SLOUGH FEG INTERVIEW - part 2

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Right, so this is where Mike and I talk about influences, Slough Feg albums, the Hammers albums (including The Locust Years), John Cobbet, stolen guitars, playing in East Germany, just generally lots of good stuff.

Ready set go:

JK: We just re-launched our webzine and if you don’t mind, we copied the quote from Twilight of the Idols on to our homepage.

MS: HAH! That’s cool, that’s cool. That’s awesome!

JK: I’m hoping that our webmaster was listening to “Life in the Dark Age” on his Twilight vinyl when he published that.

MS: Oh he found that huh? As far as I’ve heard, you can only get that on eBay now or something.

JK: He lives in Sweden and went to a record fair.

MS: Yeah, in Sweden you could probably get it. I can’t believe what that thing is worth – see what a BROCAS HELM vinyl might fetch you these days, maybe $100.

JK: Whenever you’re mentioned, you’re always discussed in the same light as bands like BROCAS HELM or MANILLA ROAD, but do you associate yourself more with the NWOBHM?

MS: To be honest, I do associate myself more with the NWOBHM. When it comes to MANILLA ROAD, not really, and not because I don’t like them but just because I was never influenced by them. BROCAS HELM on the other hand I didn’t discover until 1996, but when I played a show with them was the first time I ever heard them. I have to say, I’m definitely inspired by them now, and vice versa I’m sure. We’re really, really good friends. They’re the best of those underground bands by far. People always mention CIRITH UNGOL too and MANILLA ROAD as if I’d listened to them when I was a kid but I had no idea who they were! It’s just because they weren’t that big and I like the early MANILLA ROAD stuff a lot, but I’m not crazy about every one of their albums. I’ve met them and they’re really cool, and CIRITH UNGOL, I like their stuff but it doesn’t make me go nuts.

JK: Which particular MANILLA ROAD album is your favorite? Crystal Logic?

MS: Everyone says that’s the best one but I disagree, I think their best albums are the first two. Metal and Invasion – I think those two are far beyond Crystal Logic. See, everyone says Crystal Logic is the best album but when I got it, I liked the first song a lot but otherwise it doesn’t really get to me like it does with other people.

JK: Yeah, well you do hear a lot about Crystal Logic and so I also ended up getting The Deluge and Open the Gates, but I haven’t got into them as much yet.

MS: The Deluge and Open the Gates? I’ve heard those like once each. I mean, just between you and me, there’s a lot of hype around them and I don’t really see it. People really worship them and I just don’t get it.

JK: But then you get BROCAS HELM self-releasing their own albums once every ten years or something.

MS: Yeah well you have to see them live. Their records don’t stand up to the live performance, but as far as MANILLA ROAD goes, those two first albums are really, really great. After that, there’s some good stuff too, but not as much.

JK: How much of the Bay Area scene did you get into back in the mid 80’s?

MS: I will say right now that I was never interested in the Bay Area Thrash scene, period. I bought Bonded by Blood when it came out in 1985 because I liked VENOM, and somehow I associated it with VENOM, but I didn’t even know it was from the Bay Area. I did like that, then I bought some METALLICA albums and eventually I liked those early ones, of course, but I never liked EXODUS after Bonded by Blood at all. I never liked TESTAMENT at all. I never liked DEATH ANGEL at all. That stuff doesn’t do much for me.

JK: Ok what about MEGADETH?

MS: I liked the first album, but I’m not crazy about MEGADETH. I like some of it, but Bay Area stuff is not heavy metal to me in that it doesn’t have the same spirit. First of all, it’s too Americanized.

JK: Well, when I listen to your instrumental work, I hear a lot of Dave Mustaine type riffs.

MS: Oh there might be, yeah.

JK: I mean, what about “Robustus”?!

MS: [laughs] You know when I wrote that? I wrote that when I was 15 in 1985. I wrote that because I was listening to VENOM and EXODUS a lot. Yeah, I wrote that when I was 15 and I tried to do it in a band and no one could really play it that well at that age, you know.

JK: Thing is, it’s interesting because I hear it on occasion on the HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE stuff as well.

