Grindcore!!!!!!!!

hmstrhuey

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
This is just a quick radio hype post.
This week on my radio show (The Gooey Kablooie), in the album spotlight, I'll be playing Napalm Death's first album "SCUM". This album is pure Grind, and doesn't have the Death Metal elements, they later got into. These guys influenced so much of the more extream Metal, and Hardcore thats around these days. Tune in Tuesday night from 11:00-2:00, on chmr 93.5 FM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted the other message from Holyrood last night, and didn't have that much time, so here is a bit of information on the Band/Album.

Napalm Death started in the early 80's as an anarco-punk band. They were really influenced by Crass,and in fact the first recording by Napalm death appeared on Crass records "Bullshit Detector Vol.3" comp.
In 85 Justin Broadrick joined on guitar, and this is when they started in a more metal direction. They recorded a demo called "Hatred Surge", and soon after got Mick Harris on drums. Nick Bullen was on vocals, and Bass.it was this line up that recorded the "Scum" demo, which went on to become side one one the "Scum" album.
Nick, and Justin left, and were replaced by Bill Steer on guitar, Jim Whitely on bass, and Lee Dorrian on vocals. The band Hooked up with a Small British metal label called Earache, and recorded what would be side two of "Scum". "Scum" was released in 87.
Napalm Death is still around, but none of the guys who played on "Scum" are whith them anymore. In fact none of the guys on "Scum" were in the band when it first started either(though Nick Bullen was on the Crass comp).
Justin Broadrick went on to start Godflesh. Lee Dorrian sings in Cathedral, and also runs Rise Above records (Sheavys label). Mick Harris started Scorn with Nick Bullen in the early 90's (Justin Broadrick played guitar on thier first album), and also Plays in Painkiller with John Zorn, and Bill Laswell(free jazz grind?)
Later Napalm Death has much more of a death metal sound, and I'm not as into it, but "Scum" is pure Grind.
Do your self a favour, and check it out.

i sampled a napalm album down @ urban ...i forget the title now but it was release in 1987-91 and was defenately a good peice of grinding crust. i would of liked to of picked it up.