Slipknot / Slayer / Hatebreed / Mastodon - Birmingham National Indoor Arena, 05/10/04

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Slipknot / Slayer / Hatebreed / Mastodon
Birmingham National Indoor Arena, 05/10/04
By Philip Whitehouse

A very interesting line-up, this one - a relative newcomer in the extreme metal scene opening, followed by the monarchs of the tough-guy metalcore scene, preceding a double-headline act featuring the most respected, consistent band in the thrash metal genre and perhaps the most successful, but also most reviled mainstream metal band of recent history.

slipknot1.jpg

It's up to Mastodon to kick things off, and to warm people up for the set, Brann Dailor takes to the drum-stool, lets fly a flurry of cymbal crashes and tom-rolls, then the band launches into the lurching, disorienting groove of 'March Of The Fire Ants'. Robbed of some of their elemental power by a somewhat muddied 'first-band-sound', Mastodon nevertheless get the arena headbanging successfully during their four-song set. The hypnotising, elephantine grooves in their songs carried over the bottom-end drenched sound, the vocalists' howls and screams carving a path through that sludgy tide like dolphins through an oil-slicked ocean. Throwing classic rock-star shapes throughout, the guitarists alternate from lead-heavy riffage to intricate and intriguingly amelodic dual harmonies, before slamming into a Sabbath-on-Mogadon passage that demolishes all in it's wake. An impressive start, then.

Hatebreed follow the intricacy and technical approach of Mastodon the only way they know how - with a straight-forward, vein-bulging intensity and efficiency. From the opening notes of set-starter 'This Is Now', the arena floor erupts into a frenzied mosh-pit that only grows in intensity with ringmaster Jamey Jasta's repeated calls for bigger and bigger circle-slams. The loss of Boulder on guitar hasn't harmed the 'Breed much, as 'Doomsayer', 'Live For This', 'Last Breath' and crowd-pleasing finale 'I Will Be Heard' lay waste to the venue, with a crushing bottom-end punch and savage, machine-gun riffage.

slipknot2.jpg

By now fully pumped and ready for action - if not utterly discombobulated by the street-gang-esque violence on display during Hatebreed's set - the audience's rapturous reception for Slayer is matched only by how utterly bat-shit the crowd go for the thrash metal quartet's note-perfect renditions of 'Chemical Warfare', 'Seasons In The Abyss', 'South Of Heaven', 'Angel Of Death', 'War Ensemble' and various other workouts in triplet-wristed, furiously played thrash masterpieces. The intro to 'Dead Skin Mask' literally sent chills down your humble scribe's spine, and one surmises that the furiously headbanging trio of Tom Araya, Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman were internally glad of their decision to steer largely clear of Diabolus In Musica and God Hates Us All material tonight. The only thing that rankled about Slayer's set was their decision, at the end, to thank only the long-standing, veteran fans rather than the thousands of more recent converts turned on to thrash through the last couple of albums. What the hell though, I have my copy of Reign In Blood...[/b]

slipknot3.jpg

Finally, Slipknot. Tonight was the second time I've seen Hatebreed, the third time I've seen Slayer, and also the third time I've seen Iowa's eighteen-legged hate machine in action... except tonight, the masked marauders were missing two legs. It seems spiked-diving-helmetted sampler Craig is in hospital having surgery, but the 'Knot decided to carry on regardless. Perhaps a tad unwise, considering his absence made little noticeable difference to Slipknot's sound, highlighting to the more perceptive how accurate the observations made by 'Knot haters as to the surplus-to-requirements nature of at least three of the members... but I digress. As a spectacle, Slipknot are awesome... first time around. However, this was third time round for me, and now all the trash-can whaling, drumkit riding, nose-wanking and head-slapping antics are starting to come across as rather choreographed, and thus less effective. Lucky, then, that the material from Vol. 3 : The Subliminal Verses adds to the enjoyment significantly. The unusually intricate riffage and sublime push-and-pull dynamics of 'Duality' raise the roof tonight, as does the pyrotechnic energy of 'Pulse Of The Maggots'. The over-long and over-blown 'Vermillion' threatens to derail the momentum, but luckily first-album stalwarts 'Spit It Out' and 'Surfacing' are on hand to regain the spite.

slipknot4.jpg

Corey is still the consumnate showman, by turns confrontational and confessional, having the crowd eating out of his hand the entire time - and it's impossible to ignore the sheer dedication Slipknot get from their fans - not even Slayer got the venue going quite as crazy as this, although that could be down to the exuberance of youth. However, perhaps that was the whole point of the gig - Slipknot's almost exclusively 10-18 year-old audience being given the chance to check out more diverse and extreme music that MTV and Kerrang! wouldn't otherwise have encouraged them to see. Under those terms, tonight is a complete success.

