Slayer to play Ozzfest?

From Blabbermouth:

"The press conference to announce the exact lineup for this year's Ozzfest will now take place one day later than originally announced — on Friday, February 20. The venue for the press conference will remain the same: Avalon (web site, 1735 N. Vine Street) in Hollywood, California.

The following bands are believed to be confirmed for the festival right now:

OZZY OSBOURNE
JUDAS PRIEST
SLAYER
SLIPKNOT
HATEBREED
EVERY TIME I DIE
ATREYU
BLEEDING THROUGH

Rumored confirmations include THE DARKNESS, DIMMU BORGIR, SUPERJOINT RITUAL, BLACK LABEL SOCIETY and LAMB OF GOD. More information will be made available soon."

All kidding aside, this is by far the strongest Ozzfest lineup I can recall.

First year Ozzfest:

Ozzy
Slayer
Danzig
Sepultura (w/ Max)
Fear Factory
Neurosis
Biohazard
and others.

THAT was a strong Ozzfest lineup. ;)

NAD said:
First year Ozzfest:

Ozzy
Slayer
Danzig
Sepultura (w/ Max)
Fear Factory
Neurosis
Biohazard
and others.

Holy Crosses! Yeah that ruled. And if I remember right, the following year they had Black Sabbath (reunion with Ozzy) and Megadeth.

NAD said:
First year Ozzfest:

Ozzy
Slayer
Danzig
Sepultura (w/ Max)
Fear Factory
Neurosis
Biohazard
and others.

I would take Ozzy, Priest, Slayer, Lamb of God, and Dimmu over that ANY day! Fear Factory, Neurosis & Biohazard are literally meaningless to me, and Sepulture in 1996 (with or without Max) was only a step above meaningless. I'll keep my thoughts on Danzig to myself ;)

That first year line-up blows away this year's.....quite easily. Hell, just Neurosis blows away this year's line-up.

markgugs said:
I'll keep my thoughts on Danzig to myself ;)
Anyone can say whatever the hell they want about Danzig now, I've got one convert under my belt with JayKeeley. Wait make that two, haddsie likes him too. :Spin:

1996 was THE year for Sepultura, Max harnessed his anger unlike anyone I've ever seen. Biohazard and Fear Factory were some of my favorite groups back then, I don't listen to them so much anymore though. Neurosis intrigued me since that day. I didn't really like them, but they were different and I assumed their material was more for the album as opposed to played live. Still haven't checked them out though.

I was looking at the other past lineups for Ozzfest, one year had Megadeth, Tool, and Ultraspank! How I missed that I'll never know. The last Ozzfest I went to had Methods of Mayhem and fucking Godsmack. :puke: Pantera too, which was worth it. Total mallrat fest though, which is why I haven't gone since.

Yeah, I agree with that first line up probably being the best. The fact that Sepultura were supporting Roots with Max at the helm just sells it alone for me -> COMPLETE songs from Roots, Chaos AD, Arise, and BTR. And of course, their encore of Troops of Doom or Orgasmatron. None of this montage crap that they do today, with Andreas Kisser wasting his soloing talents away into nothingness.

Fear Factory and Biohazard would have been interesting to see live. Remanufacture was one of the few albums my ravey friends could take me playing. Man, that is a cool album. To this day, I've never heard any Neurosis.

Not sure what I would have thought of Danzig back then, so it's hard to say, but I love them now. Slayer is a given, and even Ozzy was better back then, being less interested in performing for his MTV audience. Most importantly, Zakk Wylde was on fire...

...NAD, I went to the OzzFest in 98 and there was one big drawback. No Zakk Wylde. I don't think the two of them were getting on and so Ozzy recruited Joe Holmes for the tour. He was a good stand-in, being an ex-student of Randy Rhoads, but he was no Zakk.

