Custom Mahogany snare samples

pjcohen

Jan 20, 2012
Hi! This is only my second post in this forum so I hope it is well received. I sampled a custom built 14inch by 6.5inch mahogany single ply (steambent) snare. Recorded in 16bit, 44.1K stereo .WAV files. Mics used were a shure sm57 close mic, and neumann km 84s in an x-y position as close as I could get to my head, to best approximate the sound the drummer hears from his perspective. Available in left and right hand variations with four increasing velocities; soft, mid, hard, and crack. I feel I created nice variation and the crack samples are really great. Feedback is welcome and I'd love to hear any mixes you guys choose to use them in.

You can get them here: http://www.4shared.com/zip/ozHV53kU/PhillCohenSnare14x65CustomMaho.html

This is a nice sounding sample, but it really is only going to be useful for blending since there's only one hit per strength. In the future if you recorded around 5 hits per strength(5 Rims, 5 Hard etc.) it would yield much more desirable results. Anyway I appreciate the contribution and I am sure this will get used by me in some way :kickass:

Haha yeah I'm recording my bands first EP right now and the drum sounds aren't so great so I'm in sampling frenzy mode. On that note I very well may make a TCI and for this and post it when I get a chance :kickass::Smokin::headbang::loco:

FarBy0ndMetal: There are really two hits per strength, one for each hand. I'll admit they don't sound that different but most metal songs I've heard don't have much variation in the harder velocity snare sounds.

Small note, for the crack samples, I left out an H in the word "hand" in the file names if you want to fix that once you've downloaded them.

Glad everyone is enjoying it and I look forward to seeing the .TCIs and/or .GOG files - I don't use Drumagog myself but I know how many people do!

Take care,

-- Phill