Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

The Grimace

New Metal Member
Oct 21, 2004
North of the Valley, South of the Hills
Listen to this band. I want to call them a metal band, but then they're really not.. but then they're so fucking heavy and intense at times, but still they have way too diverse and unique of a sound to be limited to 'metal'... I just don't know. They're the same sort of anti-genre music as Faith No More, but still totally different. Somewhat like taking Mikael Akerfeldt, Fredrik Thordendahl, and Mike Patton, stuffing them to the gills with PCP, shoving them all into a big oil drum and shaking it violenty for 20 minutes, then putting them in a room and telling them to play free-jazz. o_O

It's fucking great, get it, you'll trip out. There's some really strange female vocals throughout (the male vocals are just as strange), and weird screechy violin stuff (Like Warren Ellis from The Dirty Three), and a lot of other insane experimentation, all based around a really tight prog-metal core. And they're also maybe the only band I've ever heard that is obviously influenced by Meshuggah, but without sounding exactly like Meshuggah, just doing variations on riffs Thordendal wrote 10 years ago, which makes them one of the most unique things I've ever heard.

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, "Grand Opening And Closing", get it, ya bastards.

Amazing band indeed, but a majority of the people here already know about this band.

Edit: They have a new CD out now, Of Natural History. Check it.

I'm sure plenty of people would speculate that I'm too "ignorant" to "get it". Music like this reminds me exactly of modernist art.

Jean-Pierre said:
I'm sure plenty of people would speculate that I'm too "ignorant" to "get it". Music like this reminds me exactly of modernist art.
Yeah, and there are always those of us who know it's just not your style.

At least you had the decency to state it as something you probably wouldn't like due to the similar-sounding groups instead of going on a "they SUHHHHCK" rant.

Cheers.

Dissing modernist art/post-modern art is a no go by me, but agreed, you had the whole decency thing.

I find their music rather distracticing, good in the mood though.

I like how he had to explain the joke as if we didn't get it.

"LOL GET IT CUZ HE SED MEN AND THATS GAY M8KING IT IRONC"

yeah, stole the album outta your Slsk folder Grim, cheers buddy. "when i grow up im never gonna sleep, when i grow up im never gonna cry. When i go out im never comin home, when i grow up im never gonna die"