Skyclad - new album

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
Straight from their MySpace site

SKYCLAD Signs With SCARLET RECORDS - Jan.
21, 2009

SKYCLAD, the seminal British band, which is often referred to as "the originator of folk metal", has signed a deal with Scarlet Records. The group's twelfth album, "In The… All Together", is due in the spring. The CD, which was recorded and mixed by Dario Mollo (THE CAGE, VOODOO HILL) at Damage Inc Studio, in Ventimiglia, Italy during August 2008, "mixes the usual thrash/speed metal influences with the extraordinary folk melodies that made the band famous all around the world, maintaining a fresh and dynamic approach which gives a strong live dimension to the new songs," according to a press release.

Formed in 1990 by Martin Walkyer (SABBAT) and Steve Ramsey (SATAN, PARIAH), SKYCLAD gained extraordinary attention from both the press and the public with the now-legendary debut album "The Wayward Sons Of Mother Earth" (1991) and, since then, has built up a solid reputation which led them to take part in some of the most important international metal events (such as the renowned Dynamo, Wacken, Gods of Metal and Tuska festivals) and share the stage with some of the most respected artists of their time.

SKYCLAD's most recent full-length album, "A Semblance Of Normality", was released in 2004 through Demolition/Dreamcatcher Records. The band in 2006 issued an EP, entitled "Jig-a-Jig". The disc featured a new recording of the instrumental track "Jig-a-Jig", along with the songs "The Roman Wall Blues", "They Think It's All Over - Well Is It Now?" and "Mr Malaprope" from the "A Semblance Of Normality" sessions.

Great news for me, they're one of my favorite bands :Smokin:

After Martin left I thought: "OK, they´re done. It couldn´t exist Skyclad without Walkyrier".

However, I saw them in Madrid last May (only 50 people!!!!!) and it was amazing. Then, I gave a couple more chances to "A semblance of normality" and obviously it´s not the best Skyclad album but it´s quite good.

Let´s see but anyway good news.

"A semblance of normality" and obviously it´s not the best Skyclad album but it´s quite good.

I had my doubts too more on the lyrical side, since Martir was the writer, I wasn't afraid of the music since most is composed by English/Ramsey, but I must say I like Kevin's vocals a lot and I enjoy ASON pretty much.

I've seen this band live with Kevin. To be quite honest I way prefer the vocals on their old albums with martin to what I heard live. I got annoyed with them his voice sounded grating to me.

I've seen this band live with Kevin. To be quite honest I way prefer the vocals on their old albums with martin to what I heard live. I got annoyed with them his voice sounded grating to me.

Yeah I know many like Martin's early vocals, to me those are annoying, too harsh for my taste, specially in the debut. I enjoy the band more beginning with "Irrational Anthems", even so I have all their albums except the EP "Jig-A-Jig". So I'm flexible either with Martin or Kevin, and of course Steve, Graeme and Georgina in the core of the line-up it's the best value for me.