floyd, or black flag, or radiohead, etc. sometimes. Its still metalheads doing the talking(or posting).

Anyway I'll shut the f.uck up now.
We're all on the same side.

Skully. I never thought it was a negative word to me. I always looked at the word with a sense of pride. I usually say things before we jam or play a show like "Let's skull it out" or "This is a skull riff guys, check it out." I suppose people make fun of baymen and call them skully, but I don't think I ever said that word in that way. If someone calls me a skully, I either laugh or say thank you. I know I like heavy music and I take with that a sense of positiveness and self worth, even if someone means to insult me. I won't refer to other metal fans as skullies if it does offend them though. That's just what we call ourselves.

If someone's going to insult me for who I am and what I like, then he/she is just wasting their time and breath. I'm pretty lighthearted and insults like that I won't really pay any attention to. It means something positive to me, knowing that someone's insult actually reaffirms what I believe I am. In high school we were branded "Skully" because we wore Metallica or Sepultura shirts and played metal music and listened to metal. It came down to people trying to insult you but why the hell does it matter? Those people had nothing better to do with their day than try and label someone in a group in order to exclude them. I guess we wanted that group. It was great to be the outcasts. People were proud to be the outcasts. I guess that's where our frame of thinking comes from.

This topic is weird because I've actually just ordered a new guitar, and from my perspective it looks fucking sick. I love the look. Old school Kramer with a black paintjob and a cracked white finish. Some people are going to probably make fun of it but I'm damn proud of how metal it looks to me.