Ludwig Black Magic snare drums

B

buhzie2

I have a 6.5x14 Ludwig Black Magic snare. Pretty much a budget version of a black beauty.

Let me first say that I am very experienced at getting awesome drum tones and I know how to tune drums immaculately.

But when it comes to this drum, I can't get a decent sound out of it for the life of me. I've tried tons of different batter and resonant head combinations (remo emperor, ambassador, black x, cs dot, misc evans heads), different snare wire combinations, high tunings, low tunings, medium tunings, muted, open, etc. This drum sounds boxy, flat, unresponsive and one dimensional at all tunings. It's like it has no life and no depth. I am SO disappointed with it. :erk:

I read only good reviews of it online and for the price, it was definitely a no brainer. $340 for a quality black nickel over brass shell, die cast hoops, and the ludwig name sounded too good to be true.

I'm hoping that there are some people out there who have played or own this snare and have any similar observations.

Try getting some triple-flanged hoops for it. Much of the sound of drums like Black Beauties and Supraphonics has to do with the hoop design - the Black Magic has die cast hoops, which are going to yield a different sound than traditional Ludwigs.

On my Black Beauty I use a Remo Controlled Sound on the batter side and a Remo Ambassador Snare Side on the resonant side. Works great.