MS: Oh yeah.

JK: Is that coming from you or John?

MS: No, it’s coming from John. In HAMMERS, I wrote some of the stuff on the first album but that’s about it. Otherwise I didn’t write anything.

JK: I suppose that’s cool because it’s John’s baby…

MS: Yeah.

JK: I know he’s left SLOUGH FEG now, but I suppose that doesn’t stop you from carrying on.

MS: He wasn’t around that much at the end really, he was only at the tour and live shows really. He wasn’t participating and that was part of the problem.

JK: Who have you got to replace him?

MS: This guy Angelo from COLD MOURNING. They’re an underground doom band from Monterrey, CA. He plays a [Gibson] SG first of all, which I’m not crazy about. [laughs]. No, it’s fine, it sounds good, it’s heavier, and we were always just two Les Pauls for a long time but with the SG it gives us that heavier, doomier sound. He’s more into lead guitar than John was which is good, so we’re both doing leads all over the place, and he’s doing leads that are more ‘rock n roll’ leads where John would do these weird ‘jazzy’ leads. John is a fantastic musician, and there will be certain things I miss about him like I would write a riff and I’d ask him to do a harmony, and he’d just add in these great melodies. Angelo does that too but not to the same extent, he’s more into throwing leads in that are more ‘rock’ sounding which is good for the live show. I think what it really comes down to is that Angelo might be better for the live experience, and in the studio, John was really fantastic, but we’ll have to wait and see, maybe Angelo will be great in the studio too.

JK: Have you started rehearsing for this tour?

MS: Oh yeah, we’ve been playing shows. We just keep doing things all the time. We don’t take many breaks. We’ve done a show every month for the last three months in San Francisco. We’re doing one in Oakland in 2 weeks, so we’re rehearsing for the tour, and another album. Like I said, I’ve written music and we have an 8-track in the practice room so I’m starting to 8 track everything we play.

JK: How do you decide on your set lists? Are you leaning heavily towards Atavism for the upcoming tour?

MS: We even it out. It used to be heavily weighted on Down Among the Deadmen because at the time it came, it was our biggest & best album, in the ‘popularity’ sense. So we played mostly stuff from that and threw in songs from the other two albums, but then when Traveller came out, we still had the set heavily weighted towards Deadmen because we couldn’t do some of the stuff on Traveller. Now we do 3 or 4 songs from Traveller, 3 or 4 from Deadmen, 4 from Atavism, and only 1 from Twilight and 1 from the first album.

JK: Do you play “Addendum Galactus” by any chance?

MS: [laughs] We have never done that live.

JK: Did you know that’s my favorite SLOUGH FEG song?

MS: It is?! Oh, so you’re the guy…[laughs]…that’s crazy. To me, it sounds like a POLICE song – the vocals, with the way the harmonies are done, is what Sting would have done in the early 80’s.

JK: I love it. I love the verse riff, the harmonies bounce along really well.

MS: Yeah, the vocals work well on top of that riff.

JK: So which songs do you play off Traveller?

MS: “High Passage/Low Passage”, “Asteroid Belts”, “Professor’s Theme”, and “Gene-ocide”. And occasionally we’ll do “Baltech’s Lament” which is the mellow one with the acoustic guitar. Sometimes we do that live.

JK: I assume you wrote “Baltech’s Lament” on the acoustic?

MS: Actually no. It was originally going to be a doom song, a sort of a [proceeds to sing]…”DOOOOWWW DAAHHNNN’, like that, but slowly realized it didn’t work as well, so I threw it onto an acoustic guitar and played it that way.

JK: I spent so much time listening to Traveller, then Deadmen, then Twilight, but perhaps a month or so ago, it suddenly dawned on me that the debut is the best album. I guess I didn’t realize that until I understood the other albums first.

MS: Oh really? That’s a lot of people’s favorite.

JK: The vocal performance on that album is extraordinary.

MS: You know what? The vocal performance on that debut album is probably the best vocal performance on any SLOUGH FEG album [laughs]. That’s scary to me.

JK: With that said, the vocals on the new one are a complete return to form.