Anyway, the show with Megadeth and Tool supporting was brilliant. No matter what anyone says about 'Deth, Cryptic Writings was great by me and the songs worked excellently live - especially She Wolf and Trust. And of course Tool were promoting Aenima....what more can be said? Also, if I remember right, Max turned up again with Soulfly, and although their own music was terrible, the Sepultura montage they played had everyone jumping. They basically combined Arise, Chaos AD, Roots, and Dead Embryonic Cells into one 10 minute headbanging set during the blazing heat of that summers day in Camden, NJ. \m/

JayKeeley said:
They basically combined Arise, Chaos AD, Roots, and Dead Embryonic Cells into one 10 minute headbanging set during the blazing heat of that summers day in Camden, NJ. \m/
Well that certainly rules. :kickass:

I never got to see Megadeth live, that was pretty stupid of me. Oh well.

I'm pretty sure Joe Holmes was playing with Ozzy in '96... Mike Bordin and Robert Trujillo got my attention though, I didn't know they were playing for him and needless to say I was frickin' stoked when they walked on stage. Speaking of waste of talent, Trujillo's current gig leaves much to be desired of his abilities. :Smug: I can't even remember who Ozzy's guitarist was in 2000. That's really gonna bug me now... was it Zakk? I'm searching the Internet now since my brainfiles are toast. :loco:

Oh I figured Zakk always came back to Ozzy for the OzzFests and that it was only in 98 that Joe Holmes showed. OK, that probably makes more sense. I take my hat off to Joe Holmes playing that solo Randy/JayKeeley medley, where he combines "Diary of a Madman" in with "Killer of Giants".

You never saw Megadeth live? Damn, I saw them all over the shop: Clash of the Titans with Slayer, Testament, and Trujillo's best band ever, Suicidal Tendencies. I even saw them support Metallica at Milton Keynes, UK around 91-92. That was amazing to see them both on the same bill. In fact, I think I saw them on every tour since RIP, except World Needs a Hero. I'd given up by then. :loco:

Anyone selling a DVD copy of Rude Awakening? :D

OK here's the final line up for OzzFest this year. Definite lack of nuMetal...

Main Stage:

OZZY OSBOURNE
JUDAS PRIEST
SLAYER
DIMMU BORGIR
SUPERJOINT RITUAL
BLACK LABEL SOCIETY

Second Stage:

SLIPKNOT
HATEBREED
LAMB OF GOD

Rotating:

ATREYU
BLEEDING THROUGH
LACUNA COIL
EVERY TIME I DIE
UNEARTH
GOD FORBID

So here's a question - who's going to show up? Is it going to be a bunch of 'nu' fans - the same that would have gone to the standard Ozzfest show, or will the 'real' metal fans come out of the woodwork? This certainly represents one of the larger true metal festivals now doesn't it?

not going because:

1. The tickets will probably be expensive
2. Too many nu-kids will be there
3. I would be interested in seeing only 2 or 3 of those bands
4. Slipknot sucks and they will bring out the jock rock nu idiots
5. Dimmu sucks and they will bring out the wannabe goth black metal idiots and fat chicks dressed in black
6. Phil Anselmo is a moron.
7. I'm poor.

There will definitely be nu-kids. I'll do my absolute best to ignore them. I've never seen Dimmu, so just call me curious. Slayer kicks my ass more and more each time I see them. I've only seen Ozzy once, and I'm feeling nostalgic. I'm genuinely excited to see Priest back together - one of my all-time faves of yesteryear. Lamb of God is the most exciting thing the USA underground has going right now (but aside from them, I won't be venturing very close to stage #2).

Agreed on:
1. The tickets will probably be expensive
4. Slipknot sucks and they will bring out the jock rock nu idiots
6. Phil Anselmo is a moron.
7. I'm poor.

only bands I'd like to see would be Slayer, Lacuna Coil, and maybe Unearth. Other than them, I don't care.

I tried to like Lamb of God, but I just didn't see what the fuss was about.

Dreamlord said:
only bands I'd like to see would be Slayer, Lacuna Coil, and maybe Unearth. Other than them, I don't care.

I tried to like Lamb of God, but I just didn't see what the fuss was about.
I think it's hilarious that you truly enjoy Lacuna Coil, since they're as wannabee goth-trance as anyone. Hell, I fully expect rap/rock a la Evanescence on their next album.

As for LoG, it's all about the riffs babee, the riffs.

It's not that I like Lacuna COil, I'd just like to see CHristina in action.

I didn't think LoG's riffs were all that.