Skyforger - Kauja Pie Saules / The Battle of Saule

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
Skyforger - Kauja Pie Saules / The Battle of Saule
Paragon Records - prg-26021 - October 6th, 1998 / July 17th, 2006
By Brandon Strader

Skyforger-KaujaPieSaules.jpg

English translations of titles are included for those who can't read Latvian. What do they teach in school these days? Sheesh.

This classic 1998 pagan / Latvian folk metal epic has been reissued in 2006 and once again released upon the unsuspecting metal community. The question is, however: Is it going to eat more souls this time around than it did before? The answer is probably a yes, but only because a few more people might hear of the band now... Yes, probably just a few. If you know what the words "pagan", "metal", or "folk" mean - and what Latvia is (optional) - then you have probably already heard, or even own, this album. I'm a bit skeptical about the UM community though. There are a lot of kvlt folks around, yet there is also the outstanding population of metalcore and hardcore dudes surfing around lately. Well, check out Kauja Pie Saules / The Battle of Saule. It's got pie in the title, that's all you really need to know.

The first upgrade you'll probably notice about this reissue is the artwork. It looks a lot better with more color and detail. Secondly, after you actually pop the disc in, you'll notice it is remastered as well! The sound is simply amazing, from the Latvian folk ballad that opens up the album ("Zviegtin' Zviedza Kara Zirgi / Neighed The Battlehorses") to the oh-so-harsh guitar tone that ties all of the following metallic compositions together. The title track, "Kauja Pie Saules / The Battle of Saule" builds up tensely until the vocalist lets out an extended note in clean vocals. This may take some by surprise, those who expected an extended scream, of course. No worries, the screams pick up soon after. Oh, the magnificent screams! You haven't lived until you've heard the Latvian language raped in such a manner, it's downright awesome. The mix and master is very great, and the music holds a ton of punch now. It still maintains that kvlt sound of course, but the production seems a lot more organized, and you can hear all the subtle details of the music - like the strum of an acoustic guitar beneath all the pummeling and distorted guitar tones!

I reiterate, if you are a fan of metal at all, you probably already have this. If not, you should get it as soon as possible. One of the coolest aspects of the music is the samples they have of actual battles that they put into the music, so instead of having a big solo section like most bands might, these guys pop in an actual battle recording. Check out Kauja Pie Saules / The Battle of Saule and enjoy the classic pagan black metal ingenuity.

9/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Official Skyforger Website
Official Paragon Records Website

Loved this album and am very glad Paragon has re-released it. I wasn't sure when I heard that pagan drinking song, but after the album was done, all the pieces fit together perfectly. VERY heavy release, with an awesome bass sound.

Great stuff!:kickass:

Been listening for awhile now to this and am certainly impressed. True Pagan/Viking metal. The singers croaking vocals in a way remind me of Grutlle of Enslaved. Love the guitar tone.