MS: It’s rougher, but yeah, we’ve tried to return to the roots of the debut. Yeah, you see I sometimes I put the first album on and I think “God, this is the best album we’ve done”. At times I feel that it says everything we wanted to say just in that 30 minutes or whatever it is.

JK: “Why Not” and “The Red Branch” are two of the greatest songs, at least vocally…

MS: Wow, thanks.

JK:…and you even managed to pull in the CONAN THE BARBARIAN theme into “The Mask”.

MS: Aha! Yes, well that’s on the re-issue yes. You know, no one noticed that we did that – there are two other bands that have done that, but we did it first. In 1993, we recorded that on the demo, but we did it live in ‘91 and ‘92.

JK: Do people recognize the CONAN riff?

MS: No one really did actually besides after the record was out for a while.

JK: Who were the other bands to do it?

MS: One band from around here, they were on an Italian label…I think they were called TOTAL ECLIPSE, and some other band in Europe did it on a demo. Neither one of them realized that we did it first actually.

JK: There’s also DIABOLICAL MASQUERADE. They used it on “Death’s Design”, but they literally just played the exact same thing as what’s in the movie, whereas you guys basically play a ‘variation of the theme’.

MS: Oh yeah, it just fits into the song.

JK: Which are your favorite songs from Atavism?

MS: I think the best song on that album is “Agony Slalom”. It’s such a fucking weird name, I don’t know why I keep doing that. I come back and look at it later and I wonder, “why did I call it that”?[ [laughs] But that song is great, and then “I will Kill you / You will Die” is a pretty good, cohesive piece. Those two songs don’t get awkward at any point at all. Also, “Hiberno-Latin Invasion” which is like the ‘pop single’ off the album that everyone seems to like so much. I like it because it was the last SLOUGH FEG collaboration between John and myself, and I think that one works. A lot of people really think about that one.

JK: Do you start the shows off with “I will kill you…”?

MS: No, not right now, but we might on tour. Right now we’re starting with “The Spinward Marches” from Traveller and then going straight into “Sky Chariots”.

JK: I LOVE “Sky Chariots” – especially the mid song MAIDENisms.

MS: Yeah of course, that one’s a total MAIDEN rip-off, you know, the way we throw in “Where Eagles Dare” right in the middle thinking no one would notice. [laughs]

JK: Is this year going to be busy for you in terms of touring just because you’ve also got the new HAMMERS album coming out soon too?

MS: Yeah, the new HAMMERS album is coming out but I don’t think there will be any touring with that any time soon, but for SLOUGH FEG there’s the whole month of July pretty much, and then November we’re going to Europe. It’s somewhat busy. I’m not sure exactly when the HAMMERS album is supposed to be coming out.

JK: It’s supposed to be this Fall. So might there be some HAMMERS touring at least next year?

MS: I don’t know. HAMMERS is in limbo. It’s in a weird situation right now. We did the tour last Summer, and some people came out of it not wanting to tour very much again, like John. He doesn’t like touring very much. We may do some short things but there’s a lot of questions in that band with regards to who’s going to be around so actually at this point I’m not sure what’s going on with it really.

JK: That’s a shame.

MS: Well, I do know what’s going on with it but John would have to reconfigure things a bit in order to have a lot of live shows coming up. Several people aren’t interested in doing much of that, and other people have other obligations, family, and so it’s tough.

JK: So it could be one of those things where HAMMERS only release albums but not tour?

MS: Yeah it probably will be something that turns out like that, I just don’t want to say for sure, because I enjoy touring with HAMMERS but it’s a different thing to SLOUGH FEG which is much more based on me, one person – I mean, I don’t mean to say it’s not a band, actually it’s more of a band at the same time because people have the opportunity to collaborate a lot more, but it’s not as dependent on everybody, whereas with John, if he didn’t want to tour, we got Angelo. SLOUGH FEG is much more malleable because I base all the importance on myself, and I’ve had to because over the years I’ve lost so many people. So much bullshit has happened, I’ve learned to NOT depend on anybody else. I just can’t feel secure that way.