Sounded great. I wish I could have went.

Slipknot are easily one of the best bands I've ever seen live, they give thier best each time and arent a band to be missed live. Their live performances are the reason why I call them a metal band, they certainly aren't Staind.

I'm not big on Slayer at all but they would have been a good band to watch too.

Damn I want to see Mastodon, the bastards toured their own headlining tour to join this one. A good chance for some exposure though so I would reckon it was a good move on their part, sounded like a great gig.

Well i must say in Glasgow, Slayer were all though a good show, a rather short set! But Slipknot!! well.....yeah, they were so boring i fell asleep between Coreys content reminders of where he was "Hi Glasgow!" "Glasgow, your cool" "glasgow..." "glasgow..." it wasn't as good as i would ave expected from Slipknot

Both Support bands were very good though

I went to the show at Cardiff, but threw up three songs into Slayer's set :cry: my mates stood at the back and said it was boring, but they listen to emo. Anyone go Cardiff? How were Slayer really?

I've seen them on the tour in Belgium. To be very short, Slayer RULED !! Slipknot and Hatebreed are just balloon bands, just need a little needle to explode their thin skin. Except for a wall of sound they have nothing to say, they even aren't heavy bands in my opinion !! Very bad choice of Slayer to tour with them. I only hope some Slipfuck kids have seen the light and get some Slayer albums !!

I saw mastadon and Slayer live on Fields of Rock, a festival in nijmegen(netherlands) I never saw them live so I didn't knew what to expect.
Wel Mastodon played a few hours before slayer, and i must say i was really impressed.
It was just great, great music, great audience, and i F*cking good pit.
So an hour later mastodon stopped playing, i left the tent, and went to the main stage were slayer would perform.
So slayer went on stage, i went nuts, i mean i'm a big fan of slayer, so i was happy i saw them live.
2 bad the whole performens of slayer was'nt as good as i thought i would be.
Maybe the music whas just bad, or they played becauze they had it 2 hot, the sun whas shining the whole day, people passed out becauze of the heat, so maybe they played bad cauze of that reason.
well i should'nt be to negative, "angel of Death" "ditto head" and "War ensemble" were great and i have some nice photos of the concert

I hope I see slayer live again, and maybe there not as bad as they played in nijmegen

x1pNWjjkHJ3o_zDvbVoQ7G21Xochhz8u5POVntB4_dmttwn0kRr-EOUmWJY-nIqtslOapTYOFS8DQ-BthAkGCCm9LXOt-amcCdDHFjFNKDHwcn3pJOotixz4tFTQfGQ5z7t

Mastadon!

x1pNWjjkHJ3o_zDvbVoQ7G21WZqzucojCnxCF91INqjZtxW3HydGnI-IvZv3TY3VZJWCWhk3VsAkXhMmm885PvWS-9Ds8wyPahcOEHylI2hnsQv51kXcfJL1kLZyptwOjko

Slayerdrummer, I think this is about the best picture i took of the show...

x1pNWjjkHJ3o_zDvbVoQ7G21R9LaYYKZEmFVf0yXfW_2Ulu18Ep1qJo9XHn0mk7BmvzhEzO1FMK3t29c4V05du9eDK5JbLkwnNJRe1PY4fgxV4RiqrC9l2I-HHrcGM8HEZN

i have more but they aint so great

you guys are so lucky.you re living in america.but in here at turkey there isnt so much concerts like this....

I hope I will see again Slayer in Slovenia they are f**** crazy
In 2005 they was been in Metalcamp in Slovenia also Anthrax came back in
as they are been before with Joe Beladonna and it was the best metal days for me because I am Anthrax fan

http://metalstaff.com

Waa' I kno y'all are inta' metal but... it's kinda old now ya know dontcha think comeon be logical lawk me and wear business suits and be fat y'allllll ya yur nawt thinkin like an adult hur. watch yur language thurs ladies round hur boy