Snare similar to Running Wild - Black Hand Inn album???

Rocka_Rollas

New Metal Member
May 11, 2015
Does anybody have any ideas where to get snare samples that sounds as similar to this as possible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W98k2f4hVTw

I know they just have real drums with lots of reverb/room and shit on this recording but I'm just talking about a similar tuned snare. Reverb I can fix myself :metal: but room would be nice too. And I know much EQ is necessary. But the less the better!

I have NEVER found a snare on modern sample packs that sounds anything like this. And I'm super picky

It's 80's style produced snare - so called gated reverb (it's biggest part in it's sound here).
Good reverb (plates are mostly used), use it as send fx and use sidechained noise gate. Probably some EQ too. I'm suggesting to try TAL reverb 2 (free).

Yeah I know that whole process (I do that amost all the time)

The problem is finding snare samples that sounds good for this type of sound. I have always used either my acoustic drums or sampled my drums to get a close sound but I can't get endlessly of different sounds from the same snare, even with different drumheads, hahaha.

And I rather not get a new snare because I don't play or record drums often enough to consider a new snare worth it. I rather get new samples instead.

For me it sound like single shot snare sample - pretty snappy, but it has hi % wetness.
Try to get alesis d4 samples (fat city or RimCntr) or something pretty similar, than add transient designer + soft clipping and run it through reverb (probably with EQ shaping reverb)
I think you can get REALLY close to that sound even with Steven Slate samples without processing them more.

No I'm sure they didn't use any samples on Black Hand Inn (or any other album before Victory when they started using full-out drum machine)

This is from the same album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1anVuRXj2g
I'm sure it wasn't possible to do realistic enough sampling for that intro back in 1995

Keep in mind, it's Jörg Michael drumming, that guy hits so fucking hard and consistent it really does sound like a drum machine when he's behind the kit.

Single-shot samples are a no-no for me because I usually play really fast songs and it sounds redicolous without multisamples

Dude drum sampling started in 80's era. Def Leppard drummer Rick Allen was with one hand and in their studio records was used first PC DAW with 8bit sampling. 8bit doesn't always mean down sampled lo-fi as Nintendo.