'Sleepers' - Messiah's Kiss - 'Dragonheart' (2007)

Oct 17, 2006
I call these albums 'Sleepers' because they are albums you don't hear a lot about but deserve to be noticed. I'm sure everybody has ended up buying something on a whim that has proven to be a real gem in their collection. Here's a few of recent additions to my collection that have surpassed all of my expectations. Some older, some newer - But all are worth checking out.

Messiah's Kiss - 'Dragonheart' (2007)- Mix a bit or Astral Doors to Paragon, toss in a couple galloping riffs, & fantastic melodies with a very Dio-esque vocalist & you've got one of the best Cd's I've heard in a long time. Though the influences are there, their songwriting & delivery remains is original and sets them apart from similar bands.

Marauder - 'Life ? (2004)' This CD is simply brilliant - Original metal from Greece??? May be difficult for some to beleive but this CD is. From start to finish this album is full of excellent songs of various tempos and style. The songs are very melodic & instantly memorable especially "Bastards', 'Defenders' & Evil's Curse'

Elwing - 'War' (2005) - Another surprising band from Greece. They remind me a bit of Brocas Helm with a touch of Domine. The epic powermetal sound dominates the CD and the gruff sound of the vocalist is a strong asset. Original, maybe not so much - But well worth checking out. ('Immortal Stories' is excellent as well & includes more folk influences though production isn't quite as good.)

Black Hawk - 'Dragonride' (2007) (Germany) - This album took me by surprise. It is simple, basic traditional heavy metal with catchy riffs & melodies. This is a fun CD. No - It's not Happy Happy Joy Joy stuff - it's just good music that needs to be played LOUD. The music & vocalist strongy reminds me of someone but I'm unable to determine who. (This band released their first EP in 1989 ad is also included on this CD).

Sacred Steel - 'Slaughter Prophecy' (2002) (Germany)- This epic heavy metal band has been around since 1997. The features that really define this CD and sets it apart from the rest are the unique vocals (who kinda reminds me of Pete Shelly of the Buzzcock's)and the overall feel of horror which is difficult to describe. (Think of Solemnity).

Airged L'amh - 'The Silver Arm' (2004) Another excellent band from Greece. Described as Heavy/Power/Folk metal- they've put together an album that captures several genres and delivers in a way I've not heard before. So - as for originality- I give them very high marks and the complexity of the songs is a fine demonstration of the bands talent. This is a very heavy, epic sounding disc with a bit of thrash, folk, speed, and fantastic songwriting. Might appeal to fans of Wuthering Heights or Domine.

Metal Law - ' Night Of The Wolf'(2007) - Very strong debut by this German metal band folling in the footsteps of Manowar, Paragon, Iron Savior, Majesty etc. Definately not original- but very traditional, catchy and even a bit cheesy. 'Night Of The Wolf' is a very basic Raise Your Fist, Metal Or Die enjoyable, well executed melodic power metal album. Fans of this genre shouldn't miss this one.

:cry: Disappointing additions to my collection :mad:
Demon's Seed - 'Dawn Of A New World' - I really try to like this CD because I really enjoy a lot of the music... but.... I just can't cope with the whiny- drawn out vocals for very long.

Dawnrider - 'Fate Is Calling, Pt. 1' - This is an Avantasia style side project by Majesty's founder and should have been left alone. The CD has a couple decent tracks (IMO) but considering all of the talent on here- it is obvious they're all saving their best stuff for their own albums. I expected more.

Great topic/post, PM Rebel!
Marauder are indeed from Greece.

At last someone who mentions the Airged l'Amh-cd. That is such an underrated album. Lots of energy, an epic atmosphere throughout and an unpolished production that's exactly right for this type of metal.

A prominent sleeper for me this past year has been Time will tell by NWoBHM-veterans Rekuiem (who used to spell their name Requiem). This album on Majestic Records is just a dream come true for fans of real HM: the vocals by ex-Tredegar's Paul Parry are simply brilliant, the songs powerful, a bit on the doomy side and filled with great melodies without ever losing their heaviness.
Karl Wilcox recorded the drum tracks, but left just a short while ago because he will be touring again intensively with his original band Diamond Head.

Other sleepers:

Profound - Deep and sincere (2003)
Excellent progressive power album on Steelheart Records, recorded by a Dutch band with members of heavy metallers Black Knight (who recorded one cd and released it in the CD-R format). The vocalist here is Pieter Bas Borger, who's right up there with the best of them. The guitar work is on a very high level, both in terms of technical finesse and melodies/harmonies.

Python - Good & evil (2004)
Private press, US-band. Very enjoyable powerthrash album that is a bit hard to find.

Hard Echo - Traded secrets (2004)
Another self-financed disc, this one from an American band that plays traditional metal with some Maiden-influences and has a very in-your-face overall sound. The raw vocals are also worthy of note.

Great topic/post, PM Rebel!
Marauder are indeed from Greece.

At last someone who mentions the Airged l'Amh-cd. That is such an underrated album. Lots of energy, an epic atmosphere throughout and an unpolished production that's exactly right for this type of metal.

A prominent sleeper for me this past year has been Time will tell by NWoBHM-veterans Rekuiem (who used to spell their name Requiem). This album on Majestic Records is just a dream come true for fans of real HM: the vocals by ex-Tredegar's Paul Parry are simply brilliant, the songs powerful, a bit on the doomy side and filled with great melodies without ever losing their heaviness.
Karl Wilcox recorded the drum tracks, but left just a short while ago because he will be touring again intensively with his original band Diamond Head.

Other sleepers:

Profound - Deep and sincere (2003)
Excellent progressive power album on Steelheart Records, recorded by a Dutch band with members of heavy metallers Black Knight (who recorded one cd and released it in the CD-R format). The vocalist here is Pieter Bas Borger, who's right up there with the best of them. The guitar work is on a very high level, both in terms of technical finesse and melodies/harmonies.

Python - Good & evil (2004)
Private press, US-band. Very enjoyable powerthrash album that is a bit hard to find.

Hard Echo - Traded secrets (2004)
Another self-financed disc, this one from an American band that plays traditional metal with some Maiden-influences and has a very in-your-face overall sound. The raw vocals are also worthy of note.

I've got Requiem's 'Mask Of Damnation' & 'Requiem Forever'. BUT - After a bit of research - I find they are not the same band you're talking about. Gonna try & track down the 'Time will tell' CD - Sounds like something I'd like.

I just picked up the Black Knight CD a few months back when I found out it was reissued on 'Cult Metal Classics.

Looks like you've mentioned a few items I can add to my want list. Thanks! :kickass:

I've got Requiem's 'Mask Of Damnation' & 'Requiem Forever'. BUT - After a bit of research - I find they are not the same band you're talking about. Gonna try & track down the 'Time will tell' CD - Sounds like something I'd like.

I just picked up the Black Knight CD a few months back when I found out it was reissued on 'Cult Metal Classics.

Looks like you've mentioned a few items I can add to my want list. Thanks! :kickass:

The Black Knight I was talking about is a different one too, though. The one you mentioned are the Americans who recorded the classic Master of disaster (with the b/w fantasy artwork).

I ordered 'Time Will Tell' Sunday & it came yesterday- Cool stuff. Reminds me a lot of UFO. Sure was surprised to hear the Sabbath cover on there. They have a sound that actually seems to span decades. From 70's to modern -it's all in that CD but to me they seem to be mosty influenced by 80's. Bet they'd do a cool U.F.O. cover.