JK: You almost put yourself in that situation though because, for example, with the HAMMERS, you’re the lead vocals and second guitar, and if they were to lose that, they would lose a big chunk of their sound.

MS: Yes, it would be very tough for the HAMMERS to go on without me, yeah.

JK: From a fan perspective, you could almost live without the HAMMERS touring, but not releasing any more albums wouldn’t be good at all.

MS: Well, I don’t see any problem releasing albums – you can always replace people in the studio. We’ll see what happens.

JK: How do you think The Locust Years turned out, at least comparing it to The August Engine?

MS: Better. There’s always been things that I haven’t been too crazy about on HAMMERS albums though because I don’t write the songs, and he does certain things that I wouldn’t do, and there are certain things I don’t agree with, but it’s John’s thing and I’m willing to sing on it. I won’t be willing to sing on anything I don’t like, or I have no reason to. At least, not any more. In order for HAMMERS to continue, they’ve come this far with one man calling the shots (after the first album), and it can’t really continue that way because people aren’t really interested in doing that, they want to be a band, including me. If we’re going to do it, it’s got to be more of a collaborative effort, so there will have to be some changes made. I think he could survive anyway.

JK: And what will it take to put in those changes? People just sitting down and coming to an agreement?

MS: No no, that will never work. People can agree to whatever they want to agree to. They can say whatever they want to say, but when it comes down to actually doing anything, I don’t know if it’s going to work or not – it might come to a big butting of heads. Or it may come to someone just taking over and saying “no, we’re going to do it this way. Does the majority say we’re going to do it this way? OK you’re outvoted.” [laughs]. I don’t know, or maybe it will come down to someone writing a song that everybody likes and we all agree to doing it.

JK: But you’ve worked with John for a while, and I assume you know him well enough as a person in order to predict where he might want to go with this.

MS: Yeah. That’s why I say it’s gonna be tough. [laughs]. It’s not going to be easy to get him to change something that he has control over. But he’s fine either way where he has the control and nobody else does.

JK: Did you enjoy making The Locust Years?

MS: Er…well I didn’t make much of it.

JK: OK, did you enjoy performing on it?

MS: I enjoyed performing on some of the songs, yes. Some of them, I didn’t enjoy that much, but most of it I enjoyed.

JK: Well then, when you say it’s “better”, in what way do you think it’s better?

MS: You sound like you’ve heard The Locust Years?

JK: No? I’ve only heard the title track that was released a few weeks ago on myspace.

MS: [laughs] Oh ok, I thought there were hijacked copies running around or something. It would be funny if there were. I wouldn’t be surprised at all, because The August Engine was just a mess….it was just done very….it wasn’t John’s fault…it was just done…I wasn’t even in the city very much at that point, I was traveling, or I was in LA a lot, and I learned most of the songs in the studio right before I sang them. So we didn’t have time to do anything, that album was done by John and the drummer just being in a room and making it up, so it didn’t have that ‘band’ feel to it at all. The Locust Years is WAY better because the songs had more time to develop and we had a better producer and engineer.

JK: What about the dynamic of having new blood in there with Jamie [bass/vocals] and Sigrid [hammond/keys]?

MS: Yeah, that energized things a bit. Sigrid has a strong personality and is a big part of the band. The whole spirit of the thing is enhanced by Sigrid particularly because she’s a very good musician. And she’s a fun person to play music with. In a way, she kept me going in wanting to continue with HAMMERS just with her joining the band. It’s just different, I don’t know how to describe it actually.

JK: We really like the HAMMERS, and it’s a shame because this is only the third album in and the potential…

MS: Yeah the potential has to be unlocked, and you can’t just be one person doing everything. So the potential will not be there. You see, on the first album [The Bastard], which I think is the best one, there wasn’t that much collaboration but I wrote a lot of the stuff I sang, part of the melodies, and I wrote some of the music on a couple of songs, but it wasn’t just me, everybody had more of a hand in it. It was more of a band effort and I think that comes out in the music. I think that’s true with anything, it’s always better when it’s a band effort. You know, “Hiberno-Latin Invasion” was John and myself. “Addendum Galactus” was John writing the music, and John and I arranging the music together, and me writing the vocals. “Sky Chariots” was mostly me, but some of John’s riffs as well…

JK: You would think that with the side bands John has, like LUDICRA, that he gets that all out of his system so he could open himself up more for band collaboration. Other than HAMMERS, you don’t really do the ‘side band’ thing do you?

