Slicing and Dicing Tracks in Cubase To Align

jauernis

Feb 11, 2007
Frisco, CA
www.myspace.com
So I was watching a pro tools video (after reading a joey sturgis thread) on syncing everything up with the kick and snare? So I've been slicing guitar tracks and vocals an aligning them with the beat of the kick and snare..freaking sounds awesome!
But my question if any of you guys splice how do you get rid of that complete silence after cutting...it really stands out at times?
In the pro tools vid he uses some kind of time alignment to have the end of the vocal connect straight with the newly alligned vocal bypassing any silence?

any ideas hopefully im making sense..

Highlight the two pieces of audio and hit x :) read about crossfades in the cubase manual, and if you need any more info after that google cubase crossfades

i also bought those multi platinum videos and transferred all the ideas into
my "cubase world" :)

if there are gaps left -> cut behind the transient > then timestretch the tail / sustain of the instrument to fill the blank spaces.

how do timestretch in cubase ?

press "1" >> 3 times and your cursor becomes a little clock.
now you can timestretch files by dragging the audio files to the rigth (or for timecomression to the left)

important : i get much better results by using the mpex 4 algorythm for timestretching.

i'm on cubase 5 ... dont know about earlier versions.

hope that helps!

An addition to the above post:

After slicing an dicing, select the events that need to be ass to mouth, right click, choose "close gaps" command under the "advanced" title. It streches or shrinks the events automatically.

This is done according to what you selected as the default time strech algorithm in the preferences. So change that from "preview quality" to something more complex and time consuming.

Sometimes if I'm fixing a mistake and the tail and start of two leave a silence gap and it isn't appropriate to time stretch them (most of the time I've found) I'll hit record and stop it really quickly, with no input signal, so that I get a silent clip. I then make it fit between the two peices of recorded audio and cross fade them.