SLAYER/Marilyn Manson headlines Mayhem Fest

Stingray11214

OSA Triumvir
Oct 21, 2005
Folks;

This year, SLAYER takes up what Ozzy dropped as they will join with Marilyn Manson and Bullet for my Valentine for Mayhemfest 2009. This kicks off on July 10 in Sacramento, California and lasts for 6 weeks. Included are stops in Atlanta, DC, Dallas and Chicago (NO date in Jones Beach or PNC, dammit!). The stage will be set up like this.

Main stage: Slayer, M. Manson, Bullet for my Valentine
Hot Topic Stage: Cannibal Corpse, Job for a Cowboy, Black Dahlia Murder, Behemoth, Whitechapel
Jaegermeister stage: Trivium, All That Remains, God Forbid, Battle/bands winner

The link to the Press release is here: http://mayhemfest.com/2009-press-release.pdf

The site is: http://www.mayhemfest.com

Wow, that is one underwhelming festival.
What is the point in packaging a fest where literally 80% of the bands have already been a part of previous big US fests like Ozzfest, Sounds of the Underground, Gigantour, etc.

This is just as lame as Gigantour.
Mustaine always said that he initially did the tour to showcase bands that Ozzfest wouldn't.
Sure, he did that the first year, but ever since, it has been another revolving cast of Ozzfest / SOTU veterans.

What is the point in packaging a fest where literally 80% of the bands have already been a part of previous big US fests like Ozzfest, Sounds of the Underground, Gigantour, etc.

This is just as lame as Gigantour.
Mustaine always said that he initially did the tour to showcase bands that Ozzfest wouldn't.
Sure, he did that the first year, but ever since, it has been another revolving cast of Ozzfest / SOTU veterans.

Jasonic, you are sooooooo right on that. Black Dahlia Murder has been in every festival short of ProgPower known to man. It is just ridiculous.

Yea, I'm underwhelmed too, but I have to go - made a promise. At least the tickets were paid by someone else. I'll let you know how it was and, hopefully post photos.

(STILL working on Progpower photos:oops: )

OT: BTW, was underwhelmed by Metallica last night too. Not bad, just not great. Started off strong, but they quickly slipped in to a lot of new material and I began to zone out. The light show was minimal and the pyros used only at the end of the show. To be fair, I had to leave before the last couple of songs to catch a train, so hopefully they ended on a bang. Probably that was when they played all my favorite songs. :( Is there a Metallica topic? No one seems to be talking about this tour. Guess I should search.....

I'm pretty psyched about this tour. I LOVE LOVE Bullet For My Valentine, it's never a bad thing to see Slayer, I can grab something to eat and chat with folks during Manson and this is a good way to see Trivium without having to go to one of their headline shows. Can't wait for the Atlanta date!

Just because OZZFEST had these bands doesn't mean you should not go see them. You are supposed to support your bands. If you don't like them...don't go.

I think this is going to be a pretty good festival, and I'm glad there are more like this around for everyone's tastes.

Just because OZZFEST had these bands doesn't mean you should not go see them. You are supposed to support your bands. If you don't like them...don't go.

I won't. Thanks.

Isn't the point of a festival to give exposure to deserving bands, exposing them to a larger audience? In turn, the masses may discover new bands?
Just nothing fresh here from such a large festival.

Isn't the main highlight of a fest like Prog Power discovering new bands?

Of course, every fest needs a handful of bigger known bands to get folks in the door, but the appeal is usually in the undercard.

Isn't the point of a festival to give exposure to deserving bands, exposing them to a larger audience? In turn, the masses may discover new bands?
Just nothing fresh here from such a large festival.

Isn't the main highlight of a fest like Prog Power discovering new bands?

Of course, every fest needs a handful of bigger known bands to get folks in the door, but the appeal is usually in the undercard.

In some cases yes, but these promoters could be taking a different approach of "let's just give a bunch of metal heads a bad ass day of music and party." Or of course they could just be concerned with cash flow. I don't see big productions like this in the same game as Progpower. It's a different function altogether so I can see why they wouldn't necessarily want a bunch of semi to totally unknown bands out there.

Behemoth is going to kick everybody's ass and gain more fans for sure, because they are the best band on this bill, other than trivium, but I know lots of people here despise them. Black Dahlia Murder kicks ass too.

Well, the main reason the fest isn't in the same game is because of Corporate sponsorship.

Still though, the approach can and I think should be the same.

I don't know. I am just getting tired of these major rock / metal packages and festivals making these mission statements about how they are going to be different.

Then year after year, it's all bands who have played every fest anyhow.

As I said, nothing new or fresh.

I am not knocking ANY of the bands on the fest.

I would be saying the same thing if Prog Power next year was Primal Fear, Stratovarius, Therion, Kamelot, Evergrey, and Symphony X. Sure, good bands and good package, but nothing too unique.

I said it before. I STRONGLY applaud the Amorphis booking for last year. It was completely new and fresh for Prog Power and opened the doors for future possibility beyond what is predicatable or even maybe expected at this point.

Well, the main reason the fest isn't in the same game is because of Corporate sponsorship.

Still though, the approach can and I think should be the same.

I don't know. I am just getting tired of these major rock / metal packages and festivals making these mission statements about how they are going to be different.

Then year after year, it's all bands who have played every fest anyhow.

As I said, nothing new or fresh.

I am not knocking ANY of the bands on the fest.

I would be saying the same thing if Prog Power next year was Primal Fear, Stratovarius, Therion, Kamelot, Evergrey, and Symphony X. Sure, good bands and good package, but nothing too unique.

I said it before. I STRONGLY applaud the Amorphis booking for last year. It was completely new and fresh for Prog Power and opened the doors for future possibility beyond what is predicatable or even maybe expected at this point.
I don't really give a shit about any of this philosophical nonsense. I'm going because the show is pretty cool.