MS: No, I don’t. That’s one of the reasons John isn’t in SLOUGH FEG anymore because he was spending too much time doing all this stuff with the other bands where he had more control. He just likes to have control over everything, where he mostly had control over LUDICRA and had all the control over HAMMERS, I don’t think SLOUGH FEG interests him as much unless he has all the control. Sorry, I like for him to collaborate, but he didn’t like touring. If you don’t like touring then you can’t be in SLOUGH FEG, that’s all there is to it.

JK: Did he join SLOUGH FEG before you participated in HAMMERS?

MS: HAMMERS was just starting. Not even playing music, just sort of writing music together between three or four people, two of which never even ended up on any record. And Erika Stoltz [LOST GOAT] who actually wrote a lot of the lyrics with me for The Bastard, we wrote some of that together, so John wanted it to be a collaborative effort from the beginning, but then he joined SLOUGH FEG shortly after that -- actually as a bass player at first. He filled in on bass while we were in Europe, and then when we got a bass player, he started playing guitar again. It’s kinda weird.

JK: Do you remember performing on the UNHOLY CADAVER demo?

MS: Of course. There’s not much of me on there but I remember it. That’s Erika Stoltz singing, the first singer. Yeah, we’re on our third female singer now.

JK: Is Janis still with PINK?

MS: No, she hasn’t been in PINK for over a year – she was in FIREBALL MINISTRY for a while, which is a pretty successful and terrible band, in my opinion, but now she’s not in that anymore either.

JK: So what is she doing now?

MS: I don’t know. I haven’t seen her, she lives in LA. When she was in FIREBALL MINISTRY, they opened up for DIO about four or five months ago, and she got me backstage to meet Dio. That was really cool, but that was the last I saw her.

JK: Do you prefer SABBATH with Ozzy or Dio?

MS: OH! Give me a break. I mean, I love the Dio albums but the Ozzy albums are the real thing.

JK: Do you like RAINBOW with Dio?

MS: Yeah! I like everything Dio did – well almost, except for some of those really cheesy albums he did.

JK: Do you remember the lead break that you play in “The August Engine part 1”? Doesn’t that sound like Ritchie Blackmore?

MS: Yeah, that’s what everybody says. It does. I mean, I never wrote it but both John and I play it live in harmony. It does sound a lot like Ritchie yeah. I like DEEP PURPLE, I like RAINBOW, but in RAINBOW I don’t like his guitar sound that much, I just like the band with Dio obviously, and the songwriting.

JK: I’ll be coming to see you guys when you come to NY. I did actually see you guys last year when you came out with the HAMMERS. I wanted to comment on both Jamie and Sigrid, and I agree, they both seem very approachable and easy to talk to. You obviously spend more time with them, but with them in the band, it was just a great show.

MS: Oh yeah, it was a great show. That was one of the best HAMMERS shows ever, that was fantastic. You see, that’s the kind of stuff that kept it going and that’s the kind of stuff that makes me really mad or upset that John doesn’t want to tour. HAMMERS could do ok touring, I mean on that tour we did ok – we played some dead shows but we could just shoot around and play places like New York. John wants to play places like New York, but you can’t just go and play New York, you have to play a bunch of places down the east coast, and pay for it, and somehow manage to get out there and make some money to pay for it all. It’s tough.

JK: The New York show was incredible. Those people in the front row were just going nuts for you guys!

MS: I don’t know who those guys were but that was pretty crazy. It was a great thing, but I think it was a freak chance, I mean, I don’t think the SLOUGH FEG show will be like that although I hope it will, but I think once in a while you think “how did that happen?”. SLOUGH FEG played in Germany once, and we thought no one’s going to come to the show, it’s out in East Germany, it’s in the middle of nowhere, right next to the Czech Republic border, and there’s probably not going to be anyone there, and we went there and it was probably the greatest show I’ve ever played in my entire life. It was totally packed, totally sold out with these crazy kids from 3 different countries, and they went absolutely nuts. We did 3 encores and it was just a freaky thing, much more freaky than that night in New York.

