Custom 10 Ply Maple Snare Samples

pjcohen

Jan 20, 2012
Hi! I have a new sample set based on my previous mahogany snare: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/750426-custom-mahogany-snare-samples.html but incorporating the feedback I received on that set. I sampled a custom built 14inch by 6inch 10 ply maple snare. Recorded in 16bit, 44.1K stereo .WAV files. Mics used were a shure sm57 close mic, and neumann km 84s in an x-y position as close as I could get to my head, to best approximate the sound the drummer hears from his perspective. Available in four increasing velocities; soft, mid, hard, and crack. This time I did not record left and right hand variations, and cut back on some of the overheads in the mix for a dryer sound. Feedback is welcome and I'd love to hear any mixes you guys choose to use them in.

You can get them here: http://www.4shared.com/zip/v90iy-fq/Custom6x1410PlyMapleSnare.html

Thanks in advance for your input!

Take care,
-- Phill

Please don't take this as an insult or that I am ungrateful for the samples, but it is common practice when making samples to record multiple hits of the same velocity. The most common way is to record 5 soft, mid, hard and crack hits each. This way when there are two hits in a row of the same velocity, a triggering program can trigger a different sample of the same velocity which sounds more convincing and less static.

That being said, this is a great sounding snare that is obviously recorded skillfully. These samples are still very useful to me and I appreciate the contribution!

Please don't take this as an insult or that I am ungrateful for the samples, but it is common practice when making samples to record multiple hits of the same velocity.

that's true, but these might still be useful for blending, maybe to give a snare sound some nice bottom end. if these are anything like the truth 10-ply maple snare by sturgis i'll probably love the shit out of it.

Hey. At least it isn't just one single hit. People that do that suck, and I would have rathered they not wasted my time in the first place. :lol:

Or at least warned me before I download the worthless sample.

It's even worse when it's a good sample too! I love the way it sounds, but I can't do anything with it because of the machine gun! :(

Hey. At least it isn't just one single hit. People that do that suck, and I would have rathered they not wasted my time in the first place. :lol:

Or at least warned me before I download the worthless sample.

IMO, in certain occasions, one shots are an AMAZING tool to utilize when you're looking for balls to the wall drum sound.

IF, AND ONLY IF, the sample is PROCESSED to be used as only a "helper".

=D

Thanks for the input and for downloading, folks. I did these as single shot samples because I'd gotten feedback from my previous sample set that the multis weren't used due to being too "wet" sounding. So in this set, I cut down on the overheads in the mix, and worked to get the best single shot I could, focusing more on the variation between velocities. I truly hope these will prove useful, and I look forward to hearing them in any mixes in which you might find a use for them. :wave:

Thanks again! :D

-- Phill

Thanks for the input and for downloading, folks. I did these as single shot samples because I'd gotten feedback from my previous sample set that the multis weren't used due to being too "wet" sounding. So in this set, I cut down on the overheads in the mix, and worked to get the best single shot I could, focusing more on the variation between velocities. I truly hope these will prove useful, and I look forward to hearing them in any mixes in which you might find a use for them. :wave:

Thanks again! :D

-- Phill

You could always keep the samples separate so that Trigger users can blend the mics individually for each mix. Then that way you can do multi-sampled layers and not have that problem.