Snare rolls

prizo

Noob
Nov 21, 2005
Calgary, AB
I'm currently using the Sneap drum samples (thanks Andy!).

When I program a snare roll it sounds like the drummer is hitting the snare fast, but using only 1 hand. It doesnt have the left-right-left-right sound.. its more right-right-right-right.

Anybody overcome this problem?

prizo said:
I'm currently using the Sneap drum samples (thanks Andy!).

When I program a snare roll it sounds like the drummer is hitting the snare fast, but using only 1 hand. It doesnt have the left-right-left-right sound.. its more right-right-right-right.

Anybody overcome this problem?
I don't know what drum sampler you are using, but usualy there are pads for samples, connected with different midi notes. Instead of layering all snare samples with different velocities on one pad and triggering that with only one midi note, make two pads with samples. Choose snare sample that sounds most different than other samples of the same snare to you, and put it on different pad and different midi note.
Now when programming role use original snares from one pad and this second pad interchangably. Don't make roll robotic by sticking to quantization, make some tempo variations, velocity variations, and you can also automate eq so that highs freq. are shelved when roll is playing. Hope this helps.