JK: I’ve always wondered, if you keep getting called out for unexpected encores, what happens when you play a song that you haven’t rehearsed?

MS: You suck. [laughs] But it’s an encore and everyone’s freaking out so much, nobody notices [laughs]. But usually you keep one for an encore.

JK: Or you could do a cover perhaps.

MS: [sarcastically] Yeah you could do the usual “Louie Louie” or “Paranoid” again, yeah.

JK: Do you do any covers on the road?

MS: SLOUGH FEG does, HAMMERS is very weirdly organized because, again, it’s just one guy making all the decisions a lot of the time so it’s kind of a mess. HAMMERS has practiced a million covers and never done any of them live because John always decides at the last minute that he doesn’t want to do it. SLOUGH FEG has played all sorts of covers – THIN LIZZY songs, or weird songs like “The Wizards Vengeance” [LEGEND]. We’ve done a lot of weird covers – we’ve done a GOVERNMENT ISSUE cover, hardcore. Just crazy oddball stuff.

JK: And then every now and then you do these 7” covers where you might cover a MANOWAR song or some NWOBHM track, do you ever play those songs live?

MS: Nah. Someone told us to do those, we never decided to do those songs. If we were going to decide for ourselves, we’d probably cover HORSLIPS [JK: a 70’s Irish folk rock band] or something like that. Perhaps BLACK FLAG, or something really unexpected. Not heavy metal, I don’t know why we would do that.

JK: OK to wrap things up, I have a few questions from the readers. Firstly, “Starport Blues” – is this a leftover from the Traveller sessions?

MS: Ahh! Yes! Not the recording, but the songwriting, yes! I wrote that song for Traveller and we even recorded some of the music and then gave up because the album was already long and we didn’t have the time to do the whole thing. We thought that we’d never pull it off and make it sound right with the budget we had, so we just practiced it and did it again for Atavism.

JK: I like it when you get that blues groove thing going. Every now and then you get songs like “BiPolar Disorder”…

MS: Oh yes.

JK:…right, and that’s where you hear the blatant BLACK SABBATH worship. Right there and the “Shadows of the Unborn”, the first track off the debut.

MS: Yeah, it’s just total SABBATH.

JK: OK next question. Jamie Myers – is she single and what are her thoughts on dating other bass players from Southern California?

MS: The answer to that is no. [laughs] She is not single. She’s not married, but she might as well be at this point. Believe me, if you met her, you’d think different – no I’m just kidding [laughs]…

JK: Well, there’s something about the tattoos and mean looking bass -- guys go for it.

MS: Oh sure, she’s attractive there’s no doubt about it. However, Sigrid is single so…[laughs]. She’s a fun party girl.

JK: I remember talking to her about the keyboard weighing 500lb.

MS: Oh you should talk to me about that, I remember that more than she did. It wrecked my back.

JK: Didn’t you guys lose some equipment on the HAMMERS tour?

MS: Yes we did. ‘Someone’ forgot to lock the trailer. I lost the guitar that I had since 1993. It was a Les Paul, so the one you saw me playing was a replacement. Somehow we had a little extra money at that point from the tour so because Jamie also lost her bass, that was $700 and my Les Paul replacement was $1200, so we just bought new ones. I bought it at Guitar Center with a 30 day return policy, so that happened in Minnesota, I bought the new Les Paul and I didn’t like it very much and when I got back to San Francisco I returned it and got the money back!! [laughs]. I kept it in good enough shape, I told them I didn’t like it very much and that it had just been sitting around the house. And it worked out really well because with the money I got back on that, I ended up finding a Les Paul “gold top” on-line for around $1000 so it worked out ok.

JK: So somebody out there found your Les Paul on the road, or drove over it.

