Skyclad recommendations?

euleria

the last in line
Aug 22, 2009
Western New York
Back in the day I was a big fan of Satan (uh...the band, not the guy with horns and a tail)... their album "Court in the Act" was fantastic. I kept up with their releases through their days as Pariah, then lost track.

Steve Ramsey and Graeme English moved on to the folk-metal band Skyclad.
I've been checking out some of the Skyclad tracks/videos on youtube, and I'm intrigued. Where should I start? What albums would you all recommend?

Ok, given my username and avatar, I guess I ought to respond.

The tough thing about recommending Skyclad albums is that they don't really have a "bad period" that you can eliminate. Certainly some albums are better than others, but they don't follow any pattern. Instead, since the band is quite evolutionary, style is a greater differentiator between albums than quality.

So, were there any particular songs that you liked more than others?

Anyhow, here's a bit I wrote a while ago breaking the albums down:

==========================================

[THE FOUR SKYCLAD DISCS I LOVE]
1. Jonah's Ark (1993) - The perfect mix of heaviness, melody, folk elements, groove, and lyrics. I always find it amazing how this album appeared early in their career between two much thrashier albums.

2. Irrational Anthems (1996) - An incredibly well put-together album, and I really like the lyrics too, with Martin really starting to turn personal. Their most "commercial" album.

3. The Silent Whales of Lunar Sea (1995) - This was my first Skyclad, so maybe that adds bias, but this is just a great bunch of songs. Heavy and rocking, but with a good variety.

4. Prince of the Poverty Line (1994) - A much more uniform and unified album than the ones before and after, just lots of heavy folky thrash metal, with the lyrics tying it together even more tightly.

[THE FOUR SKYCLAD DISCS THAT I REALLY LIKE]
5. The Answer Machine (1997) - The most mellow "real" album from Skyclad. At first I didn't like it much at all, but it's really grown on me the past couple of years. It has a pretty depressive atmosphere about it that I really like.

6. The Wayward Sons of Mother Earth (1991) - Their least melodic and most "standard" album, but the songwriting is still excellent

7. Oui Avant Garde a Chance (1996) - I don't really count this as a real album, more like their first "unplugged" disc. In general it's very upbeat and the total opposite in mood of "The Answer Machine?" Excellent when driving on a sunny spring day.

8. Folkemon (2000) - big surprise comeback after the subpar "Vintage Whine" - not a classic but the songs just have a lot more life to them again, and while it's "heavy", it doesn't sound as forced to me.

[THE REST OF THE SKYCLAD DISCS]
9. Vintage Whine (1999) - Skyclad's return to a heavier sound, but it seems like in the process of getting heavy, they forgot about writing good, memorable songs.

10. A Burnt Offering for the Bone Idol (1992) - This album is ok, but kinda "blah"; to me, stuck in the middle between the intensity of the debut and the melodic folk infusion of 'Jonah's Ark'. None of the songs really do anything to stand out to me.

==========================================

Since I wrote that, they've released two albums in the Kevin Ridley-era, where their longtime producer replaced the seemingly irreplaceable Martin Walkyier on vocals and lyrics. Thus, it was kind of shocking to me that the first album of this era, 'A Semblance of Normality' (2004) is probably good enough to make it in the "DISCS I LOVE" category. "In the... All Together" (2009) is still a bit new to pass judgment on, but it doesn't make the top group.

In short, as a generic recommendation, 'Irrational Anthems' is probably the most obvious starter album. You'd think your Satan/Pariah input would help, but unfortunately it doesn't give too much direction, since, although there are hints of similarity, there isn't a very obvious connection between the two bands.

I'm still waiting for Glenn to pull off the the Skyclad reunion at ProgPower to get me to return to Atlanta. You know, cuz he'd get at least 17 people to show up for that. :loco:

Neil

ALL OF THEM! Irrational Anthems is my favorite, closely followed by The Answer Machine. MUST see Skyclad before I die.

Here is my reply from the same discussion thread to which Neil referred:

I have a love-hate relationship with Skyclad. I love some of their releases, and hate others. I suppose having (Martin's former band) Sabbat - Dreamweaver as my favorite CD of all time does tend to affect my perspective on Skyclad, but my preferences cannot be explained simply by heavier = good and mellower = bad, as you'll see from my rankings. I will be very curious to see if any of you agree with me in general on these discs. Somehow I doubt it. Oh well, here goes...

[THE THREE SKYCLAD DISCS I LOVE]
1 A Burnt Offering for the Bone Idol (1992) - killer blend of thrash and folk, very catchy and aggressive
2 The Wayward Sons of Mother Earth (1991) - very little folk, but great pagan thrash - good lyrics
3 Vintage Whine (1999) - huge surprise comeback after so many subpar and mellow releases - extremely catchy and very folky power metal

[THE ONE SKYCLAD DISC THAT I LIKE]
4 Prince of the Poverty Line (1994) - many songs are quite good, and several are quite average - use of keyboards actually works for the most part - heavier and not as folky

[THE TWO SKYCLAD DISCS THAT I THINK ARE OK]
5 The Answer Machine (1997) - their best folk rock CD - some good tunes and nice acoustic guitar
6 Oui Avant-Garde a Chance (1996) - uneven and mellow, but several enjoyable songs

[THE REST OF THE SKYCLAD DISCS]
7 Jonah's Ark (1993) - huge disappointment after Burnt Offering, not wimpy, but not interesting
8 Folkemon (2000) - huge disappointment after Vintage Whine - sounds like tracks that did not make the cut for Vintage Whine - heavy, but boring as hell
9 Irrational Anthems (1996) - extremely uneventful music, cheesy lyrics (Martin's worst writing by far)
10 The Silent Whales of Lunar Sea (1995) - not a single good song

Did not include these because they are not full length studio releases of new material. Have not heard the two new ones actually, and that's fine with me.

Tracks From the Wilderness EP (1992)
Thinking Allowed EP (1993)
Old Rope (1996)
Another Fine Mess (2001) (live)
No Daylights Nor Heeltaps (2002) (new versions of old songs)

There's always the Old Rope compilation. That's a fairly cheap introduction.

Yeah, but YouTube is an even cheaper introduction, and the OP has already done that. Buying a compilation album in 2010 is like buying a typewriter in 2000; they just don't make any sense anymore.

Here is my reply from the same discussion thread to which Neil referred:

Oh, sure, just go and confuse the issue by giving the complete opposite recommendations! Well, luckily it should be obvious that the person with the Skyclad image in his avatar has the more trustworthy opinion. :D

As for 'Wayward Sons' well it was more a Sabbat album than Skyclad.

How so? Sure, it's closer to Sabbat than any other Skyclad album, but it's not a sore thumb in the Skyclad discography. If you worked backwards through Skyclad, I don't think you'd be shocked when you got to 'Wayward Sons'. Sabbat is still a pretty different style (faster, less melodic), which is not surprising given completely different writers.

Neil

How so? Sure, it's closer to Sabbat than any other Skyclad album, but it's not a sore thumb in the Skyclad discography. If you worked backwards through Skyclad, I don't think you'd be shocked when you got to 'Wayward Sons'. Sabbat is still a pretty different style (faster, less melodic), which is not surprising given completely different writers.

Neil

Don't get me wrong I love 'Wayward Sons' and a Sabbat album hangs on the wall in my livingroom. But Skyclad were not a defined band at that point. 'wayward Sons' sounded more like it should have been the third Sabbat album oppose to the actually third album.