Slightly OT: Want to start a band in UCSB

Shard

The Unholy Thpoo
Dec 19, 2002
(UC)Santa Barbara, CA
Hails.

I've been a lurker here for a while, so I know plenty of musicians frequent this forum. I'm a freshman at UCSB (University of California at Santa Barbara), and I really want to start a progressive metal band. Strong influences from Opeth, Bloodbath, early In Flames, etc...

I've been playing guitar for 2 years, and I can play a whole bunch of Opeth songs completely. I can also growl (somewhat). So, if anybody wants to get together, or just jam, that would be awesome. I'm looking for anybody to play with, but I'm really looking for a drummer and a guitarist.

\m/
-Tim

Shard said:
Hails.

I've been a lurker here for a while, so I know plenty of musicians frequent this forum. I'm a freshman at UCSB (University of California at Santa Barbara), and I really want to start a progressive metal band. Strong influences from Opeth, Bloodbath, early In Flames, etc...

I've been playing guitar for 2 years, and I can play a whole bunch of Opeth songs completely. I can also growl (somewhat). So, if anybody wants to get together, or just jam, that would be awesome. I'm looking for anybody to play with, but I'm really looking for a drummer and a guitarist.

\m/
-Tim

Oh man, look at this :tickled: :D :wave: . I'm an alumni I just graduated in June we could have hooked up!
Too bad I didn't meet more people like you last year.

not really a death metal type location I suppose, a couple people I know went there and they basically fit the description of beach bum. Really nice place though just too far away from me as well.

Come to think about I met a guy last year at UCSB who was into Emperor and Darkthrone I guess black metal in general, kind of a recluse not really into partying and drinking.
So we didn't really hang out, he used to come to my work (cafe) and talk about metal.

Shard said:
There's no fucking way I'm the only one who listens to metal around here....is that....possible? :ill:Arrrggg.

Santa Bizzy isn't really a place where you see any metal dudes.
I got by being the unique guy in musical taste at school :tickled:
Instead of being sheep from the shit most people listen at SB :ill:

You'd be surprised at how vibrant the metal scene in SoCal really is. Go to some shows and you'll see what I mean. And I would try the old tried-&-true method of putting up a flyer on the school bulletin board or at a guitar store. If Santa Barbara is anything like San Diego, you'll see 10 flyers for punk bands for every one that is looking for metal musicians (because punk is easy to play). Good luck!

I was in Santa Barbara for 4 years and I never saw any activity of metal bands in the area.
Besides meeting the only 2 guys in school that were down with good metal but nothing really.