MS: Yeah, and the funny thing is, in 1995 I lost that same Les Paul. It was sitting in the back of the truck and it got stolen, but I got it back. I gave the serial number to the cops and they found it in a pawn shop. Then I got it back in Southern California, but I don’t think I’ll get it back this time somehow.

JK: How long was it until the cops found it the first time?

MS: A year. It’s amazing that they did. The serial number goes through the system and when it goes into the pawn shop, it goes through a system and the cops find out. The LAPD did that, yeah.

JK: OK last reader’s question. Who’s managing the SLOUGH FEG website when it comes to placing orders?

MS: Why did someone lose an order?

JK: Yes.

MS: OK, tell anyone on your site that if they want to contact me, they can. [JK: if you think you’ve lost an order at their site, contact me and I’ll pass the message on]. I’m going to ask him to shut that thing down!

JK: OK we’re done! Any words to the fans?

MS: Just hi…er…I don’t know…sorry if we screwed you over on the website!! [laughs] Come see us live, we’re touring America for the first time, and if you’re in Europe we’ll be there too! And buy merchandise – it keeps us alive!

MS: OH! Give me a break. I mean, I love the Dio albums but the Ozzy albums are the real thing.

^RIGHT ON

Great stuff; can't wait for the show in July (that is, if I even end up going :erk: )

JK: I’m hoping that our webmaster was listening to “Life in the Dark Age” on his Twilight vinyl when he published that.

MS: Oh he found that huh? As far as I’ve heard, you can only get that on eBay now or something.

JK: He lives in Sweden and went to a record fair.

MS: Yeah, in Sweden you could probably get it. I can’t believe what that thing is worth – see what a BROCAS HELM vinyl might fetch you these days, maybe $100.
:tickled:

FYI, I've already contacted the record label to set me up with John Cobbett pretty soon. I'd love to get his side of things too. As you can imagine, when Mike started talking about the fate of Hammers, or at least the vibe in working with that project, my gut started to sink a little...

Still, looking forward to seeing Slough Feg and hearing The Locust Years. :kickass:

JayKeeley said:
FYI, I've already contacted the record label to set me up with John Cobbett pretty soon. I'd love to get his side of things too. As you can imagine, when Mike started talking about the fate of Hammers, or at least the vibe in working with that project, my gut started to sink a little...

Scalzi liked The Bastard more than August Engine, and from how I read it, it sounds like an ego thing. He wasn't involved as much in August Engine so bllleehh.

Of course, not liking August Engine as much makes him an insane person. That's not a bad thing since things like Atavism can't come from sane minds.

But Hammers is a signed and respected project. If Cobbett lost every single other musician in Hammers, he could still write, and probably gather session guys in as needed to record every couple of years. And this would probably be a good thing to keep everything sounding fresh and not 'formula.' If Chuck Schuldiner could be an egomaniac control freak and still be a legend with Death, why can't Cobbett? :p

JK: OK next question. Jamie Myers – is she single and what are her thoughts on dating other bass players from Southern California?

MS: The answer to that is no. [laughs] She is not single. She’s not married, but she might as well be at this point. Believe me, if you met her, you’d think different – no I’m just kidding [laughs]…
hahahahaha

The August Engine > Twilight of the Idols > The Bastard > others

I have Twilight on vinyl too, hooray for $10 Egay shopping.

Jim LotFP said:
Scalzi liked The Bastard more than August Engine, and from how I read it, it sounds like an ego thing. He wasn't involved as much in August Engine so bllleehh.

Ya, but, of course he is going to like something more if he had more to do with it because he would tweek specifics in a way that sounded better better to him. Only logical. :cool:

Jim LotFP said:
If Cobbett lost every single other musician in Hammers, he could still write, and probably gather session guys in as needed to record every couple of years.

I imagine that as a band plays longer together, and collaborate more, they start to play off each other and improvise. Of course, if it's only going to be studio work where you can record the same thing 100 times until you nail it, then yeah, it might work but I gather you sacrifice some feel/emotion in the music. Session players turn up, get the job done, leave. Very f'ing sterlie.

And this would probably be a good thing to keep everything sounding fresh and not 'formula.'

