SLASH Was One Of LEMMY's Most Frequent Visitors During MOTÖRHEAD Frontman's Recovery

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
MOTÖRHEAD frontman Lemmy Kilmister has revealed to RollingStone.com that one of his most frequent visitors during his recent recovery from a number of health issues — which included heart trouble, diabetes and surgery — was former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Slash. "He was at my house more than he's ever been before, encouraging me. He's a really fucking good guy," Lemmy said of the top-hatted axeman.The iconic 68-year-old rocker also told RollingStone.com that he can foresee the day when MOTÖRHEAD will spend less time touring and focus more on studio work. Still, he says that he will stay on the road "as long as I can," explaining, "You kind of owe it to the people that put you up here. You should deliver. But if I can't deliver, I'm never going to be a figurehead up there and just play for money. I could never do that. I've seen people do it, and it's just frightful."I'm old, you know," he admitted. "In two years I'm 70, which is ridiculous. How did that happen to me?"Since being diagnosed with diabetes in 2000, Lemmy's had to have a defibrillator installed in his heart, and more recently suffered from an "unspecified hematoma," which led to the cancelation of several European shows last summer. Factor in a daily intake of smokes, speed and Jack and Coke for the last 40-plus years, and it's a wonder he's alive at all. After decades of invincibility, the cracks are finally showing. Lemmy has had to make some difficult adjustments. "I had to give up the Jack and Coke because of the sugar," he told Decibel magazine. "I miss it. I gave up smoking, too. I gave up bread. It's been a bit of a job, you know?"Lemmy, who will turn 69 years old this coming December, told Classic Rock he didn't expect to still be here at 30,"I don't do regrets," he said. "Regrets are pointless. It's too late for regrets. You've already done it, haven't you? You've lived your life. No point wishing you could change it."There are a couple of things I might have done differently, but nothing major; nothing that would have made that much of a difference."I'm pretty happy with the way things have turned out. I like to think I've brought a lot of joy to a lot of people all over the world. I'm true to myself and I'm straight with people."Asked if his illness last year has made him more aware of his own mortality, Lemmy said: "Death is an inevitability, isn't it? You become more aware of that when you get to my age. I don't worry about it. I'm ready for it. When I go, I want to go doing what I do best. If I died tomorrow, I couldn't complain. It's been good."

More...