SLAYER: "Still Reigning"

TD

HAS INTEGRITY
Aaaahhhh, fuck the election results. I've got Slayer "Still Reigning" ripping thru the home theatre of the Tyfeciency Bachelor pad. Nothing like Slayer jamming thru the ENTIRE RIB album, in sequence no less, on stage with 7,249 of their closest friends in the crowd. (why the fuck did they film this in Maine??? The Augusta Civic Center??? Maine! Slayer!?!?!) This DVD makes a nice souvie for those of us who saw Slayer do the RIB thing last year on the Jager tour! Plus you get to see the cool Rain effect, and a nice documentary.

Yay! My copy just arrived this morning - haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Should be killer though. I never got Warfield coz of all the DIM / GHUA tracks on it. But this is a killer set. With Lombardo. And blood. What could possibly go wrong?

Huh?! I was just about to rave about how damned awesome the whole thing is, and then I read your post. I only listened to Criminally Insane, but I thought it was perfecto. Killer production on the kit. And you can hear Tom's bass too! For that track at least, I had no problem with his voice at all. I especially liked it when he kicked it up a gear for the last verse. (Or is it a chorus? Whatever. The last bit.) I hear he has been having trouble with his voice lately though. That is indeed a damn shame, although it's hardly surprising, I guess, after yelling for 20 years or so.

Is it just me, or is Kerry King a bit of a knob these days? He certainly likes his oily day-glo wrestlers. It's a bit sad really. He seems to have transformed himself into what Glaswegians would dismiss as a "wee man" (that's "wee" in the sense of small and frustrated, not "wee" as in urine). While I'm at it, I wish someone would hide Kerry's pen so he couldn't write lyrics anymore. Araya's lyrics have always been pretty cool, but lately, King's sound like he's just been transcribing the Rush Limbaugh show.

I didn't even know about this! I'm always busy online doing Anthrax stuff, or masturbating, that I haven't paid attention.

Does it sound better than War at the Warfield (I hope)?

I liked War at the Warfield, it's not brilliant but still good enough to warrant a few viewings. I have to add though KK should get the fucking chip off his shoulder and lighten up a little, he is becoming a parody of himself.

Totally. I think the line that made me cringe the most from God Hates Us All was "The system's gonna fail you, just the way it failed me", or however it goes. I'm not entire convinced the system failed the poor little millionaire.

J1NX said:
Totally. I think the line that made me cringe the most from God Hates Us All was "The system's gonna fail you, just the way it failed me", or however it goes. I'm not entire convinced the system failed the poor little millionaire.
:lol: yeah you´re right. I tend to laugh at these who are always so superangry and superbitter about everything.

J1NX said:
are you sure they are millionaires?? don't think so

No I'm not sure, I've just read it in interviews.

Anyway, my main point as far as this thread is concerned is that I got around to watching the DVD last night and would give it 10/10. I thought it was the bomb. Holy crap, is Lombardo on form, or what?! It's worth the retail price just to see him play. He's always been the engine of Slayer, but he's absolutely on fire here. Also, I didn't hear any problem with Tom's voice. To my ears it sounds pretty much as it does in other live recordings going way back. I loved the blood effect too. I think it's a great video - their best by a wide margin in my opinion. Even the docu section was pretty interesting. (And Kerry King didn't come across as a dolt!)

I think the DVD is great. Tom's voice sounds fine to me, he doesn't sound hoarse like i've heard him in the past. The 5.1 audio mix is killer. The editing isn't hyper fast, so you can actually see what they're playing. The picture quality is good, but not as good as the best high production live DVD's. Personally, I think Dave has slowed down a bit as compared to his drumming 10 - 15 years ago, but he's still great of course.
To compare, overall I think Still Reigning is better produced than Music Of Mass Destruction. They both have great audio, but the editing is slower and better on Still Reigning.

Saw them Sat. (review on TD's thread) and Tom's vox were not lacking in any way if anyone is still wondering! Anthrax was considerably better last month however.

Slayer and the Thrax are the two band i've never been dissapionted with live. I remember back when i was about 15 going to see Pantera (who were at that time my 2nd favorite band) and being really pissed off cause Phil was wrecked through drink or drugs falling about stage forgetting lyrics. Anthrax and Slayer are always going to give 100%