Yeah perhaps, but they haven't even released their 3rd album yet! They're still very much in their infancy.

If Chuck Schuldiner could be an egomaniac control freak and still be a legend with Death, why can't Cobbett? :p

Yeah but losing the front vocalist/2nd rhythm & lead guitar is slightly more detrimental then losing your bass player I'd think. :Spin:

Scalzi leaving the Hammers now would be a massive loss, at least to me. Still, that's only speculation for now.

Scalzi is an integral part of Hammers, the group simply wouldn't be the same without him on the mic. Yes The Cobbet Riff© would still be there, but come on:

SO YOU THINK THAT YOU KNOW ME,
JUST LIKE THOSE BELOW ME
AND YOU THINK THAT YOU'RE WISE
WITH THOSE BIG
WIDE
OPEN
EYES...

:kickass:

JayKeeley said:
I imagine that as a band plays longer together, and collaborate more, they start to play off each other and improvise. Of course, if it's only going to be studio work where you can record the same thing 100 times until you nail it, then yeah, it might work but I gather you sacrifice some feel/emotion in the music. Session players turn up, get the job done, leave. Very f'ing sterlie.

Oh like playing the same thing 100 times until it's nailed, protooling, and triggering the drums all to hell doesn't sacrifice the feel and emotion of almost every album out there these days. I think the poor conditions of the recording of the Hammers albums has contributed to their charm. No overprocessing. I don't see them getting budgets anytime soon to camp out for three straight weeks in some decent studio.

JayKeeley said:
Yeah perhaps, but they haven't even released their 3rd album yet! They're still very much in their infancy.

This sentence proves Hammers are of a very different breed than most metal. Most bands by their third album are so redundant that I want to strangle them. Or myself. Whichever makes the crap stop sooner.

JayKeeley said:
Scalzi leaving the Hammers now would be a massive loss, at least to me.

We couldn't know that until we saw how he was replaced.

Jim LotFP said:
Oh like playing the same thing 100 times until it's nailed, protooling, and triggering the drums all to hell doesn't sacrifice the feel and emotion of almost every album out there these days. I think the poor conditions of the recording of the Hammers albums has contributed to their charm. No overprocessing. I don't see them getting budgets anytime soon to camp out for three straight weeks in some decent studio.

Right, but I'm not talking about recording methods, I'm talking about the fact that two people who know each other and play together is more likely going to turn out better than an anyonymous session player turning up to get paid. Hired guns typically don't give a shit about the end result.

This sentence proves Hammers are of a very different breed than most metal. Most bands by their third album are so redundant that I want to strangle them. Or myself. Whichever makes the crap stop sooner.

Yeah, but that sounds like a little attention deficit thing going on there. :p Sometimes the third album works out ok - Master of Reality, Zeppelin III, Master of Puppets, Number of the Beast, I'm sure there are others. Have faith. :tickled:

I've always seen the third album as the place where a band's sound is usually either defined or perfected, having a perfect debut means nothing unless you can expand on it. As for HOM becoming a studio bound entity/revolving door lineup, John can of course do whatever he wants with it, but Mike's role on the first two albums is huge enough to leave a gigantic void.
And comparing Addendum to the Police should be a warning not to ever call these guys a throwback band, despite the admitted Maiden & Sab lifting...

One Inch Man said:
Scalzi is an integral part of Hammers, the group simply wouldn't be the same without him on the mic. Yes The Cobbet Riff© would still be there, but come on:

SO YOU THINK THAT YOU KNOW ME,
JUST LIKE THOSE BELOW ME
AND YOU THINK THAT YOU'RE WISE
WITH THOSE BIG
WIDE
OPEN
EYES...

:kickass:

FUCKIN RIGHT ON MAN! :kickass:

JayKeeley said:
JK: Ok what about MEGADETH?

MS: I liked the first album, but I’m not crazy about MEGADETH. I like some of it, but Bay Area stuff is not heavy metal to me in that it doesn’t have the same spirit. First of all, it’s too Americanized.

What the hell does "too Americanized" mean?

He knows his Sabbath.